5.0 out of 5 stars Men of Sunday
Men of Sunday by Curtis Eichelberger is a real look at football and faith in the NFL. It focuses on the how the coaches, players, and families involved in it deal with the temptations that the NFL brings with it, and faith.

Published 20 months ago by Sheri Newton

3.0 out of 5 stars Inside view of faith's function in the NFL
Published 23 months ago by Scott Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Inside view of faith's function in the NFL, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Men of Sunday: How Faith Guides the Players, Coaches, and Wives of the NFL (Paperback)
Curtis Eichelberger's Men of Sunday is not what I thought it was going to be. That's not to say its bad; its just not what I expected. Typically, the sports/Christianity books I've read tell the story of an athlete/coach/team and their faith may be mentioned to varying degrees. Reading the names of the NFL players and coaches associated with this book, I expected much of the same.

Instead, I ended up with something completely new, at least in my opinion. Men of Sunday isn't simply how various people in the NFL are Christians. It deals much more with the role of faith in the NFL, using the people as examples. As I read, I kept trying to figure out how I would describe Men of Sunday to someone and I was continually stumped. What I've come up with is this: Men of Sunday is a book for people involved with, or soon to be involved with, professional football. It reads almost like a blueprint or workshop wherein the role of faith in all aspects of NFL life is described. Eichelberger interviewed hundreds of current and former players, coaches, and the wives of players.

Chapters include discussions about how a Christian can play such a violent game; how players (and their wives) use faith as a guard against groupies and other poor lifestyle choices; how wives use Bible studies to strengthen their families; the role faith plays in the transition from player to civilian; and how faith helps players deal with unexpected tragedy in their lives.

I found myself liking some of the chapters more than others, simply because of my interest level in the topics discussed. One highlight for me was reading about Ray Lewis's view on servant leadership. Also, Trent Dilfer's heartbreaking story about the loss of his son is worth the price of the book. Rarely do you see an athlete open up so completely about something so personal.

Overall, Men of Sunday was an interesting read. I would recommend it to people involved with the NFL, or people who are really curious about how faith works in professional football.

I received a copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men of Sunday, November 13, 2012

Men of Sunday isn't a simple book about football and faith. It does obviously focus on how the people involved within the NFL use faith as a tool to keep them grounded and away from temptations thrown at them, but it also shows how faith can help people involved in any professional sport to stay grounded.

Football is a violent sport, and many people wonder how someone with such faith could be in such a sport. This book takes a look at that, in a way you may not expect. The players become celebrities and role models, even though they are just playing a game that they love. Often players that don't have faith or ones that are too tempted by groupies, riches, and drugs, stray very far off of their moral path along the way. Faith can be intercepted back into their lives though, and make for some amazing last-minute touchdown transformations.

There are inspiring and uplifting stories in the book, and also heartbreaking ones. Each story featured in the book is worth reading and will give you a new outlook on the NFL. I highly recommend this book for fans of the NFL.

* Thank you to the publisher of Men of Sunday, Thomas Nelson, for providing me with a copy of this book for review as part of their Book Sneeze program. All opinions expressed are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, September 1, 2012
S.C. Jeges (Morgantown, WV) - See all my reviews
I've enjoyed Curtis Eichelberger's sports writing for all of his years with Bloomberg. As a result, I was really looking forward to reading his first book. I was not disappointed! Men of Sunday is well written and very interesting. It is a must read for football fans and/or for those who are interested in how the faith of the players and coaches in the NFL impact their lives and the game they love. In particular, I really enjoyed the author's ability to convey the challenges and tribulations faced by the players in their quest to perform at their best in an incredibly high stress and violent game, all while simultaneously dealing with the mundane family challenges that plague us all.

