Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

No no no! I swore I wasn't buying any more cookbooks, until I saw Meringue by Linda Jackson and Jennifer Evans-Gardner. I am a sucker for a meringue cookie. The beautiful crispy outside, soft tender inside, melt on my tongue Meringue. Meringues are very economical also. The most basic meringue of egg white, sugar, and a pinch of salt with make a bunch of cheap but wonderful cookies.

The meringue cookbook goes beyond basic cookies, but doesn't short cookies in any way. Brilliant ideas like lemon twists promise to be bright and refreshing, while coffee cocoa nib delights appeal to the foodie in meringue making. Moving past cookies we get into pavlovas. Brilliant and refreshing there are wonderful recipes for pavlovas including brown sugar plum, banana cream (featured in my video), cherries jubilee, and of course, the classic berry Pavlova.

What book on meringue would be complete without pie? in bars, tarts and pies the authors delight with classics like lemon meringue, and tantalizing tongue pleasers such as blood orange curd meringue tart with dark chocolate.

A note here, the recipes beyond the meringues, like the caramelized bananas, lemon, blood orange, and raspberry curds, are wonderful.

Next chapter is cakes, tortes, vacherins, and dacquoises. The meyer lemon hazelnut torte with blackberry sauce is next on my list.

A chapter on meringue frosting is next. While all the frosting recipes look great the salted caramel swiss meringue buttercream looks amazing! All the pictures in this book are beautiful and mouth watering.

We move on to heavenly creations, then celebrations, and finally little clouds.

The beginning of the book is full of valuable information on ingredients and technique, from separating the egg to whipping the whites and the different stages, with pictures to illustrate.

Not every recipe has a picture but the majority do, and the pictures are mouth watering. If this book doesn't inspire the reader to break some eggs and get whipping whites I don't know what will.

I decided to make the banana pavlova, requiring the making of the pavlova, the custard, and the bananas. Each step was clearly laid out, from the list of ingredients to the instructions. Following along I ended up with the most amazing meringue and toppings. My son just had one and declared it absolutely delicious!

Even if you are like me, with cookbooks everywhere, this is a book well worth owning. If you are a beginner in the world of meringues the authors will take you by the hand and explain everything you need to know to be successful. If you're more advanced, the eye popping and mouth watering recipes and combinations will add to your repertoire.

One trick not mentioned that my grandma taught me years ago is whenever you're working with egg whites, put a little white vinegar on a paper towel and wipe down everything, the bowl, the beaters, whatever will touch the egg whites. This ensures any fat residue will be completely gone.

Buy this book! You will not be sorry. I wish I could give it more than five stars.

So far I've made the banana Pavlova-delicious
the Cherries Jubilees Pavlova - see my picture under customer pictures, it was heavenly and beautiful
Nicciola baci- see picture, I must say that not only were these beautiful, easy, and delicious, but possibly one of the only sandwich cookie recipe I've ever made from any cookbook that the amount of filling was exactly right for the amount of cookies, impressive!
review image review image review image
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you bake sweets, you should own this book.

Just saying the word "Meringue" makes my mouth water. I've always loved meringue, but the recipes in this book have taken me by surprise. This cookbook has been an eye-opener for me.

Where have these recipes been all my life? They are right up my alley: Quick; simple; pantry ingredients; huge eye appeal, very impressive and oh so luscious. In other words, these recipes give a very big bang for your buck. Results are not too sweet and beautiful to behold.

The fact that I can make 100 cookies with two egg whites and a half cup of brown sugar continues to surprise and amaze me--even though I've made the recipe three times already.

In regards to the actual book and the content: I was not expecting a single-topic cookbook to be so encompassing, but it is very full and very fulfilling. The book is substantial in size and quality. The pictures are beautiful. I've had success with the recipes so far and I've not noticed any mistakes or discrepancies.

My only criticism--and I'm dealing with it--is that the instructions never say what size pastry tube/piping tip to use. You can get by without piping the meringue, as it won't affect the taste, but your results won't be impressive unless you do--and piping the meringue is a real time-saver. Some trouble-shooting tips would have been appropriate, also.

