5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for men's style

Published on October 16, 2009 by Monk24

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for men's style, January 2, 2008
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
I read the local library's copy and just purchased a copy to keep. I read through several men's style books a couple months ago and I found this one to be the best. It covers all parts of the man's wardrobe (shoes, suits, shirts, ties, coats, etc.) and it's very well-versed on the history of men's style and where conventions of dress originated. It's not just a history lesson though, it has a lot to say about how to dress, how to look for quality, and what a man needs to build a versatile and tasteful wardrobe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I at least take the exam?, March 28, 2009
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
Before reading this book, I would have flattered myself that I belonged in what Russell Smith calls the "Advanced Class" -- men who know enough about the basics of men's style to be able to bend the rules a little in order to display more personality, yet not transgress the bounds of elegance, masculinity, and taste. Having read Mr. Smith's entertaining, intelligent, and opinionated book, though, now I'm not so sure. After all, one of the author's standing jokes is about men who wear double-breasted green suits. I have one in my closet, not far from shirts with button-down collars and/or monograms on the sleeve, all of which he dislikes. He believes fedoras (which I've recently taken to) are usually a bad idea, and cowboy boots (I own two pairs -- I'm from Texas), always one.

So while the author might not grade my style too highly, I am happy to give his a high grade indeed. "Men's Style" is a very well-written and argued book. It makes the case for taking style and how you present yourself seriously (which in fact is one of the best and most useful things about this book, since so many men do not seem to agree), while maintaining the sense of humor and eye for the personal that keeps the well-dressed man from coming off as soulless and corporate. It's a very fine line to walk, but "Men's Style" maintains this balance better than any such primer I've come across in some time.

Like those other guides, "Men's Style" goes into detail on fabrics for suits and shirts, how to polish your shoes, what tie knots to wear when, and all the other things books like this need to cover. But as I've said, this one stands apart not only for the author's distinctive prose, but also because he fits all these things into a confident and articulate intellectual case for not being afraid to take aesthetics seriously. Because this book is more opinionated than most of those other guides (I particularly liked his reminder that "button-down shirt" refers to a certain type of collar, not to shirts that button down the front, which are known as ... "shirts"), you'll probably find more to disagree with here than you would in, say, something by Alan Flusser. But as either an introductory guide or a refresher course for true members of the Advanced Class, "Men's Style" deserves to take its place in the fraternity of the best writing on men's clothing.

2.0 out of 5 stars One's personal taste does not equal universal wisdom, October 16, 2009
Monk24 "monk24" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
The interesting bits (and the reasons for the second star) is the technical information on the construction of shirts, shoes and suits. The irritating part is the patronising tone. The list of this Mr Smith disapproves of, disdains or despises is long and includes button down collars, fraternities, boat shoes, "newspaper men" and hats (yes, all hats) and he gets vitriolic on these. The list of things he likes is shorter: pocket squares and spread collars, British style in general and that of Prince Charles in particular. This is fine as an opinion, as a personal taste, but don't present it as universal wisdom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've Ever Read On This Topic, March 30, 2009
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
I've read a few books on the topic of men's and women's style and this one, in its subdued presentation, is by far the best.

It came to me with no cover, slightly used, and inviting in its pale, solid, blue exterior. From the first few pages it becomes evident that the author knows everything about which he writes. He lays down the laws of what to do and what not to do, all the while tirelessly praising the British as the be-alls-to-end-alls; the alphas and the omegas of fashion and style. It's referentially sycophantic and often a little awkward. If you can get past that, you're in for a great treat - a great bit of wealth through knowledge.

From slacks to shoes to skater boi shorts to dinner clothes to leather pants, this piece has it all. And for good measure, the author throws in little tidbits of trend and style history to help you understand just why you're taking an interest in the first place. Excellent, excellent book.

However, I have to add that I don't agree with everything the author says. He tends to open the otherwise cracked doors that separate man from the fem a little too widely. He often encourages men to do some pretty prissy things. See for yourself and judge.

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep coming back to R. Smith's book. It's a gem., February 28, 2010
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
I'm in my 30s & work in both the science & media industry in New York City. When I made the transition to really caring about how I dressed, I read Russell Smith's book along with several other style books for men. His writing is practical, unambiguous, insightful, and his choice to use few illustrations a welcomed relief for helping me form my own sense of style. His book just works for me.

