Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mephisto Men's Match Walking Shoes,White Calf,14.5 M US
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 14.5 D(M) US|Color: White Calf|Change
Price:$307.90 - $360.00

on August 29, 2010
As someone who stands or walks much of the day, these are lifesavers. They are more comfortable than even running shoes and, while they are not stylish, they are appropriate for any office. This is my 2nd pair of this same shoe. I have had my brown pair refurbished twice and will finally have to replace them, so the price spreads out over a period of years. The multiple eyelets can accommodate thicker socks if necessary also. Lastly, these are my favorite shoes for travel.
on December 2, 2011
I ordered these shoes with more than a little bit of pocketbook apprehension, wondering why they could be so much better than my Postal New Balances (like five times better?) So I closed my eyes and pushed the button, hoping that my judgment was good. Here is what happened.

First, the shoes arrived from Shoemania in about 24 hours. I didn't expect that, though I was obviously pleased.

Second, the fit was good, though obviously a little stiff. My foot is a little narrower than average (around a B) so medium widths don't always do it for me. Here, with medium cushion socks the shoe cinched down fine with very little pucker or inside fold. In about a week of wearing them every other day they were feeling quite comfortable.

Then today, about two weeks after they arrived, I went to put them on and, snap, one shoelace broke. Aaargh! I was able to use the longer end to lace it up so I could make a special trip to the variety store for a new set of laces ($2.00). I replaced both of the shoes' laces and found that the other original lace was also about to break. It was, needless to say, irritating to pay some $300 for a shoe with such crappy laces. They seemed to be made of a soft cotton, which I would guess would be inappropriate for shoes which have metal loops for most of the laces and thus abrade more readily.

I guess the answer is, if you buy these shoes for their comfort and durability, do spend a couple of bucks more and get yourself some strong, synthetic-reinforced, laces (30 inch length did it for me) so they will be ready in waiting when (not if) the original lace(s) break.
review image
on August 18, 2010
As I aged, my feet lost their natural padding. I had tried orthopedic shoes, insert and you name it. Then I discovered the Mephisto Match. They may appear to be expensive, but their quality, fit and comfort are worth every penny.
on December 24, 2015
My husband has terrible feet and these shoes are more comfortable than most and are stylish as well. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for as the materials are high quality and based on previous experiences with Mephisto should be quite durable.
on June 3, 2015
The Mephisto Match is my favorite shoe -- I've been wearing them since the 1990's, and there is no other casual shoe that I'd ever wear. No shoe is more comfortable to me, or provides better support, and even though they're expensive, they last for many years -- in fact, I've still got an old pair from the 90's that I've sent in to be resoled and refurbished, and they're almost as good as new. Highly recommended.
on March 12, 2014
As has often been my experience when purchasing shoes, the size that fits is unpredictable. Such was the case with this shoe. It was my first time purchasing this shoe. I've wanted a pair for quite some time and I was pleasantly surprised to see it discounted over 40% a little while ago and decided that it was now or never. I ordered size 10. It was immediately apparent that my size in this model was actually a half-size lower, so I immediately requested an exchange. Amazon makes this easy and, even though the price had gone up substantially, I wasn't charged the difference. I received size 9 1/2 a couple of days ago and immediately started wearing them. The fit is perfect and the experience I've had thus far exceeds my expectations. They are comfortable yet afford me with exceptional support. I've read other reviews that describe this shoe as being on the heavy side. Possibly, however I will say that, in my opinion, any shoe that affords the degree of comfort and support this one does will have what I would term a "substantial presence." I do not find it to be excessively heavy and my feet do not fatigue with extended wear. Although I've only had it for a couple of days, I can already envision this shoe to be a favorite. I almost wish I'd purchased 2 pair at the price I paid. I'd recommend this shoe to anyone wishing an upscale look that offers great support and comfort. I watched the price fluctuate in my shopping cart under "Saved for Later" for several months before I finally went for it. I've only seen it offered lower once (27 cents), so I bought as close to the bottom as possible in my opinion. Possibly you can do as well if you're patient.
on August 3, 2015
These shoes are very well made and VERY comfortable. The multi color was an attractive option but my purchase was made because of the comfort they provide. No break-in required. I have other Mephisto shoes and am completely happy with all of them.

