5.0 out of 5 stars Wool in the desert?
Published 16 months ago by Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Ladies beware: not unisex socks
I have no major complaints about these socks. They are great quality, super thick, very soft, and you really can't beat $25 for 4 pairs of wool socks.

Published 11 months ago by Kathryn

5.0 out of 5 stars Wool in the desert?, August 8, 2013
Jim (Phoenix, Az, USA) - See all my reviews
I read lots of reviews about how warm these socks are. I live in the low desert near Phoenix, AZ where summer temperatures range from a comfortable 100 degrees to a bit toasty 120 degrees. Pavement temperature can easily hit 140. I wear net topped shoes (New Balance 1540) to get maximum ventilation in an office casual environment. We usually get a couple frosts a year if it is a hard winter. So, warm is not what I was looking for.

Still, I hear lots of survivalists insist on having wool socks available during bad situations. I wanted some wool for a Get Home bag and my Bug Out bag. So, I tried these thick crew length socks for daily wear in the Sonoran Desert.

I am impressed wool allows nice ventilation. Maybe because of evaporative cooling, these socks are no warmer than the Thorlos socks I have been wearing. They are thick enough to feel cushioned. I also wear Under Armor Heat Gear shirts that are best air dried. Wash and air drying wool socks won't be a problem. Only surprise is the black socks are more light gray. The picture is accurate.

My wife feels empowered to throw out my clothes when she decides they are too old. My socks have been slowly disappearing. Looks like I will be converting my sock drawer to these wool socks.

People Socks replied within hours to my prepurchase questions. Shipping was fast. Thanks for a nice first purchase experience.

Second order -

I'm a value conscious buyer. Quality and durability are more important than lowest price. Cheap stuff usually costs lots more than quality stuff, especially when you have to throw out the cheap stuff you bought and buy the quality stuff anyway. But, it is nice to find quality durable wool socks that are inexpensive too. Worth my hard earned dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value VS the Big Guys, November 17, 2012
This review is from: 4 Pairs 71% Mens Merino Wool Hiking Socks Hunting Camping Trekking Made in USA (Sports)
I've been buying high end wool socks at close to $20 a pair for the last five years and after buying these socks my life has been changed! The same quality as the $20 per pair but for four pairs! Great deal, great quick shipment and who doesn't love to help a start up? My first four pairs (one order) was so great that I'm ordering a bunch more for the family for christmas (and myself!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great military boot sock, November 4, 2012
The price & the comfort = awesome.
I had several pairs shipped to me in Afghanistan, and I couldn't be happier.
Every Service Members knows how crappy the basic standard issue boot sock is... get these!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wool is way better than cotton, June 12, 2013
I wear US size 9.5 and these are a great fit. Thick and comfortable. Wool is way better than cotton especially for hiking or being on your feet all day. Just got back from Yosemite where I used these socks exclusively and had almost no blisters hiking the Yosemite Falls trail and Half Dome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great socks, November 18, 2012
Thick, warm, and comfy socks. Exactly what I needed for my first real winter in 11 years (California spoiled me).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!!, October 19, 2012
Great socks,very soft and comfortable. Love it!! will buy again..
70% wool!, Made in USA! can't beat the price. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for my Filson Grey socks, November 27, 2013
Great socks. I spent a couple of years looking for a replacement for my old Filson Grey socks. (Filson had a perfect product, and then they got cute, and improved them so much, they are unwearable.) These fit the bill in every way. They are U.S. made (Thank you!) and are super warm and comfortable. I ordered four pairs to give them a try, and after more than a year of tough love, they are still in great shape. I just ordered an additional 8 pairs to round out my sock drawer. Summer or Winter, these socks keep my feet warm and dry. If they came in over-the-calf, I would buy a dozen more pairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will buy more, June 17, 2013
Great price, less than the gold toe I replaced. Very thick and cushiony. I will wear nothing but merino wool socks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ladies beware: not unisex socks, January 14, 2014

However, I feel the description is a bit inaccurate in saying that these socks fit women's shoe size 7.5+. I wear a women's size 9.5/10, and felt confident that these would fit well, but they don't! There is about an inch or more of extra room left in the sock, and I can feel the material bunch up when I try to put boots on over the sock.

I am not returning the purchase, but I really feel like these socks are better fitted for a man's foot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Wool Socks! But Not the Best !, December 14, 2013
I ordered 4 different pairs of 5 star wool socks from Amazon including these socks, Carhartt Extreme Cold, Cabelas Arctic, and Darn Tough Vermont. I like these socks best for around the house and sleeping in, but for cold outdoor use, the Darn Tough Vermont socks are hands down the best of them all. These are all good socks but I'm sold on Darn Tough Wool Socks for super high quality Made in The Darn Tough USA!