5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in the world about the "best dog in the world"
Published on August 31, 2008 by K. J. Gardner

2.0 out of 5 stars Trite & Boring
Who cares whether man taught dog to hunt or dog taught man to hunt.
That was the high point.
Published on April 2, 2010 by Jack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in the world about the "best dog in the world", August 31, 2008
This review is from: Merle's Door Lessons From a Freethinking Dog Kerasote Ted (Hardcover)
Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking DogTed Kerasote writes from the heart as well as from his intellect in this memoir of his beloved dog, Merle. The story of the efforts he made to understand the experiences Merle had before he became Ted's ' best dog in the world' and to appreciate how they formed Merle's thought processes and decision-making makes for an emotional and thoughtful read. Ted came to see that the conventional approaches to dog discipline didn't fit for him and Merle, due to each of them being somewhat unconventional themselves. His human/animal behavior research is quite interesting and the tale of Merle's life and relationships is not to be missed by dog lovers. Be prepared to be drawn into the lives of these two and come out with a different point of view about your own canine relationships! I read it twice in about 8 months and was as deeply affected the second time. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dogs Are Partners, July 15, 2009
This book gave me such a tremendous feeling, I cannot say enough good things about it. The author Ted Kerasote is both expansive and detailed. The respect and accord he shares with his dog touched me deeply. His relationship with Merle has the mutuality of the best kinds of friendships.

The beginning, telling how Ted and Merle found each other, makes the rest of the story an outcome of that was just meant to be. The descriptions of their life in Wyoming, and the experiences Ted and Merle shared, made me want to make my life and my dog's life bigger.

This is a moving love story, with lots of considered reports of scientists' research into the nature of animals' consciousness. It is the best of both worlds, narrative and fact, entertaining and thought-provoking. It is not overly sentimental, there is an elegance to it. It is my favorite dog book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food For Thought, April 18, 2012
Had it not been for the friend who urged me to read Merle's Door, I would probably have never even encountered it. Though I have never owned a dog, I like dogs in general and perhaps the way I interact with my friend's dog led her to recommend this as something I might enjoy.
Merle's Door is an engaging tome that details the author's life with this once homeless dog and how they became not only best of friends but companions on a higher plane than most people ever reach with their pets. You see, instead of always expecting Merle to listen to what he told it, author Ted Kerasote also "listened" to what Merle told him and learned from it as well.
It helps the story immensely that the author lives in a beautiful part of the country, and so the reader vicariously enjoys the numerous trips Ted and Merle take into the Tetons and other surrounding mountain ranges. Hunting, hiking, skiing, you name it, they both enjoy life together to the fullest.
Intertwined within the story is a lot of useful information about animal health and dog behavior the reader who is a pet owner should mentally file away for reference as needed. About the only thing that keeps this from being a five-star book are the fairly frequent descents into silliness. But it is clear that the author has a way with dogs and that his dog Merle becomes a very special dog indeed. Highly recommended for anyone who has a dog or just plain likes them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of friendship, February 1, 2011
I loved this book.Through the years I've had several animals that have been friends more than pets. This book tells the story of one of those kinds of friendships. Just like people, some animals are better at connecting and communicating than others. Merele was one of those dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best and most informative dog books I've ever read, April 28, 2010
When I bought Merle's Door, I thought I was simply buying a story about a "great" dog. However, Ted has provided so much research and background work into the "why" Merle was different and unique that the book took on a much higher value. I too own a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, who looks enough like Merle to be his twin.... and can actually see the traits and habits Ted describes in Merle in my dog. Allowing a dog to function, learn, and think moves some dogs into a much higher level than "backyard companion". Trust me, a "free thinking dog" is not for everyone, but for those of us who view dogs as partners and part of the family, they can provide endless hours of good companionship, and sometimes amusement. It's sad that our companions live a shorter life than we do....and their inevitable end always leaves us devastated and empty.
I can't thank Ted enough for sharing his experiences in this book. I've shared it with so many that the paperback is nearly worn out, so I'm buying a hardcover edition for my library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Dog!, August 21, 2014
I liked Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote because Merle was such an adventuresome dog and the bond he had with Ted was heartwarming. I could have done without the research side notes that the author included about history of dogs and studies that have been done but am sure some people would find all that interesting. Personally, I liked the parts about Merle and his adventures, his bond with Ted, and his encounters with other dogs and wildlife. Of course, the ending made me cry but if you don't want to read the sad part, just stop before the last couple chapters. It is a good book and I enjoyed it, probably because Merle reminded me of our dog in some ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardcover Book, November 21, 2010
The book Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote was received in a short time after the order was placed, a just "like new" copy. The book is one of the best books I've ever read about the close relationship of a man and his dog companion. Lesson's in it for all who have dogs. Kerasote's story of 14 years with Merle is a dedication to man's best friend but also reveals a strong sensitivity and understanding of the intelligence other creatures. It brought back many treasured memories of my dog and cat companions, it also calmed some feelings and regrets in remembering their loss. Sunny

5 bright stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Every Dog Lover, April 19, 2010
What a enchanting read. It is an adventure into the natural beauty of Wyoming and Yellowstone Park, as well as a moving tribute to an truly wonderful dog. The historical details about the dog/human interaction can be a bit tedious at times but this is an informative book as well as an incredibly moving tale about writer Ted Kerasote and his impressive canine buddy Merle. It is a testament to living free, especially the right for our pets to know the joy of freedom. Ted, thank you for writing this book. Your National Outdoor Book Award is well-deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merle's Door, November 11, 2009
Not just another tribute to a special canine, Merle's Door
gave me a glimpse into the historical significance of dogs
in our civilization.

Kerasotes' writing of the outdoorsman experiences
he and his "found" canine companion Merle share, is an outstanding
read for anyone.

I only wish there had been more chapters. Merle's days and
nights spent enjoying Colorado's beauty and wildlife were
comical,touching, and educational. We don't own dogs, they own us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Merle's Door Lessons from a freethinking dog, June 23, 2014
This is one of the best books I've read. I ordered this one to send to a friend, who also
loved it!