5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Knife Set
Published on June 10, 2008 by Branden Byers

2.0 out of 5 stars attractive But not good quality
This knife set is an impressive addition to my kitchen. I leave it out on my counter and people admire it when they come visit. I enjoy it very much and making salads is taking half the time these days!

Pros:
I like the variety of sizes,
I like the stand and that its clear nice glass.
I like the feel of the knife handles.

Cons:...
Published 2 months ago by Rachel Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Knife Set, June 10, 2008
Branden Byers (Madison, Wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mercer Cutlery Genesis 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set, Steel/Black (Kitchen)
I had the chance to try cutting with the Mercer's chef knife at a local kitchen store. Compared to the Wüstof and Henckels knives, these Mercer knives are heftier with a bulkier hand grip. At first I did not like the bulkiness of the grip however I did like the weight difference. I would have purchased the knives locally, but the shop was unable to order this knife block set.

Now that I have been using these knives quiet a bit over the past week, it was definitely worth the purchase. I don't even notice the bulkier hand grip now (and it is only bulky by comparison to Wüstof and Henckels). It is my understanding that these knives are commonly used by culinary students and I can understand why. This is a professional product for nearly half the price of other knives in this competition range. In order to keep the blades sharp, I also purchased the Mercer Genesis Collection 10-Inch Honing Steel.

One thing to be aware of with the glass knife block is that the knives are removed by pulling straight up. Of course this is obvious, but unlike other angled knife block sets, cabinet clearance may be an issue for some kitchens. I had not thought of this when originally ordering and at first was disappointed when I thought it would not be possible to store these knives on the counter under cabinetry. However, this is a very sturdy steel and glass knife block. I soon realized the block does not slide when tipped. So whenever I need to remove or return a knife to the block I simply lean it forward without trouble.

Regarding another reviewer's issue with the staining of the bread knife: I have cut bread numerous times so far and have had no issue with staining. I have also used it to cut tomatoes. As for the other knives, I have cut chicken, strawberries, peppers, carrots, garlic, etc. with no issue. I do hand wash the knives directly after use as recommended by the manufacturer.

Overall, I am very pleased with this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Knife Set, July 4, 2012
I buy A LOT on Amazon, and have never bothered to write a review. I just can't find the time with two small children. I was prompted however to write a review on this Mercer Knife set. I wanted to send my father a nice knife set for the holidays. I was hesitant to buy an item like this online because I could not physically check the quality. I read a number of reviews for different sets and decided on this as he has a rather small space to work with in the kitchen, and did not want a big hulking block full of unnecessary knifes he would barely use.

I took a chance and he called after it arrived to thank me and told me they were excellent quality, that he loved the space saving storage vessel. He also liked the fact he could easily see which knife he was needing to pull to use thanks to the translucent glass.

I was relieved he was very happy with his gift. It wasn't until I came to visit him this week that I remembered I gifted them. I went to make dinner and used the knifes. I absolutely love these knifes. I am so impressed I am picking a set up for myself. I paid around $150 for them for my Dad, and they are at $129 right now- and with Prime that is a steal. I am not a chef, but do enjoy my time in the kitchen. I have a couple of really nice preparation knifes but these will round out my set.

On a side note while here I was able to easily unscrew the vessel using my fingers to slide the glass out and clean it. It slides right back in and you just screw it back tight with the flat topped stainless screws atop each column. They are large enough for anyone with hand dexterity issues to grab hold of and unscrew.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stylish addition to the kitchen!, January 12, 2008
These knives are of very good weight and very sharp. Definately not a cheap feel! The glass block is awsome and looks great on the kitchen counter. It is easy to assemble, and easy to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality at a good price, October 19, 2010
Alex Malinovich (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
If you've never indulged in a good cutlery set before, prepare yourself. The difference that having a good knife can make is really amazing. That's not to say that these are the best knives that money can buy. Far from it, in fact. But they most definitely are the best knives you can buy for $160.

The set includes 5 knives: a general utility knife, a paring knife, a boning knife, a bread knife, and a classic chef's knife. they're all very sturdy and well balanced. The handle is a very comfortable rubberized material that wraps around the entire handle. I usually prefer a classic handle on my knives: wood, triple-riveted, full-tang. These handles are rubber, with no rivets (though a nice little emblem on one side of the handle towards the back), and no real way to tell if they're full tang or not since you can't see how far back the metal goes.

