Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mercer Culinary Genesis 10-Inch Knife Sharpening Steel
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on February 7, 2013
I don't know why it is called a sharpening steel when it does not sharpen. It is a honing steel for straightening an already sharp edge. As far as honing goes, it works very well. I use this right after I use my blades and because of this, I rarely have to sharpen my blades.

I have two problems with this honing steel: 1) When I first got it, there was a burr on the steel. Fortunately, my blade did not strike this burr too hard and it was fairly easy to get the burr off the steel. However, I am disappointed with the quality control. 2) The handle is an ovoid shape which forces me to hold the steel a certain way and therefore hone my blades on specific sides of the honing steel comfortably. This will lead me to use one area of the honing steel more than the other areas, causing unequal wear on the honing steel.

Other than those two gripes, this is a good honing steel and I am glad I purchased it.
on March 28, 2015
Very happy. Purchased a razor sharp Mercer Genesis Cleaver recently and I needed a honing rod to maintain my edge. The rod was delivered this morning at 7:20 AM. I have to say I love Amazon. I am making a Moroccan Tagine today and was concerned I wouldn't get the rod in time, but no, it's already here. After watching Instructional videos on YouTube I felt I was ready to try it on my less expensive knives. After about three minutes you become attuned to the angle and you can feel it when you do it correctly; the blade sings. When you do it wrong, like I did when I became overconfident thinking I could do it fast, it makes a weird crunch; it allows you to correct the angle and proceed. The ultimate result, my knives are razor sharp. Even a knife I bought in a pinch at a 99 cent store! Truly remarkable. I would definitely purchase this product, and once again I am very happy with the quality of Mercer products.
on February 22, 2016
If you have good knives this is a must have to keep them sharp. Easy to use. I was surprised how well this hone / sharpener works. I have never been good at sharpening knives on a stone. It even sharpened my $40 pocket knife where it will shave. Well worth the money. A few strokes and my Mercer knives are razor sharp.
on May 13, 2015
Bought this with a 5 piece cutlery set from Mercer also.

It's a good steal. Solid design, long and sturdy. Also matches the 5 piece set well with the rubber handles.

I've had my knives for almost 2 years now, with regular use they still have a razor edge because I run them along this steel after every use.

Definitely a great buy for me!!
on August 22, 2015
Cannot believe how well this sharpening tool works. I do a lot of cooking and it works great on all of my premium knives. I am a hairdresser so I know about sharp tools and how much better they perform. I wish I could use this on my work shears!!
on August 26, 2011
This item is very well built. High quality! Very nice rubber handle that won't slip in your hand one bit. A little heavy in the hand but not over bearing at all! Sharpens very well! 5 Stars!
on February 16, 2016
a bit expensive, but high quality, definitely worth it.
I had bought a cheaper one before and the steel on that one was so weak that my knife would cut through it and get stuck (almost as if it was an aluminum rod instead of steel!), so i threw it away instantly cause that could seriously damage my knife.
on January 2, 2015
I threw my original Mercer Genesis sharpening steel away... It was an accident. Bought a few cheap off brands. Had to get this one again. I have the knifes which are great...
on January 28, 2014
I added this piece to a set I received as a gift. A few even strokes before each use and my knife blades are perfectly aligned. Like the other Mercer Genesis pieces I own, it is beautifully crafted.
on November 13, 2014
Mercer quality which is excellent as are their knives. I also bought the Mercer Culinary Renaissance 6-Piece Knife Set

See 1 answered question