96% Merino Wool Non-binding Casual Socks (3 Pairs)
Price:$30.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 31, 2011
The socks feel great, fit not too tight or too loose. The material is good quality--soft, thick enough to be warm and comfortable without being bulky. I was wary of these because one reviewer suggested hand washing. I washed them in the machine in a small laundry bag, using cold water and cold water detergent. I dried the socks in the laundry bag on low heat. They looked and fit as good as new after the wash and dry. I ordered these a week ago so I cannot attest to the longevity, but the feel and ease of washing for the price is a good buy for wool socks.

UPDATE 10/28/12: After wearing these socks all last winter and into spring, along with numerous washings, they are still soft and haven't faded. These socks are so comfortable and easy to care for, they became my "go to socks" every day last winter. I finally stopped using the laundry bag for washing and drying, just threw them in the cold water wash with my other dark clothes. We don't have much very cold weather in Atlanta, but these wool socks do not make my feet too warm. I highly recommend them. I'm back for more for the upcoming winter.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 25, 2013
Specifically bought these socks because they are described as having higher wool content than alternatives, at 96% merino wool and 4% lycra spandex. At $30 for three pairs, they are double (or more) the price of many other socks made with wool, which would be consistent with higher wool content.

The title states: "96% Merino Wool Non-binding Casual Socks (3 Pairs)" as of 12/25/13, and has for at least the past month. The description also states:

"Content- 96% Merino Wool, 4% Nylon
MADE IN CANADA
Lycra® 3D prevents sagging at the ankles without restricting blood flow. Lycra® 3D adds exceptional comfort, superior fit, and increased durability.
Merino Wool is the finest quality of easy care wool for exceptional warmth and softness. Wool features inherent qualities such as wrinkle resistance, colorfastness, shape recovery (resiliency), and is very breathable.
Exclusive of elastic (Non Binding Leg)"

In fact, however, these socks are labeled as having 74% merino wool, 20% nylon, and 6% lycra spandex content.

Talk about false advertising. Amazon needs to stop listing products with utterly fabricated descriptions and crack down on such misleading practices both in its own offerings and those of other sellers listing on Amazon.

From now on, I'll stick to buying wool socks locally, where the labels match the contents. These socks are being returned. For the same price, I can get six pairs of a brand like Omni Wool, which also has 74% merino wool content.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2011
I couldn't be happier with these socks. I was a bit worried about a 96% wool sock, but they do not bother my feet at all. And they do keep my cold feet warmer than any other socks I've ever had.
on December 18, 2012
These socks are indeed warm but not very thick. They are perfect for cold weather though so if you are okay with thin, but warm socks, these are for you!
on January 15, 2012
I am back to order another set of 3 pairs of these wool socks. My husband LOVES them! They are very comfortable and fit well.
on April 20, 2012
These socks are the usual non itchy merino wool sort. They breathe and don't cause your feet to sweat, are warm in winter, and don't fall apart. This brand is from Canada which is a heck of a lot closer than other countries that make socks... I always try to buy local... they are thin but not too thin and because of that, I will probably wear them all year long, not just in winter.
on October 6, 2012
It's so hard to find real wool socks anymore - the only kind that really keep your feet warm! These are the perfect weight, not so thick that your shoes feel too tight, and not so thin that they wear through quickly. And a great price!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 14, 2012
The brand is J. B. Fields, which, oddly, is not mentioned in the product description. (You can see the name in the images.) The socks are made in Canada, which is a plus in my book. I patronize U.S. and Canadian sock-makers whenever I can.

I particularly like the non-binding quality of these socks. I hate socks that cut off my circulation.

They seem very warm, although the Vermont winter has not really hit yet. But I must confess I was expecting a chunkier sock. These socks won't fill up your oversized boots. They are a bit thin, not at all bulky. But this very quality makes them work as dress socks, as well as casual socks.

As far as comfort goes, they deliver. They feel very soft on the foot and don't bunch up. They machine-wash nicely.
on October 19, 2014
I received this order promptly and although I haven't worn them yet they seem nice. They feel soft and the color and thickness are as expected and are accurately represented on Amazon.

What is really strange though is that although it is a 3-pack Large, to fit men's size 8-12, and come pre-packed in a sealed bag, they are 3 different sizes.
And the sizes are off by a good margin too; more than you would expect from manufacturing tolerances.
It seems like it is a "sampler" pack with a Small, Medium and Large included.
See the attached photo's for proof. I actually waited 24 hours before making these pics to allow them to recover from any possible packing stretch and did not try them on or wash them first.
The picture is exactly how they were.

Also: the packaging mentions a "seamless toe for added comfort".
While I am not sure how you would manufacture a "seamless toe" I do know that toe-seams are one of the crucial area's of any sock: a thick seam in the toe area is extremely uncomfortable and will make a sock basically un-wearable.
While I have seen worse, it is a bit of a stretch to claim these are "seamless" like the second attached photo shows, .

So time will tell if there are even wearable at all.

Note: now that I look at the picture on Amazon it actually looks like 3 different sizes! But I am sure that was not intentional!
review image review image
on August 20, 2013
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and poor circulation thus, I cannot wear anything binding.
My feet are freezing about 90% of the time while the rest of my body is the correct temperature.
These socks have solved my problems. They keep my feet toasty warm but also allow my feet to breathe.
Additionally, the no binding doesn't cut off my circulation. They are also beautifully made.
Would be great if the company expanded the line and added colors. I'd order them immediately.

See 1 answered question