In my opinion, this book is long overdue. For years, football fans have continued to see an ever increasing amount of faith based statements by players and coaches in the media, but, until now, no one has examined the attitudes and life styles underlying these statements. This book takes an honest, behind the scenes look at how faith has impacted the lives of some of the most successful and well loved NFL personalities. I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christian fan of pro football, February 9, 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book because as a Christian who goes to Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, i liked reading about the players, coaches and wives faith. I am a big fan of both college and pro football. The book was very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put it in your Man Cave, December 21, 2013
Perfect for any man who wants to read about football players that are true role models. We don't hear about these men, because bad behavior- even, illegal behavior- is the only news published about athletes. Here's reason to believe that football is the All-American sport!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian Football Fan Loves This Book!, December 10, 2013
This book was not really what I expected it would be, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I expected it to be more like a Chicken Soup for the Soul for Football Fans. A small insight into their Christian lives, and it is, but it is so much more.

Not only do we get to read about some of their personal walks with God, we also get a feeling of what it is like for them on the field. How some of them struggle with how to be a Christian while playing a pretty brutal game, and how they work through it all.

As a Christian football fan, I was anxious to learn about my fellow Christians and stars of the NFL world. I was pleased to read about the team pastors, coaches, and wives. I was sucked into their world for just a few minutes while I read their stories. My heart broke as they dealt with horrible loss, and at the same time rejoiced for them when God answered their prayers.

I don't typically re-read books, but this is one that I know I will read again. It is a great book, and you would be crazy not to pick one up for yourself.

I received a free copy of this book via BookSneeze in exchange for my honest review. Thank you, BookSneeze.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book is for a relative, November 20, 2013
This book was a gift for a family relative. Unfortunately, I did not read it before I sent it. I am hoping the family member is receiving a message from much like the one I received when I heard about the book over the radio.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another perspective on football and its players, August 31, 2013
D. Mattox (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
I requested to read and review Men of Sunday: How Faith Guides the Players, Coaches, and Wives of the NFL by Curtis Eichelberger near the end of the last football season. It's taken me awhile to finish it, but the start of the 2013-14 football season seemed like a prefect time to bring this book back out.

Men of Sunday is a really interesting read as it looks at the place faith in God takes in the world of those in the NFL. For me, it was a comforting discovery as a Christian and a fan of football, because I have struggled many times with the way it often feels like football trumps God in the lives of many as soon as the season begins.

It didn't take long to get sucked into the book, and it really grabbed can my attention as it delved into how a Christian can play such a violent game, in which they know they will at some point injure a fellow player. "...while the game is violent, all players on the field know the rules and agree to share the risks equally..." p. 37

From there it took a good long look at how faith impacts players, coaches and their families through interviews and personal stories. It's a true study of the intersection of football and faith. I learned so much about many players and coaches that I had only known by name and team.

If you love football and want to take a look at the players outside of stats, scores and the usual media coverage, I recommend checking out Men of Sunday and get another perspective of the sport and its players.

***I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Humane And Well-Written Account of Faith In Football, August 6, 2013
Nathan Albright (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
[Note: This book was provided free of charge by Booksneeze/Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for an honest review.]

Given my interest in the intersection of faith and sports and public culture, it is no surprise that I read this book with some interest. The author claims in the acknowledgements section to have taken six years to collect the stories for this book, and that is easy to believe, given the rich and varied tapestry of stories that deal with everything from the football wives of the Arizona Cardinals holding weekly bible studies and then giving a cold shoulder to the groupies at football parties to the origin of praying after touchdowns (it didn't start with Tebowing, and Tim Tebow, surprisingly enough, isn't mentioned until becoming one of the central people, along with Ray Lewis, in the book's final chapter on leadership). Despite the length of time that this book took to research and write, some elements of it appear a bit sloppy. For example, the last part of the last chapter examines the successful seasons of various professed Christians after the lockout of 2011, and has the Steelers losing twice in the playoffs (once to the Tebow-led Broncos in the wild card round and then again to the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, which had happened at the end of the previous season), an error that was irksome to me as a Steelers fan and also a bit disruptive to the author's credibility in crafting a pro-faith narrative.

