4.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded Rating
A few months ago I went back to DE shaving after many years using cartridges and even an Braun electric. I bought a Merkur razor so decided to try it with Merkur blades as that kind of made sense to me.

Published on January 21, 2011 by Ricardo

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, effective, but you can do better
Published on July 27, 2008 by Brandon Leonardo

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, effective, but you can do better, July 27, 2008
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
The blades are inexpensive, work well and they do last for a few shaves. They were the first ones I tried, and I actually have a Merkur razor so I thought they'd work well together. However, after trying the Derby Extra's, I have to say that those are much better blades. As always your mileage may vary. I would recommend getting less than a 3 pack and just giving them a try if you really want to test them out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded Rating, January 21, 2011
Ricardo (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)

This is a heavily edited version of my previous review and I think that it more accurately reflects my thoughts on this product. My first shave with a Merkur blade (the one that was packaged with the razor) was a total disaster. Numerous nicks and as bad a case of razor burn as I've ever experienced in my 50 years of shaving. One shave and that blade went into the trash.

I pretty much blamed myself for the problem, thinking that I needed to get used to DE shaving again. Though there is some truth in that, I now know that the problem had more to do with the blade than with me. I had also ordered some additional Merkur blades and the difference between them and the free blade was amazing. Not that I became an overnight sensation with a DE, but even my second DE shave was a lot better and I hadn't changed anything other than the blade.

So far, I've used about 30 Merkur blades and it's become one of my favorite brands. I get between 5-7 nice shaves from each. I have read elsewhere that I am not the only one who has had problems withe the "free" Merkur blade. Had someone told me this before trying it I might have thought them crazy. Why would Merkur supply a horrible blade with their razors when the profit lies in selling more blades? Had I not already bought additional Merkur blades, they would never have made their way into my razor again.

If I have one criticism of Merkur blades, it's their price. They are good blades, but no better than others selling for a lot less. Crystal Platinum, in particular, gives me at least as good a shave at about 1/3 the cost of Merkur.

4.0 out of 5 stars Single Blades, December 13, 2007
L. Ward "Bald buyer" (NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
Being a man of color I rely on the single blade razors. Merkur razors and blades have been the best for me no more bumps or ingrown hairs. I own two of them the long and short handles. I recommend them for all guys who have trouble with bumps and razor burn cause it is perfect for sensitive skin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite Possibly the worst choice in a double edge blade, November 1, 2009
ASA (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
I'm a bit stunned by these reviews. If you buy a Merkur Razor, this is possibly the worst choice in a blade. They are incredibly expensive, dull quickly, and provide a rather rough shave.

If you are using a Merkur blade as your first DE blade, maybe you think it's great, but there are so many better choices that are a fraction of the cost.

Please get a sampler pack of blades when you get your first DE razor. Derby, Gillette 7 O'Clock, Israeli Personna, and even Wal-Mart blades are a much better choice. These are terrible. I buy my favorite blade (Israeli Personna) for about 10 cents a blade with shipping. Derbys are pretty good too, at about 13 cents a blade.

4.0 out of 5 stars These blades were OK, August 1, 2010
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
I'm starting to think some of the extremely positive and extremely negative reviews for double edge razor blades are just a result of brand loyalty. I've tried quite a few brands of DERBs and have found very little difference between them, even with relatively thick stubble. The truth is, at ~$0.10 a blade you can't really go wrong. These Merkurs worked fine but in my opinion were not worth their premium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blades and consistent quality., August 8, 2010
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
I don't have an especially heavy beard and i've tried several different brands of blades. The Merkurs are an excellent choice. I don't believe they are the sharpest blade I've used but they are more than adequate. For me, their biggest asset is consistency and that's a big plus if you have ever gotten a dud out of your razor dispenser and scratched or nicked yourself with a "new" blade. If I had to pick a "con", it would be the cost of the blades.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, July 7, 2012
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
Tried these blades because it came with the Merkur razor that I bought. I've been using a Parker with Shark and Feather blades. The Merkur blade felt like I was dragging a brick across my face. Not a good experience at all. I would rank it behind Derby. Well behind Derby. They may work well for some, but I won't be using them. The razor itself is good, but not the blade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of Many, One, April 4, 2012
John Miller (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
At the coaxing of a co-worker, I switched from a fancy disposable multi-blade to an old-fashioned safety razor. He had done the same about a year earlier, and thought it would be good for me. I have extremely sensitive skin, and very coarse facial hair.

My co-worker had tried 8 or 9 different brands of blades; as a result, he had that many for me to try. We both landed on the Merkur as our blade of choice. While the Feather blades seem a tad sharper, these seem... more solid... or something. I get a close shave without feeling like I took off the top 3 layers of skin as well. I rarely get razor burn anymore, and the blades will last for several shaves.

Everything I could hope for and more, and I use them exclusively now.

Blades are a personal thing; what works for one won't work for all, but these are worth at least checking out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
I have compared Merkur with feather blades and feather is much more sharper and last longer. I will recommend to try feather also, before making decision.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, January 24, 2010
D. Garsys (Charleston, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades (Health and Beauty)
I decided to give the whole DE-shaving thing a try. After looking around, I ended up buying the Parker 96R razor because it reminded me of my dad's gillette from waayyyy back. I also ordered a 10-pack of Sharks (came with the Razor), a 10-pack of Merkur blades, and a 25-pack of Derby blades.

First note - the razor is solid, with a comfortable heft. It also closes up well - though not quite perfectly on both sides - and holds the blades nice and straight while making it trivial to pop a blade in or out.

As to the razors, my impressions after trying out (almost) 2 each. This was to ensure that impressions I had weren't just due to being a tyro. Even with the occasional nick, the shaves have been consistently close (except for the Merkur, I'd wake up the NEXT morning with a closer shave than I'd gotten out of some electrics).

Sharks - Nice, sharp, and I can get several shaves out of them before I start getting razor bumps, hair tugging, or "slips" due to the blade dulling.

Derby - just wow. Nicer, sharper, and not really more expensive. Very happy with them. I almost immediately felt like this blade just glided over my skin effortlessly shaving away my beard.

Merkur - perhaps it was just a matter of fit with the razor, but this is the only blade that consistently felt skittish, the one I consistently nicked myself with the easiest, and the only one I got razor bumps on the very. first. shave.

I actually ended up mentally rating the razors based on how many shaves before they started feeling like the "new" merkur blades - and were, IMO , unusable since I'd start getting the razor bumps from my cartridge days. The sharks would give me three shaves, the derby blades 4, maybe 5.

In short, the only reason It didn't get fewer stars is that for a "cartridge" quality shave, It still costs less.

Merkur Combo Pack of 30 Razor Blades