Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Now Deal of the Day

I was always looking to get the old fashioned shave. After years of blowing money on Machs, I wish I'd done this sooner. Like the other reviews say, use the weight of the shaver no pressure. just heat your face up with a hot wet towel and get some nice lather going with the brush and let it slide down your neck and face. Just let it roll...nice and easy. Dont rush or you will cut yourself. just take your time and do a good job and you wont have to shave again for 2 days.

I have facial hair that is tougher to trim than steel wool. This thing is like a hot knife through butter. Paired with a 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush

here:

********and a tin of Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream

here:

...get all three working together and you have the smoothest skin since you were 6 years old!

5 stars!!!!

ADVICE******

Dont go for kits just because it comes with a brush and a stand.. Most kits pair a popular razor with a mediocre brush and a stand that costs a dollar to make.
go the extra mile and get them separately and they will last for years.

my kit is a drop in the bucket compared to years of money on stupid mach 3's cartridges? I've been using mach 3 since it came out in 1998. Thats 12 years ago!
Do the math. average 12 pack of mach 3's 23.00 x 1 year about 6 12 packs a year for me = 138 x 12 years = $1656

I think you get the idea.
on August 2, 2012
The reviews all start the same. We're tired to throwing money at cartridges that, while they work great, cost an arm and a leg. I was nervous about switching, so I checked out reviews and watched some YouTube video's about proper shaving techniques. It's not rocket science, but I wanted to be prepared. It was worth the time too because I love the razor and found out some interesting things since using it.

1. It forces you to slow down (which is a good thing). Most mornings are controlled chaos for a lot of us. Get ready, eat breakfast, make sure little Timmy isn't shoving pennies in the light socket (how can you pinch pennies if he's shoving them all into light sockets? Stop wasting our money little Timmy! Right?!), etc. This razor isn't designed to give you he fastest shave in the world since you have to pay attention to what you're doing and rinse it out fairly frequently. Why is this a good thing? Quick, when do you do some of your best thinking? Answer: In the shower and on the toilet, i.e "me time." Now, I can add "whilst shaving" to the list. Pro tip: Incorporating "whilst" into conversations conveys you're a gentlemen and not some "look at my swag" d-bag. Ladies appreciate this.

2. Replacing blades makes you feel like a warrior. Blades get dull after a week or two, so it's time to change. You used to just pop off a cartridge and click in a new one. No mas, mi amigo. Now, you get to unscrew the handle, take apart the top (which I'm sure has a proper name, but whatever) and unsheathe your new blade like an ancient Samurai ready to do battle. Pop in that new blade and you're back in the action. Oh, and I should mention that a pack of 100 replacement razors costs like 12 bucks ($0.8 per blade for you non-math guys). Pro tip: Whilst replacing your blade, feel free to make warrior quips, i.e. "Say hello to the Doombringer you insolent beard," or my personal favorite..."I'm your Huckleberry." Cause Tombstone is awesome.

3. You get more respect. Friends and acquaintances using your bathroom will think twice about pissing on the rim of your toilet when they see this chrome beauty on the counter. It sends a clear message, "The owner of this bathroom shaves like a man, and is quite possibly moving in on your girl this very instant, so be quick and clean and we won't have a problem." Pro tip: Go the extra mile and leave a little blood trail on the counter. When asked about it, look him dead in the eye and whisper, "it's not my blood." Hold the stare for an extra 2 seconds before casually going back to your whiskey and cigar. He'll get the message...they all do.

So in conclusion, it's a great razor, you'll save a lot of money in the long run, men will want to be you and women will want to be with you.

Happy Shaving.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2010
This is a really nice, simple, German made double edge razor. It is not adjustable, but you really don't need that, and it must be dissasembled to replace the blade, but that just makes the blade alignment more precise. I've tried them all and this one does a great job without a lot of whistles and bells.

Started with an electric: Does a good fast job. Your face has to get used to it, and the closeness goes downhill fast. Must be cleaned a lot, and replacement foils and blades are expensive. Most of these are so loud they can wake up the dead.

Then went to a rotary: Did not clean the neck as advertised, and like the foil shaver it must be cleaned a lot. Quieter than a foil shaver. Heads and cutters are expensive.

Tried an adjustable double edge: Good shave, some cuts do to poor alignment of the blade and the fact that I didn't know what I was doing.

Went to the new multi-blade razors: Very good shave, but very expensive and impossible to clean out the gunk from between all those blades.

What the hell, tried a real straight razor: Huge learning curve, but a wonderful morning or evening ritual. Very close shave once you get the hang of it. Slow. Lots of stropping.

Finally, the Merkur: Much nicer than the old adjustable, and pretty much as close as the straight razor but much faster. An excellent compromise among all the razors you can get. Rinses out easily.

For the best shave and experience you will need a brush and some shaving soap, and some excellent brushes and soaps can be found right here at Amazon. Read the reviews.

With this new razor I'm now switching back and forth between the straight and the double-edge. Straight when I have the time and want the full shaving experience, and the Merkur when I want a great shave with less hassle.

