4,318 Reviews
 (2,690)

4.0 out of 5 stars Your Safest Bet For A Product You Wish You Didn't Need.
Published on August 18, 2012 by Peter Suslock

2,439 of 2,548 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware! Counterfeit / Fraudulent Products
Published on October 15, 2012 by K7014

2,439 of 2,548 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware! Counterfeit / Fraudulent Products, October 15, 2012
This review may be quite lengthy, but as an Amazon consumer, I recommend that you thoroughly read and understand this review, as I guarantee it to be worth your time and the health and safety of your pet. Frontline Plus for Dogs when packaged and sold properly (by most Veterinarians and most reputable companies) works as it is described to work. For those instances, I would give the product a 5 star rating. But being that this is a consumer review of Frontline Plus for Dogs for the marketplace of Amazon, I would like to bring a particular experience that I became a victim of, to the attention of the consumer.

Merial produces the product named Frontline Plus for Dogs (of various weights) for US consumers and for the consumers in International markets. Products produced for US distribution are EPA approved. Products for International markets, are not EPA approved. EPA, in this instance, stands for Environmental Protection Agency. This agency sets and enforces rules and standards that protect the environment and control pollution. If a manufacturer produces and distributes EPA and non EPA approved products, it seems like a safer option to administer the EPA approved product.

Here goes the story of how I fell victim to a fraudulent sale of Frontline Plus for Dogs through a Seller / Store utilizing Amazon:

Upon receipt of a Merial Frontline Plus for Dogs product from a Seller / Store on Amazon, the packaging appeared identical to those sold by my previous Veterinary purchase as well as a previous purchase of this product from Amazon directly. While the outside appeared legit, the inside contents had me on alert instantaneously. Here are a few of the red flags that came to mind: 1) The inside contents did not contain the stickers for the consumer to mark their calendar on usage dates. 2) The back of the sealed vials stated the product as Frontline Combo and not as Frontline Plus for Dogs. 3) The back of the sealed vials displayed three rows of orange that read as follows: "AD US. VET - USAGE VETERINAIRE - FOR VETERINARY USE." 4) The plastic vials contained a pull like backing as opposed to the difficult plastic tab opening that most consumers avoid and end up puncturing the seal to pull the vial from the individual packaging. 5) The sealed area of each vial shows individually, Fipronil 10% w/v, MethroPrene 9% w/v, and 0.67 ml. (I do not recall my previous vials ever showing these figures) 6) The lot number that can be found on the outside of the box contains a lot number that is different from the lot number listed on the back of each of the inside vials.

I made the decision to not use this product on my pet and contacted the US 800 number for Merial, the manufacturer. After explaining the item that arrived to the representative, I was provided some interesting information that confirmed that my intuition of the product I received was correct and that this product was non-other than a fraudulent product that needed to be returned to the Seller / Store that sold this item to me through the use of Amazon. I gathered the following information from the representative at Merial: 1) The box is a US EPA approved Frontline Plus for Dogs. 2) The contents are not EPA approved as it contained vials for a different country. 3) The lot numbers on the box and vials are not consistent, when they should be. This product that I fell victim to was a foreign label product and when questioning the representative as to what she would do if she had this item on hand, she said that she would not use the item and request a refund because foreign label products are not EPA approved.

So, as the title of my review states, "Buyer Beware", please beware and pay close attention to the product that you are receiving. If key points that I have listed in my review clearly identify your item that you received as a foreign label product, please contact the Seller / Store and request to process the return of the item immediately. Pets are like family, the last thing that I believe you should administer to your pet is a non EPA approved product.

Additionally, if a consumer is sold a counterfeit / fraudulent item through Amazon's Marketplace, the consumer should report it to Amazon. These fraudulent Sellers / Stores don't belong on Amazon and the only way that we can initiate an investigation and seek their removal is to report each counterfeit situation to the attention of Amazon directly and warn potential consumers of these fraudulent Sellers / Stores.

I had some issues initially handling my return with the Seller. I refused to pay to ship the counterfeit / fraudulent items (that shouldn't have been sold to me in the first place) back and I insisted that the Seller either pay for the postage and tracking of the products or refund it to me with the refund of my original purchase (Including my original shipping costs). The Seller after multiple email communications emailed me a prepaid USPS mailing label with tracking.

I was hesitant on naming the fraudulent Amazon Marketplace Seller / Store until my entire return was processed and refunded. Now that my refund was successful, the fraudulent Frontline Plus that was sold to me was sold through the Amazon Marketplace Seller / Store of Discount Flea. The return address company name was Doc's Discount Flea Control located in Las Vegas, NV. The front of their sold product contains a sticker that refers you to re-order from unitedpetmeds2010.com with a 10% discount off of an order of $100 or more. I do not recommend purchasing these products from any of these companies. I would also be wary of any other company that you receive items that look as I described and suggest requesting an immediate return and issuing a complaint to Amazon of the fraudulent Seller / Store that you encountered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your Safest Bet For A Product You Wish You Didn't Need., August 18, 2012
Allow me to caveat this review by saying out of 500 plus reviews this is the most difficult to write as I despise having to use pesticides on our dogs. That said, we live in Tick and Flea central, surrounded by deep woods and our bull dogs are in every sense of the word family. That said if you're reading these reviews your dog or dogs are your heart and using these products is a difficult choice to make, but for most of us it's one we have to make.

