Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Style Name: 7-Inch Forged Santoku Knife|Change

on January 25, 2014
I have spent way, way more on other knives. I am not a professional chef but I do cook and use one or two knives at least every day. I have large hands. I believe the size and strength of the hand relative to the handle and blade weight mostly determines how a knife will balance in the hand and how much edge control and confidence it can be used with. Lower risks of cutting oneself go with proper fit and experience.

I have a few individual Wuesthof-Trident knives some of which cost over $200 per knife. My favorite other knife is a Wuesthof bread knife from the mid 1980s that is 11" long and I can't find anywhere else.

One day while poking around a kitchen supply store, I got sold on trying one of these Mercer 8" Chef's knives and a couple of paring knives. The kitchen supply salesman gushed about how they were the best knives for commercial and retail kitchens where you have higher end employees, they will be very happy, etc. Despite not wanting to be sold on a new knife, I was a sucker and paid the $35 for the knife.

From that point on, 6 years ago, I haven't gone back. This 8" Mercer "genesis" is perfect for my large hands. It hones really well to take a new edge and keeps the edge through a meal prep. They are super affordable, the total weight is appropriate, the balance is good. Solid place to put a thumb and control the knife well.

I really like this "genesis" rubberized handle, super good grip. Doesn't look cheap, doesn't feel cheap.

Best knife I've ever had and I've been using it daily for six years.

PS: My original of these did not come from Amazon. I have since purchased multiple Mercer Genensis products through amazon (through late 2013) and have had the same experience of quality. However, there's always the chance that a lower quality product will wind up being supplied. I've had that happen multiple times where a product is downgraded by a manufacturer after it gets a good name :\
on September 5, 2013
I am writing my second Mercer review, as I have found the knives to be a steal for their cost. This knife is great for the prep work I do in the kitchen. My brother in law is a chef and recently taught me the proper way to cut and prepare fruits and vegetables. Utilizing his techniques and this knife, I have increased my speed and the quality of the work I do. This knife cuts well, especially the tip. It has made the process of preparation much easier and smoother. I will continue to purchase these knives as I am really enjoying the way the cut and the feel in my hands. Very light and easy to handle.
on April 13, 2014
I've been looking for a santoku for some time and based on reviews and price, I decided to give this one a try. I really like it. It's extremely sharp and has held it's edge very well. It's got a great feel in the hand and weight. It gets the job done without being too heavy or causing hand fatigue. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.
on September 10, 2012
I got the Mercer Genesis paring knife based on my good experience with the 8" chef's knife in the same line that I already have.

I'm not disappointed- this paring knife lives up to the reputation that the chef's knife has, and in some ways, stands out from the pack even more. The non-slip grip is really useful on a paring knife, and so is the relatively large grip. Makes for quite a bit of controllability and comfort.

My next kitchen knife purchase will likely be Mercer Genesis.
on August 7, 2013
I am a proficient cook who also spends a lot of time cooking. I am particularly picking about my cutlery. I have been using a high-end brand for 20 years and in recent years have become disenchanted with the performance quality of their knives. Watching my husband saw through a roast in the kitchen was for me like hearing nails on a chalkboard. I decided to take the leap and try Mercer and my husband and I are not only pleased, but are frankly stunned by how this knife has delivered over and over again and at a far more affordable price than the "big" name brands. How could such a reasonably priced knife be so great? We don't really care how, we just know it is! We have tested it on everything from pork roast, to vegetables and even a tomato and mozzarella for caprese. It has consistently sliced through without any effort and clean as a whistle. We will not go back and moving forward we plan to purchase all of our cutlery exclusively from Mercer. We strongly recommend this knife and think it makes the perfect gift because it carries the perfect gift price range and is an exceptional performer.
on May 4, 2013
anyone who has been in a commercial kitchen or a culinary school knows about Mercer knives. They are a very good choice as a ballance of cost versus sharpenability, durability, edge retention, ballance, and ergonomics. Yes, there are better knives in the world, but at double, triple or quadruple the cost (and yes, I DO have some of those knives too). The genesis series is a little on the heavy side, but well ballanced and it has a VERY comfrtable grip and excellent steel.
on February 28, 2013
Very nice solid blade, comfortable weight with a nicely textured handle for grip. I bought this to replace a nice Henckel paring knife that had been broken by a collision between a pugnacious pumpkin and an exuberant child. I don't see such misfortune happening with this more solid knife! It feels and performs better than the Henckel we had.
on January 7, 2009
I hardly touch my chef's knife anymore. I cook every day and this knife is my favorite. I bought it several months ago and it is very easy to sharpen and keeps a razor edge. Nice balance, well constructed, as good as knives costing twice what I paid, $43.
on April 24, 2014
This is an excellent knife for a sous-chef. It comes perfectly sharp, able to handle any job. If you know how to keep the blade edge properly, this knife will last you for a VERY long time. PLEASE don't use a knife sharpener and expect it to keep your blade perfect. If you don't know how to use a steel, then don't try. You need to learn to use a steel so watch about 3 videos on youtube and practice with a knife you don't care about. Make sure you are really comfortable before you pick this knife up to straighten it. 99% of people should not attempt to "sharpen" which is different from straightening. It is best to leave sharpening to the pros PERIOD.

How To Use A Knife Sharpening Steel

Using a knife steel, also called a sharpening steel or honing steel, helps smooth out that roughness, leaving a nice, straight edge.

With your left hand (or your right hand if you're left-handed), hold the sharpening steel point-down, with its tip resting firmly on a dry cutting board -- as if it were a large nail you were about to hammer into the board.
With your other hand, hold the knife crossways against the steel with the back of the blade (the part nearest the handle) touching the steel. You're going to be pulling the knife backward, toward you, so you want to start with most of the blade in front of the steel.
Tilt the knife so that its cutting edge meets the shaft of the sharpening steel at a 22½-degree angle. Don't have a protractor handy? That's OK! Remember that 90 degrees is a right angle, and 45 degrees is half of that. So 22½ degrees is just half of that. You can pretty much eyeball it.
Now, maintaining this 22½-degree angle, gently pull the blade toward you while simultaneously gliding it downward along the shaft of the steel. You want to cover the entire length of the blade, keeping the blade at that 22½-degree angle the whole time. Do this step 10 times.
Switch to the other side of the blade, give it ten more strokes on the steel and you're done!

Tips:

Make sure your sharpening steel is at least as long as the blade you are honing. For instance, if you are using a 10-inch chef's knife, your knife steel should be no shorter than 10 inches as well.
After using the sharpening steel, rinse and carefully wipe the blade dry with a towel so that any tiny metal filings on the knife's edge don't end up in the food you're about to work with.
Keep your knife steel handy while you're working in the kitchen. Just a few minutes of ordinary slicing on a wooden or plastic cutting board can knock your knife's delicate edge out of alignment. Once you're accustomed to the feel of a sharp knife, you'll feel the difference right away. When you do, just a few quick strokes on the steel will straighten it right out again.
culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinarytools/ht/honing.htm
on September 12, 2011
You can't beat this for the price. I got it to replace my Mercer 9" Chef, which is a very serious blade, just not my cup of tea. I really prefer the Santoku knife, and love my Mercer Genesis knife kit which this matches. As a culinary student, I can say with certainty that I would not have passed my knife skills practical exam without this baby. Its my go-to axe until further notice, or until I can afford a Global or a Shun.
An update to this is that after 8 weeks of light to moderate use in culinary college, the blade is pitted badly, from some unknown metal to metal contact. This shouldn't happen to a brand new knife which has not been abused, and has always been washed by itself. I will attempt to return to Mercer and see what happens.