Although I have read other books on men's style, I keep finding myself referring back to Smith's book whenever I or my friends (or family) pose questions about style, a clothing, or an event that requires dressing up. "Men's Style" is a gem. I highly recommend other guys to read it first before buying a whole bunch of other books on the same subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Style and Substance, January 31, 2010
kthdimension (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
Russell Smith's 200+ page style guide is a must-have for any man aiming to develop a solid sense of style based on timeless principles and the appreciation for a proud and meticulous appearance. If you already fancy yourself a dandy, however, the advice proffered by Smith may be material already familiar to you, although the brief history lessons may still be worthwhile. For those men who have yet to graduate to the fashion advanced class, Smith collates and presents an array of rules dictating tasteful male fashion: "Rules are men's friends; they can substitute for taste" (pp.24). Although this book is relatively compact, Smith discusses all the important fashion elements: shoes, suits, jackets, shirts, ties, hardware (e.g. watches, cuff links), formal wear, casual wear, underwear, outerwear, scent, and hair. As much as this book is a presentation of facts about male clothing and appearance, however, it is also Smith freely interjecting his opinion about what he considers stylish, swanky, and even stupid. No matter your level of sartorial skill, this book is worth having, reading, and referencing if you have questions about shoes, lacing, vests, jackets, slacks, cologne, or the like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Style - So much more than a fashion rulebook, December 13, 2009
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
I just finished reading Russell Smith's STYLE: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress. I have to say I was duly impressed. I kept waiting for it to slip into the realm of snobbery, and it verged on it, but what started out as snobbery, came out, in the end, as honesty and insight.

I most definitely am not the market for this book. Ostensibly this is a guide to the rules of men's fashion, and it fulfils that role well, in an interesting and witty manner. But the premise is that if you're not wearing a suit, anything goes. I hardly ever wear a suit.

He does offer pointers for 'casual' dress, but feels that this is dangerous territory because most people have no sense of style, which is very true. Just take a look around. I have no real interest in the "rules" of fashion but picked the book up out of curiosity.

The real rewards for me were Mr. Smith's insight into culture, trends, and class, which transcends fashion and finds applications almost everywhere. I've cited this book dozens of times to back social insights that have nothing whatsoever to do with fashion. So my take away was that this is a great read, and maybe more aptly titled, "the thinking man's guide to culture." I found it insightful and extremely readable.

If you're looking for a "guide", but don't want some stuffy dry tome, you can't go wrong here. But even if you couldn't care less about the rules of fashion but enjoy good writing and social insights (in other words, you're like me) this book is still worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars good advice, May 17, 2009
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
This book is a keeper. It does not tell you anything about what is current in fashion but rather how to dress with any current fashion. I got this for my husband, who now dresses much better. It is a good read for anybody that likes to see themselves or the man in their life looking good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible in the true sense of the word, November 25, 2008
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
It's obvious from the first sentence in the book that Mr. Smith is no Metro-sexual who happened to have landed a book deal. This book is too eloquent, too informative and far too witty to ever pass it off as just a "how to" book.

Russell Smith truly understands what it means to be a man and how to look like one. He also understands that what you wear is an indication of your consideration for other people. I find this refreshing, especially as someone in their late 20's.

Every man should use this book as a bible for fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for the modern man wanting to look his best, March 31, 2008
This review is from: Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress (Hardcover)
Russell Smith is a Canadian writer whose work appears in The Globe and Mail, as well as the Toronto-based website, xyyz.com. In this little book, Smith provides timeless advice for selecting clothing that is both well-made and eminently stylish.

For example, he walks the reader through both what to look for in finely crafted dress shirts, ties, shoes, and sportjackets, and also gives detailed advice on choosing colors, patterns, and fabrics.

Though he clearly appreciates classic men's clothing, Smith departs greatly from dogmatists like Alan Flusser, reconciling the best of the "rules" with the sartorial realties of 21st century. Arguably the best of the modern style guides.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa0455a5c)

Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress
Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress by Russell Smith (Hardcover - April 3, 2007)
Used & New from: $3.37