On that note, it's nice to be among my own kind of folks and it's my hope the following information has some value for you.

Frontline was first put into clinical trials in 1985 shortly after the discovery of it's active ingredient Fipronil. It has maintained the safest albeit not the most effective treatment for fleas and ticks. However, the more effective products pose a significantly greater risk to your dog.

It's a slippery slope, but in evaluating what's best for your dog and offers the most protection at the least risk Frontline and FrontLine Plus are hands down, without question your best bet.

Most tick and flea products contain Premethrin (or related compounds) as the active ingredient. Premethrin is a lethal neurotoxin that flows through the dogs circulatory system and flushes into every major organ - including the brain where it can do dire damage. Although thousands of dogs die every year from Premethrin and the FDA has mandated a minimal use of it not to exceed 750PPM companies continue to use it because it's cheap and effective.

What makes Premethrin so dangerous is that it can't distinguish between insects and mammals including human beings. It's been known to be lethal to cats since the 1970's. Even a slight transfer from dog to cat can result in seizures, brain damage and death.

Premethrin is volatile as well - meaning it's airborne properties pose a continued threat to all who breath it in - dogs and humans included.

Frontline on the other hand uses Fipronil. Fipronil is an insecticide. Like any compound of this nature it can be lethal at too high of a dose. However studies including those from the Department of Environmental Conservation have determined time and time again that as long as the amount of Fipronil is at the correct dose for the weight and size of your dog toxicity is far easier to avoid and the product much safer for your dog.

Unlike Premethrin, Fipronil is absorbed into the hair follicles and oil glands only.

It is not absorbed into the dogs system nor is it volatile so you and your beloved pets and children can breath easy. The second active ingredient in FrontLine Plus is Methoprene which is a long existing and time proven IGR (insect growth regulator) it's distributed exactly like Fipronil but only acts on flea and tick eggs and Larvae - this is important because it kills these vermin at the start of a new life cycle. What is more, the diseases that ticks carry now are infinitely more serious than the dreaded Lime disease - which for decades was the only concern.

Competitors to Frontline (and some Vets selling other products) claim that fleas and ticks have become resistant to Frontline - hog wash. These pests have become resistant to most all pesticides and no independent research exists to confirm this claim. I can assure you I've researched this in the greatest depth.

The bottom line is this - all of these products pose a risk.

The wise choice is to minimize that risk in your effort to protect your pet from the diseases these vermin carry. Again, these diseases can be infinitely more lethal than the ingredients of the protection. To that end your safest and most effective choice is Frontline or Frontline Plus.

In the event your pet has a bad reaction to Frontline products these are the symptoms you would see:

* Restlessness

* Itching

* Vomiting

* Difficulty Breathing

* Lethargy

Should these symptoms occur, of course take your pet to your Veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately. It should be a comfort to know that unlike the toxic ingredients in most other flea and tick control products severe reactions to both Fipronil and Methoprene are rare. What is more they can be neutralized quickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful!, October 26, 2012
madmont (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've used Frontline on my dogs for years with no problem and I still think it's a fine product. This one star review is based on my most recent experience. I ordered this product through Amazon and received an illegal product via a third party seller. I got Frontline Combo, which is not approved by the EPA for sale in the US, in a Frontline Plus box. The lot numbers on the box and product did not match either, so clearly someone had deliberately tampered with the product. I experienced the illegal sale of a pesticide, product tampering, and mail fraud all in one transaction. A representative at Merial, the manufacturer, told me that this problem is widespread on the Internet and advised me to buy Frontline products only from my vet. I just took a look at the seller reviews and there are a number of us who have had the same experience with this seller, so I don't think Amazon is paying attention. Please be careful about what you are putting on your beloved pets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flea and Tick Free, July 8, 2008
K. Hill (Windsor, NC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My dog is a Chow mix and very furry. Ticks are impossible to find under her two layered coat until it's too late. At first, I tried cheaper brands. They work on ticks but do nothing for fleas. Then my vet recommended Frontline. I later tried K9 Advantix since they claim to also kill mosquitos, but I didn't notice any difference with the little bloodsuckers. And the protection from K9 Advantix didn't seem to last as long so I switched back to Frontline.

