5.0 out of 5 stars Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio: Fun, Fun, Fun!
Published on October 19, 2011 by Professor Emeritus P. Bagnolo

Published on December 13, 2011 by Bargain Lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio: Fun, Fun, Fun!, October 19, 2011
Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio
This toy is fun and a fine learning tool which promotes dexterity. It states in the warnings section "Chocking Hazard, Not for children under three years of age" I doubt if most 3 year olds could safely or effectively operate the toy, however our 10 year old had no trouble readying and operating it and our very active and bright four year old, with a bit of instructional guidance began making art, using her own drawings, as well as the stock sheets of picture that came with the toy. This version of the toy, which can also be used as a game, contains a variety of sounds, most of which, because this version is dedicated to Cars, has mostly sound associated with same. However, the series of Disney/Pixar versions include, in other freestanding sets: A Star Wars Meon, a Meon Disney's Fairies version, as well as a Meon Picture Maker Super 6 Pack Star Wars.

This is a thrill for most children to see their own art lit up and bristling with apropos active sound effects. The set also contains a Room Alarm system, with a timed sound activated alarm with sound and lights flashing to alert the child to intruders, (such as much younger brothers and sisters), though this feature may not be a favorite with some parents.
Our four year old is a very talented artist, (for her age) and the colors, sounds (Hand activated) and seeing her work in what simulates media, is a thrill for her.
However, if art is not your child's thing, many additional picture sheets are available for download, which she, our tiny four-year artist quickly and easily learned to operate. The accompanying pegs are snapped into place and the "wires", which are threaded by hand around and about the pictures, provide lights, then snap the Flash Mode 1, 2 or 3 for sound to "animate" some images and off they go. There are twelve picture sheets provided, but one can download more from the given URL for their website.

There are six "Modes" for a variety of effects and a MUSIC VISUALIZER, with flashing lights, which is available for some of the six modes. However, FLASH MODE 1, 2, 3 can be used with all of the picture sheets. Among the most appreciated features for our four-year-old Wunderkind, was to turn off the room-lights and allow the Meon to flash its lights around her art in the darkened room.

2.0 out of 5 stars A lot of work for a little flash, should have a plug-in option, December 13, 2011
Bargain Lover (Bellevue, Washington USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio (Toy)
While this is cool looking, I would not recommend it for younger children. My 5-year-old received this as a gift and it was too complicated for him to do on his own. In order to have a scene to display, you have to take off the cover, plug in 6 neon cords, put a paper picture on the board, hold it in place with pegs, poke holes all over the picture, thread the cord through the holes, try to keep the ends of the cords in place in the back, and put the cover back on. Then you can make the lights flash and hear some noises. A few minutes of fun, perhaps, then it gets old. If you want to do something different, you have to start the whole process all over again, and the pegs are very difficult to remove. My 10-year-old was willing to do all the work, though. Still, she said she definitely does not want one for herself. I would say this toy has some educational value in that it helps you understand how the workings of an electric light, and comprehend the work that needs to be put into it. It is also good for practicing manual dexterity.

My complaints about the product:

-The pegs that hold the papers and the neon cords in place are very small, therefore easy to drop and hard to hold.
-The pegs are also very hard to remove when you want to change the design.
-The product requires 4 C batteries to operate (not included). This seems like a lot to me. I noticed there is a hole for DC power, but no cord included. Why not include this with the product?
-The paper designs are kind of flimsy. What are you supposed to do if they tear?
-It would be better if it came with some kind of storage bag for the papers and the pegs. The box the pegs come in is hard to keep closed (which means pegs easily falling on the floor)

Overall, it's a neat concept, but a lot of work (and batteries) for a small payoff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Also fun for older children, October 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Meon Animation Studio is so much more than I expected. My son is ten years-old, much older than the typical Cars crowd. I think it can be easily marketed to older children. In fact, I'm not sure preschoolers would be able to create images on this thing without help. My son, on the other hand, went creative on me and made signs with his name that did not need the guidance of the picture sheets.

There are twelve picture sheets included and more can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. The children are also encouraged to use their own artwork and designs. They thread wire (only six wires can be used at a time) in and out of holes in a board which light up and create a neon effect.

What impressed me most were the number of different modes available. I thought at first it was just a sign. The options are as follows:

* PICTURE 1: Animation and sounds designed for picture one (the sounds of racing cars only happen when the button is pressed and then the lights are on and flashing continuously).