That blunder reveals one of the tensions within this book, and that is a tension between the desire to show faith as a positive element in the lives and careers of professed Christians, a group as diverse as Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary and Mark Brunell and many, many others (some famous, some obscure, as this book casts a wide net in looking at the role of faith in football) and the desire to show how Christians have to struggle with the same problems and temptations as everyone else, not always with success. Overall, except in some instances (like the closing of the book), this tension does not harm the book, but rather expresses the sort of tension that is commonly felt by believers between enjoying the blessings that come from belief and having to build strength of character and faith to endure the tribulations that come from life as a person striving to follow God (however we understand His ways) in a clearly fallen and depraved world. There are some very heartbreaking stories in this book, including miscarriages and the death of children, besides the omnipresent reality of injury and abrupt career changes and the financial and emotional problems that often result from the loss of the stability and order of a football career. Likewise, this book also forthrightly comments on the irony of so many professed believers playing a violent game that often leads to serious injuries.

The fact that this narrative is constructed so much around narratives gives it a richness and variety that provides a great deal of insight into the minds and lives of professed Christians, even as the stories bounce off of each other in unexpected ways. Most players admit struggles with the entitlement mentality that comes from being the "big man on campus" with access to parties and easy no-strings-attached-except-child-support-payments-sex (a problem that most of us would struggle with even if we cannot remotely relate to) while also dealing with questions of having to build faith in God's will when dealing with injuries, trades, being cut from the team, or the inevitability of retirement and the financial problems that often result from a sudden loss of a massive income. While not all of these problems are likely to be relatable to the reading audience of this work (which ought to be wide), the stories do make the "men of Sunday" talked about real life flesh and blood humans rather than the gridiron gladiators that they may seem to be.

As a humane book written well and with an elegant and sympathetic prose style, this book does much to explain the tensions within our culture between sports and religion, even if it does not comment directly on the fact that for many football is a religion on its own in competition with Christianity, as well as the fact that football is a key element in the "circus" element of sports that serves no less vital social functions for our nation as the gladiatorial games played for ancient Rome some two millennia ago when Christians were also a part of the entertainment. Life is full of ironies, and if this book does not explore all of or even the most serious of those ironies, it does show that football players struggle with the same ethical dilemmas of living out their faith that everyone else does, and that task alone makes this a worthwhile and enjoyable read for any fan of American football who also is interested in the public role of Christianity in contemporary American society, and a read that is full of scriptural references given in interviews by football players themselves besides being a treasure trove of deeply personal conversations about faith and football.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men Of Sunday....GREAT BOOK!, March 20, 2013
I am an avid football fan! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!!!!! From August through February Super Bowl, I am the one on the couch while my husband is the one taking care of kids and in the kitchen. He doesn't care much for football...he is all about hockey...but me....there is no greater sport in my opinion!!! I really don't know why I love the sport. Maybe because I loved spending time with my dad...and that is what we did, we watched football and tinkered with cars! Regardless of why I love it, I have another....greater love and that is of Jesus Christ. When you put football and Jesus in the same book....BAM! I AM SOLD!!! Men of Sunday was just what I needed to read. I needed to know that there are men on the field every Sunday playing my favorite sport and playing it to give God the Glory! That is AWESOME! I LOVED the interviews that were done in this book! Not only did I learn a ton about some of my favorite people and even some that I had no idea were Christians...but I also learned a lot about myself and leadership roles. I am not saying that I thought every one in the NFL was a heathen before this book. I knew that there were Christians who played ball, just like there are Christians in Hollywood...but sadly, they are few and far between...or at least they say their Christians, but they certainly don't live their lives that way. These men and wives of the NFL in this book DOOOOOO live their lives in a Christ like way and I think that is SOOO cool! I was already a fan of many of the people in this book....but there are a few more that I am going to be keeping my eye on now! Why? Not just because they are Christians....we are told to love everyone...but because through this book, I have learned a lot for myself personally and I have the men and wives of Sunday to thank for it! Thanks to Curtis Eichelberger for bringing two of my passions into one!!!!!!

HIGHLY recommend this book....if your football player....and honestly...even if you're not!
Buy your copy HERE!

Men of Sunday: How Faith Guides the Players, Coaches, and Wives of the NFL
Men of Sunday: How Faith Guides the Players, Coaches, and Wives of the NFL by Curtis Eichelberger (Paperback - August 28, 2012)
$15.99 $13.15