Frontline works great for us. My dog is an outdoor dog and our county reportedly has more deer than people. And with deer come deer ticks. I've seen deer in my back yard and my dog's house is very near the woods for shade. And she likes to take the occasional jaunt through the woods. Still I rarely find a tick on her. And when I do, they're usually dead (or soon will be).

I wish I'd known Amazon was selling Frontline for a better price sooner. I've been purchasing only 3 months worth for about $50 from another site for the last 2 years. Very frustrating since before you know it, you're out. With 6 months worth I only have to remember 2 times a year instead of 4.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Product and Customer Service, April 16, 2014
Our beagle began scratching and we noticed a flea on his belly area. We treat our lawn for insects including flea and ticks and have never needed to use any flea type product and he is 7 years old. We visited the local Pet Supermarket and they recommended the Frontline product. We purchased it followed the directions and the dog continued to scratch and chew his tail and the back area of his legs. We went back to the store to inform them the product that claims to immediately kill fleas and larva within hours is not working after two weeks. The clerk told us to apply it again so we did. Another 2 to 3 weeks later no change and we actually saw a flea on the belly. Once again the store clerk said to apply the remaining amount o the dog. After another 3 to 4 weeks our poor beagle still was biting and chewing. We visited the store once again and explained to the clerk we have now applied a three month amount of Frontline within a 9 weeks period with no results. This clerk (a different from past visits) actually would not recommend Frontline because he has heard the same complaint numerous times. He told us expressed he personally uses Advantage II and recommends the Advantage II to customers. I purchased the Advantage II (The Advantage II product is less expensive) applied to our dog and no kidding within 48 hours our dog stopped scratching and biting and his fur is now growing back.

During this entire time we went to the Frontline website. We thought it was odd that the website contact us does not include email capability! We wrote Frontline a letter and did receive a call approximately two (2) weeks later. They informed us they have no relationship with stores that sell their product and their policy requires a customer to use their product for a three month period and continue using for the remainder of the pets life to be effective. We explained the commercials and directions claims this product kills flea and larva within hours! The Frontline manger stated we do not provide refunds and a customer must use their product every month. After talking to a number of friends, family, and co-workers we were amazed to find the majority of them experienced the exact poor performance using the Frontline product and all use Advantage II products. Just wanted to save anyone out there with a pet from having your dog or cat suffer due to a terrible product and even a worse customer service team.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only product I trust, but you can get it cheaper, October 16, 2013
Go to google and search for "frontline extra value kit" and you'll find this same product for as little as $15, in what they call a kit. The kit just means you measure out the dosage yourself each month, but it comes with everything you need to do so. That said, this is the only product I'd ever use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware Of The Fake, October 18, 2011
I bought Frontline Plus here and NOTHING happened to the fleas. Checking on the Internet I read about COUNTERFEIT Frontline and when I bought Frontline from Petco I could see the difference. Fake ones are in metric, ml, not oz and the packing differs from the original, etc. There's a PDF online from EPA explaining the differences. Just be aware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of "Fake" Frontline, November 16, 2011
Frontline Plus is a wonderful product but should ONLY be bought from your vet. The first 24 months I had my Shih Tzu, I bought Frontline from his vet. Thinking I could save time and a few dollars, I made the mistake of ordering two boxes from Amazon and was appalled when my dog got fleas after using the product for 3 months. When a flea dip, fogging my entire apartment (including the requisite washing, vacuuming and cleaning), failed to keep him flea free after using the fourth dose, I took him to his vet. I was then informed of the "fake" Frontline on the market. He needed an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory and another flea dip. Don't put your baby through what I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer a reliable product, November 12, 2012
When I first opened my pet grooming salon nearly 10 years ago, I would recommend Frontline over every other product. It was the most effective back then. These days; however, over the last year and a half, I have seen countless dogs and cats whose owners I know with certainty correctly use the product and have found their pets infested with fleas and live attached ticks. Pretty much since they released the Frontline Plus, I've seen a decline in its effectiveness and many customers in distress. And I'm hearing the same complaints from a couple of local veterinarians. I now steer my customers away from Frontline and continue to seek a safe and effective alternative. Let you know when I do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution: this seller is not clear that these are bulk doses, November 8, 2011
I purchased this product in the six-dose size and expected to receive six individually-packaged tubes of medication. Instead I received two jumbo-sized tubes, a dosing sheet, one single-use 1 ml syringe, and an empty vial. Apparently they are selling bulk doses, but they do not make this clear in the product description. So the expectation is that you dispense the bulk dose into the small vial, read the dosing sheet, measure the proper dose, and store the extra. And by the way, the single-use 1 ml syringe is not enough to administer a single dose for my 40 lb dog (at least according to the enclosed dosing sheet), so I had to administer it in two goes. Some people might be comfortable with this: I find it a huge hassle and with a lot of opportunities to spil the medication or provide too much or too little. Do yourself a favor and find someone who sells individual doses if you don't want to deal with all this.