If you are new to this, there are lots of videos at YouTube on how to "wet" shave. Don't use a lot of pressure (the weight of the razor should be enough), change the blade at least weekly, and the razor is all metal. It will be very hot if you rinse it under steaming water and bring it up to your face.
on January 21, 2010
The razor is awesome and I found that the learning curve that most reviewers mentioned about shaving with this blade was really a heads up. It's not difficult and for the most part let the weight of the razor itself be the only amount of pressure against your face. If you've been wet shaving for years and transition to the safety razor you're doing yourself a HUGE favor!!! Highly recommended.
on March 26, 2010
works great, threw that mach 3 away the first time i used this. it came with 10 extra razors as well. i bought some razors from wallgreens 10 pack for 6 dollars and they worked just as well. 60 cents a blade change vs. 2.50 with mach 3, who can argue with that one! by the way i also have been using a brush and shave soap for a couple of years now and this really compliments that, real nice shave.
i have used a straight razor before, and that got old, constantly sharping, stropping, and the care of it i, just put it away after a while. but this safety razor, i don't see ever using anything else.
on January 17, 2012
I did some digging and it seems this is the Merkur 20c, only with a matte grey handle instead of the normal black. This is not even close to the #180 and to top it off the 10 bonus blades are not Merkur blades as shown, they are Dorco blades just kind of crammed into the box. The pictures are all incorrect, the model numbers are incorrect and I can't even find a picture of the razor they sent me.

The head appears to be the same however the neck and base are completely rounded making it tricky to tighten. I would prefer to not grant any stars to this since I didn't get what I ordered and so can't review the product listed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2010
This razor is really great It is my favorite. I liked it so much I ordered another as a gift. The second razor (with the same model #) was an open comb razor which also gave a great shave. However, I much preferred the closed comb model and this preference is purely subjective on my part. I think Amazon or the vendor should have indicated the differences on the webpage. Merkur lists these with 2 different model #s. Amazon lists them both as #180.
on January 30, 2012
Ordered chrome DE Razor with 10 blades. Seller shipped matte finished razor with 10 non Merkur blades. Lot of people who have reviewed this product have had similar problems and I am surprised why Amazon is not acting on this issue by contacting the seller to correct this problem. I have been a amazon customer for quite some time and have had no issues buying products directly from Amazon. Their customer service has been outstanding. Reason for 1 star is not a reflection on Amazon but the seller who is selling this product thru Amazon. I will be returning this product and have ordered this product again. hope the seller gets it right this time. I will update this review after I get my shipment.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 12, 2012
I've been using various Schick and Gillette razors since I started shaving 15 years ago. I must have sunk a small fortune on blade cartridges. I'm not a regular shaver - meaning I don't shave "every day", or "every other day", or on any set schedule what-so-ever. I shave when I have time, and when my beard starts to bother me, or when I just need to look a bit more presentable :)

Recently, I finally decided that I've had enough - yet another brand new razor got completely gunked up, because I haven't shaved for a week, and it was too much for whatever Schick cartridge I was using. These things just aren't meant to be used on a week's long beard. Anyways, the razor went in the garbage, and I went off looking for alternatives. Enter this safety razor :)

Pros:
* The blades are dirt cheap. I can purchase them in bulk and use a brand new, sharp blade, practically every shave (though they can certainly last several), and still save money compared to Gillette or Schick. Plus you are not locked in to one manufacturer. Feel free to experiment with different brands of blades.
* The construction is joyfully simple. Simple things make me smile. It's just three solid chunks of metal. There is nothing to break, no batteries to change, and the whole thing comes apart for cleaning in a breeze. I am willing to bet that this thing will outlive me.
* The nature of the safety razor is such, that there is plenty of clearance between the razor and the metal safety edge - this means it cannot get gunked up with hair. Even if I haven't shaved for a week. And if anything did get in there that wouldn't come out by just placing the thing under running water, I could always take it apart in 5 seconds to rinse it out - simplicity.
* If you do it right, you get a clean, close shave, every time. You don't need 4 blades, or 3 blades or 2 blades. One is perfectly sufficient.
* I don't have to "bend over and take it" for Gillette/Schick anymore, and I save money on blades.

Cons (yes there are cons. This is not a magical, unicorn-powered device):
* There is a learning curve. Coming from the flexible Schicks and Gillettes, this will take a bit of time to adjust to. Yes, there will be blood. But it's nothing a man can't handle. Yes, I went there :) After 3 shaves, my cuts were few and far between. Most shaves now are flawless. Our dads could do this. So can we.
* It will take longer to shave. No matter how good you get, all things being equal, it takes longer than with a Schick/Gillette. You have to be careful. You have to take your time. If you rush, slashing this thing every which way, you will bleed. Set aside some time to shave - I give myself 20 mins. Make it a ritual. Use a quality brush, a good pre-shave lotion, a good soap. Enjoy it.

So, if you are tired of shelling out money to Gillette and Schick, wan't something that works well even on an overdue shave, and have some patience - this is a good choice.

Side note - I strongly recommend using a pre-shave lotion like the "Proraso Pre Shaving Cream 3.6oz". I'm quite certain it has improved my shaving experience significantly. It's cheap and the little container lasts a long time (I'm still on my first one after 6 weeks - about 25% used).
on February 4, 2012
like a few other people here, the razor i received is not the one pictured. the one i received has a matte shaft, with chrome head and round chrome base. very annoying. and the blades are not Merkur as advertised, but are Dorco.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...