* PICTURE 2: Animation and sounds designed for use with picture 2 (the sounds of Mater starting and clunking and then lights are on and flashing continuously).

* STILL MODE: All Meon wires light up without animated flashing.

* MEMORY GAME: For use with the Memory Game picture sheet (similar to Simon).

* ROOM ALARM: For use with the Room Alarm picture sheet (alarm goes off when it detects sound -- alarm sounds and lights flash).

* FORTUNE GAME: For use with the Fortune Game picture sheet (like a Magic 8 Ball).

* MUSIC VISUALIZER: For use with all picture sheets (wires flash to beat of music nearby).

* FLASH MODE 1/2/3: For use with all picture sheets.

What's important to remember is although the modes are designed for certain picture sheets, the children aren't restricted to that and can certainly design their own sheets around the sounds. Also, some settings can be used with any picture sheet.

This toy would is great for children up to about fifth grade, but I'd shy away from it as a gift for the older crowd because of the Cars theme. There is one with a Star Wars theme that could be good for a larger range of ages. Younger children may need some help, but I'm sure they would get a kick out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Engaging Toy, Easy to Use, Neat Features, September 22, 2011
Carol Roberts (Montgomery, AL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 11-year-old daughter couldn't wait to rip into this box when the item arrived. She insisted on putting the toy together and reading the directions on her own without our help. In the end she managed to figure out how to create a picture within about an hour. Then the fun began! The toy comes with several "modes" so once you create a picture you have more to do than just admire it while the lights flash. You can set it up to do a kind of "fortune teller" mode where one of the screens you create gives answers to your questions. But the most fun we had was trying the "room alarm" mode. My daughter set the board to room alarm on one side of the room and we sat on the other side. When it said the alarm was armed, all we had to do was wave an arm or move a foot and the alarm went off! She thought that was very cool and can't wait to set the board up for room protection.

The kit came with several different pictures (the fortune teller screen being one) and each creation can be done within an hour. My daughter gets bored easily with most toys, but this one really kept her engaged while she was working on it. It's one part arts and crafts, one part flashing lights and sirens. We can highly recommend this to older elementary school kids and pre-teens. For younger kids, a parent's help will probably be needed to create the pictures.

On a side note, the first shipment we received of this toy was missing everything but the frame (no pictures, wires, pegs, instructions, etc...) We placed a call to the 1-888 customer service number on the box. We received a return call within 12 hours and the company shipped us the missing pieces, and even called to follow up on the order to make sure the replacement parts made it to us. The customer service was excellent, and we highly recommend this toy! Our rating is 5 stars across the board for all aspects of this item, although we can't seem to get the star ratings above to edit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly cool, October 14, 2011
First, the negatives:
- It requires 4 C batteries, but doesn't come with them. C batteries aren't exactly a commonly used size, so we had to go out and buy them.
- I'm not sure a five year-old could actually use this toy as the pegs are quite small.
- It would be great if it came with some practice templates for the times when you want to make your own, like we did for my son's birthday.

Otherwise, this is a fun toy, and is far cooler than I expected. My son loves it and has fun playing with the room alarm feature. It's also more solid than I expected and has proven to be rather durable thus far. For a concept that is at least 20 years old (think Lite Brite) this is an enjoyable toy with potential for months of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio (Toy)
This toy was the perfect gift for my son and daughter! It was great for their hand eye coordination not to mention the cool features and interactive playing. The disney themed meons were right up my kids alley. Every night they go to bed it is the coolest night light in their rooms they have ever had. I highly recommend this toy for both boys and girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Camping Toy/Project, October 4, 2013
This review is from: Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio (Toy)
Love it! Very easy to use, looks cool, and fun watching my husband & son play with the sound activated feature! Perfect for camping when the sun has gone down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool but not creative, April 5, 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're remembering Lite Brite of yesteryear, then keep looking.

While this is cool visually speaking, there is next to no room for creative interaction for your kiddo. Maybe to be used as an interested night light, but not as a creative outlet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio (Toy)
Purchased this as gift for my grandchild. Left it up to his parents to figure it out and teach him. A little complicated for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for one second.....seriously, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Meon Cars 2 - Interactive Animation Studio (Toy)
We spent the time to set up this toy....it takes time believe me. We plugged it into the wall with the supplied adapter. The neon blinked on and then immediately shut off. Tried to call customer support. Was advised all agents are busy and was directed to a voicemail box.

I have sent them an email. We will see what they do for me.

I currently would not recommend the toy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›