I highly recommend this cookbook. If you order it, make sure you have parchment paper and piping tips ready for the day the book arrives. You'll be anxious to create something right away. You won't get the best results with a small-size pastry tube /piping tip set. You'll need medium-to-large-size tips (a Wilton 854 (9-point star) or an Ateco 47ST (basket weave) would be the largest you would need). Also, if you don't have a stand mixer with a whisk attachment these recipes may overwhelm you--so consider that, too.
on August 28, 2012
I purchased 10 copies of this new cookbook after seeing an advance copy - one for myself and the rest to give as gifts - because it is so sumptuously photographed. I'm tempted to keep it on the coffee table instead of on the bookshelf with the other cookbooks! Its beauty aside, even a novice baker like me can figure out how to create something gorgeous and delicious because it is so clearly and wittily written. I made the classic Pavlova for a crowd of guests last week and it was greeted with awe. What I didn't admit was that it was incredibly easy to make (and fun too!) The texture and color of the meringue once it reached its ideal glossy peaks wowed me - I'd never prepared anything like it and it was surprisingly beautiful. I thought I'd be intimidated but found that many of the recipes use common ingredients and simple methods that are clearly described - a great confidence booster. The fact that most of these recipes are gluten free - not because they are adapted but because they naturally don't use flour or other glutens - is a huge plus, too, since my husband has a gluten allergy. I will get a lot of happy use from this book!
on August 29, 2012
Excellent Meringue Recipes and Innovative New Ones, too! Loved the recipes and all the additional notes for the best results. I now feel comfortable making meringue with consistently awesome results. Lost my Mema's Meringue Recipes. So Happy to have these, they remind me of hers. - Callie LeCompte
Even the inexperienced can use these recipes to wonderful effect. And though meringue is a little messy, and takes a rather long time in the oven, the preparation is very easy, especially with my trusty Kitchenaid stand mixer.

I've tried plain, almond and some chocolate dipped plains. Some went to a new year celebration where even someone who isn't typically a fan of meringue said, "but these are really good!", before grabbing another.

My only complaint is that I would have loved more pictures and more how to, including text and photos, on using the pastry bag tips to make traditional shapes. For this lack I deducted one star... but this is still a recommended book for tasty, different cookies.
on August 9, 2012
This cookbook is fabulous AND delicious! Beautifully photographed so I can re-create
the recipes - and written so that I'm not intimidated by the "mystique"
of Meringue....Makes it so simple with the step-by-steps and tips and
tricks to make it perfect - even the most basic cook can do this and
look like a pro! Let's hope the Jackson/Gardner collaboration continues
developing recipes - this has plenty (and who knew such a variety existed?)
and leaves you wanting even more!! It makes a great gift because it's
beautifully presented too! Anyone who bakes will love it.
on April 26, 2013
This is a good cookbook about Meringue...But for me it didn't have any new revelations. I have several books that were my mom's from the 50's. This book has more glossy pictures, which are nice and an almost too long narrative which taxes my time a little. The recipes are good and detailed and quality. But there were no surprises. So if you need a book on Meringue and I believe every kitchen should have one, this is the best on the modern day market...
on March 9, 2014
I love meringue. I never tried making anything with meringue other then lemon meringue pie before I got this.
While most of the recipes in this book are meringues filled with something of things covered with meringue, there are some really wonderful frosting recipes and some beautiful and tasty deserts.
on August 21, 2012
I've always loved eating meringue, but was intimidated by the process of making them. Linda Jackson and Jennifer Gardner have broken it down into easy to follow, clear steps. I especially appreciated the opening chapter on the very basics of meringues, including pictures illustrating the different levels of "peak," something that can be unclear for a novice.

I made the brown sugar crisps and they were WONDERFUl and easy. Next on the list is the lemon twist, then I think I will tackle something beyond the cookie.
on October 23, 2013
Very beautiful book, and information about proper use of Egg Whites as well. I've made the French Meringues, the Cocoa Meringues, and the Swiss Meringue ButterCream Frosting. Superb, Delicious, and not as difficult as you'd imagine. Love this book as it demystifies egg white and those recipes came along exactly as they described. Great Book.
review image