However, they most definitely do feel sturdy and balanced, which is what really matters in the end. All of the knives have a very nice weight to them, and the glass 'block' is gorgeous to look at.

As other reviewers have mentioned, you do have to take into consideration that the knives come out straight up, so putting this under a cabinet will not work. You'll either need plenty of room above it to pull out the blades, or just not use the display stand and opt for either a classic wooden block, or a magnetic strip to hold the blades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful knives for your kitchen., December 17, 2012
I needed to replace an old set of mis-matched knives that have been living in my kitchen for nearly 8 years. Apart from a good Henckels Santoku and a Global carving set, I didn't have any good knives. And as nice as the Henckels knife is, it is just not practical to use for every occasion. so I began searching and it seemed my choices were either to drop $400 on a 3-4 separate knives to build a kit, or go with a 25 piece Ginsu set for $49.99 ("Call now and we'll throw in 18 more knives!"). Neither option was very attractive to me. While I like to cook, I recognize that I don't really "need" the best of the best to cook my family dinner, and I knew if I went the cheap route, I'd be cursing myself in about two months once the edges lost their luster, or the blades bent while slicing an apple.

What I wanted was 4 or 5 knives that were well made, durable and could hold an edge. So after some comparison shopping, I came across the Mercer Genesis set. I had never heard of Mercer before (always sniffing my nose at anything not from the big 5 or 6 German/Japanese brands). I saw that this was their middle-of-the-road line. A line that makes appearances at cooking schools as the students' day-to-day tools. What's more, the price was right and the attractive glass "block" would be a huge upgrade from the chipped and tired looking wooden block I've been using (and god knows what kind of bacteria were growing in it). So, I ordered and thanks to Prime, they arrived 2 days later.

After about a month of use: Wow! These knives are sharp! And are appropriately heavy with a full tang. They are very well balanced, and I love how this set has a knife for every purpose. From slicing tomatoes, to chopping chicken, to peeling an apple, they do it all. The only down side is that I cut myself a couple of times because my hands were still used to the dull, uneven cutting of my prior knives. What's more, because they are so nice, and the glass block so appealing, I'm more inclined to wash and dry them immediately after use, to avoid any staining or condensation in the glass block. I am very, very happy and will recommend to anyone who will listen.

They fall short of 5 stars only because I would reserve that rating for a truly exceptional knife. While these are very, very good -- they don't match up to some of the really top-of-the-line knives I've tried. Still, it's no insult. One of my best purchases and a happy discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, August 24, 2011
I was looking for a good knife set and I found it. I did a lost of research and just kept coming back too these. They are well balanced knifes. They are not light like some more expensive items but for the price they are great. The stand is very nice for anyone that has a stainless kitchen... matches very well. Just one bone too pick with other reviews saying the knife holder gets dirty and is hard to clean... You should not put dirty knifes into a block or holder not healthy by any means... if by chance you get it dirty... very ez to clean... unscrew the taps and it comes apart easily. Very happy with the purchase. I would say these knifes are the low end of the high end knifes... yes these are high end!!!!! 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Them!, September 15, 2010
As others have said in their ratings, these knives look and work great! The glass block takes little space on the counter and has a side benefit of "upgrading" my kitchen to look more modern. Each and every knife works great- they are sharp and feel good when using them. I particularly like the bread knife. I loved my previous bread knife so much that I went through 7 stages of grief when I even THOUGHT of having to use another one. Well- the knife in this set certainly help me get over THAT!

Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wifes Knifes, January 20, 2009
Purchased for my wife and she couldn't be happier. We had been using hand-me-down blades and they weren't cutting it. (pardon the pun}

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Shuns, but who cares?, April 30, 2010
These knives offer one of the best quality to price ratios. They have a great heft (I like heavy), are sharp, strong, and have a grip that is easy to handle. The glass block is a bit tough to keep smudge-free, but it is attractive. The only fault with it is that you can't store them under a cabinet and still remove the knives.

However, the knives themselves are an excellent value for the home chef who doesn't want to spend $600 on good knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Set!, July 2, 2007
These knives are beautiful! They are very well made, and very sharp. But, best of all is the presentation. I didn't want the same old wooden block on the counter, and this is amazing. It takes up very little space, and looks very good sitting on the counter (unlike the block)! I "registered" these knives on-line and even received a FREE pair of kitchen shears! How can you beat THAT deal??

Rate and Discover Movies