Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Men's Health Big Book of Food & Nutrition: Your completely delicious guide to eating well, looking great, and staying lean for life!
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 19, 2012
Our grocery stores and restaurant menus are filled with so much bad food these days it can be quite hard to eat healthily and stay fit. Further complicating the matter is a never-ending torrent of diet trends, leaving unsure as to which to follow.

This book has a lot of simple, workable advice on how to lose weight and get in shape by eating a balanced, but not overly strict, diet. I liked the list of healthy foods to include in my diet and the spot-on explanation of the proper use of carbs, proteins, and fats.

This book debunks some common diet and nutrition myths, such as why eating eggs won't raise your cholesterol, why a rib-eye won't raise your risk of heart disease, and why fish isn't always the healthiest choice on the menu.

This book has a good collection of recipes of tasty food that helps you lose weight without feeling like you're "dieting." I did, however, find some of them a bit hard to prepare as I'm not a whiz in the kitchen.

All in all, I'm glad I got this book.

P.S. I also highly recommend Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Lean Muscle Series)if you're looking for a complete training and nutrition program for building muscle and losing fat as quickly as possible. This book really breaks it ALL down and debunks of a bunch of nonsense out there.
on February 4, 2011
If you haven't picked this book up yet, do yourself a favor and get it. There are a lot of simple facts that will help you make the proper nutritional choices throughout your day. This book is not a cure-all, but it will definitely get you on the track to eating well and feeling great. This book debunks many of the 'I heard...'-type facts about food. The food list in the middle of the book is great. Definitely pick up this book!
on February 18, 2011
Great book with a lot of helpful info. But as the other reviewer noted there is no specific nutrition plan, although there are some general nutrition recommendations, which are easy to follow. I started to follow some of them and joined the gym (I used Big book of exercises to create workout plan) and as far as I can tell it works. Not feeling deprived I lost 8-10 pounds in a month although I did not have much of extra weigh (Before that I had been doing some exercises at home and had eaten what I thought right but apparently I had been overlooking several things.)

The only drawback for me is that recipes section could contain more of less sophisticated recipes for the a guy like me who does not really have much of cooking experience.
Seriously I can't get enough of this book. I bought it on a whim as a reference for my new foray into healthful eating. I kept looking up food nutritional facts and liked the idea of them all being in one easy-to-find place. This book is so much more than that.

It starts off with a huge section of frequently asked questions. You can literally read through these, learning fact after fact after fact. It covers all ranges of topics from food choices, water consumption, healthful benefits in food, etc. This book also includes tons of information about food labels, starting a diet, etc. The bulk of this book is a list of the Healthiest Foods. Each one has a big colorful picture and their nutritional facts. Tons of food is listed, including fruits and vegetables, breads and grains, spices and herbs, and meats and cheeses. The back is full of recipes - a large amount of them look delicious and I can't wait to start trying them.

My chief worry was that it would be predominately geared toward men. This wasn't a problem. Only a handful of times did I even notice something geared toward men, usually in the questions section in the beginning. It was never an issue.

I am definitely more interested in the Men's Health/Women's Health books and will look into the others.
on February 23, 2011
This book is full of good information about the foods we eat, and the eating habits we practice. It offers practical advise to those looking to become more conscious about their food choices. Learn why certain food are healthy, why most diets fail, and how to overcome this and eat a healthy diet.
on October 6, 2014
Awesome book for recipes and dinner ideas.

- Healthy & Delicious Dinner Recipes
- Informative
- Thorough, lots of information

And its done by Men'sHealth, awesome book!
on May 1, 2015
what a very obscurely designed book...
It has the most random organizations and info table and it skipped to recipes after awhile....
It has pretty pictures but makes me think of...

It's like the book was written and designed by a designer and not a nutritionist or dietician... I mean if you want a pretty book to start with I guess this is the one to go... It just cannot be your only source because you will look like you don't know what you are doing but only pretending to be...
on March 13, 2013
Yes this book will take you back to the basics but it is a great read. It has a vast list of all foods organized by category and includes their nutritional information. The beginning of the book has alot of Q & A that you may or may not already know but still good to refresh yourself for when you go shopping for food, and the end of the book has some great recipes that are sophisicated but easy to prepare. I would recommend this book as a must have for any Food or Fitness library.
on October 5, 2012
This book is great and a must have for any one interested in Men's health. It is super easy to understand, has wonderful pictures and great, easy recipes too. It is extremely informative explaining what kinds of foods to eat, when and why. It really breaks it all down in such a simple, applicable, and non-boring way that you really want to read the whole book. You can skip around in the book as well which makes it even more useful. Definitely buy this for yourself or as a gift! Whether you are new to learning about proper food choices or you are a pro you won't be disappointed!
on October 2, 2015
I like this book a lot, but it's not what I was really looking for. It's very basic and more of an encyclopedia of food with its nutritional breakdowns. I was looking for something more advanced than this, but it's a good book that we use as a quick reference for foods we don't cook very often.