Mephisto's are more costly but worth it. I also learned I can send them in for re-soling when required and when they are returned they are basically as new. The cost is roughly 50% of the cost of new. Trouble is the shoes never seem to wear out.

Phil
on August 16, 2013
As I would expect with shoes at this price point, the quality of construction and of materials appears to be excellent. Since it is early days yet I cannot give a long-term perspective on comfort or durability. Initially, the fit is correct and accommodates my need for a roomy toe area. The shoes are a bit stiff, because new; I only have 3 or 4 days' wear on them.

I should point out that I am comparing the comfort level of these shoes to that of my long-time favorite ECCO Sea Walker shoes. In order to become my new favorites, the Mephisto shoes are going to have to be twice as comfortable or wear twice as well as the ECCO's, since they cost twice as much. That's a tall order, since in my experience the ECCO's represent a high standard.

One difference I have noticed already is that the Mephisto's , though stiffer, are more softly cushioned than the ECCO's. On the other hand, the ECCO's are somewhat lighter on the feet and perhaps not as structurally supportive.

UPDATE: After several weeks of break-in, the Mephisto's do not offer any particular advantage over the ECCO's in comfort. If anything, they are slightly less comfortable. As with many other things, comfort is a largely subjective matter. Long-term durability will be a more solid basis for judgement, and that's going to take awhile.
on June 23, 2015
My first pair of Match shoes were made in France. They were comfortable and made with very high quality leather and rubber (5 stars). The pair I now have were made in Portugal and I rate them 3 stars below the originals. In my book, the quality of all the Mephisto shoes has declined over the last 10-15 years. The Match are Mephisto's flagship and these are/were anything but stylish. For years, I put up with the Frankenstein, heavy--clunky look because of M's former attention to detail and high quality materials. But those days are gone. I would stay way from this style, unless you can find a pair --mostly used ones-- made in France. In short, Mephisto is riding on its own coat tails....be careful not to trip! The Match are, at best, of mediocre quality and very overpriced

I have had mixed results with other styles. The Cap Vert are made in Turkey and are very stiff and of inferior leather. They are very comfortable, look great (a classic style) but they feels cheap. I should have returned them to the seller upon their arrival. On the other hand, I have two pairs of Edelfs, also made in Turkey. They are super comfortable and the style is great. These I would recommend to any one.

Warning about sizes: if you are familiar with the idiosyncrasies of Mephisto shoe sizes, you should know that they run big and that you should order one size smaller. But this is not always true! For example, I wear 8.5 shoes, but I am a 7.5 in the Match, Edelf and Cap Vert. However, I take 8.5 in the Algoras and Henris, both also made in Portugal. Both of these styles are comfortable, true to size, stylish, and in my opinion, worth the money.

For me, holy grail in Mephisto shoes are the ones made in France. Good luck finding these! If you find a reliable source for new Mephistos made in France, please let me know.
on March 25, 2012
I began wearing Mephisto Match shoes about 15 years ago. They are my favorite walking shoes, I liked them so much that over the years I bought two more pairs (all new) in different colors. I threw away the first pair because I wasn't sure Mephisto could really refurbish the old and dried out upper leather. Anyway, I am considering getting another pair of Match as soon as my 2nd pair shows sign of wearing out and the leather hardens up. A tip to old-timer Mephisto shoe wearers: Remove the old original shoe insert and replace it with Powerstep Pinnacle Max orthotic inserts. Your aged feet, especially those with arthritis, will appreciate it! I also keep on hand a supply of 36" flat boot laces in various colors (green, red, brown, black) to spiff up the boots appearance.