Published 14 months ago by cabby

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Merrell but...
Published 6 months ago by JT Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars Best shoe I've ever run in, comfortable, durable, lightweight, August 13, 2013
cabby (Jacksonville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merrell Men's Barefoot Road Glove 2 Running Shoe (Shoes)
I've run in and rated the original Merrell Road Glove which were an excellent running show but Merrell has outdone themselves' with the Road Glove 2. This is a fantastic running shoe! Very comfortable. The sole of the shoe is more durable and flat, which I prefer. The insole is much improved over the prior version; it feels smooth, doesn't break down and continues to provide antimicrobial properties that reduce/eliminate foot odor (wish all their shoes had this feature). This is a key feature to me as I do not use socks so foot odor can build up quickly. There is a non-intrusive, protective toe band and the usual reflective strips for night time running. The shoe really wears well, I've got several hundred miles on my shoes and the sole has plenty of life left.

On the road the shoe is perfect; lightweight, comfortable with just the right amount of feel and feedback. I have not had any injuries and my running has improved since buying these shoes. They fit well with a big toe box and good fit around the rear and mid-foot. I use two pairs and alternate them to let them dry out. These are zero drop shoes and runners need to take their time switching to a barefoot/minimalist running style. Overall, this is an exceptionally nice pair of low-cut barefoot running shoes. I highly recommend them for running or full-time wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THE SIZE ADJUSTMENT, December 28, 2013
Great shoes. Perfect for exercising. I'm not a runner so I can't speak to that but they are great for the gym, especially leg day! Keeps foot flat on leg press and when doing lunges for better form! Read the size chart. I had to buy a full size smaller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits larger than other Merell Gloves, February 22, 2013
Feels bigger all around, wider, longer, everything than Road or Trail Glove. Order a half size smaller at the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jungle moc' for high arches., November 17, 2013
Bought these to replace my Nike Free shoes; which is the only running shoe I've used since they were first launched by Nike. Decided to switch things up a bit since a large majority of companies now offer minimalist shoes. Did some research on Runners World and narrowed it down to Merrell (which won out over the Altra brand) based on performance reviews. Both RW and Amazon suggested ordering a half-size smaller than normal, and is dead-on accurate. I ordered an 11.5M and they fit perfectly compared to my 12's. Thank you to all those who wrote reviews acknowledging Merrell shoes normally run a half-size large. This shoe also fits more like a "B" in width than a "D". I have a narrow foot and this shoe fits much better than my "D" size Nikes. If you are truly a "D", this shoe will likely fit tighter than most around back portion of your foot.

I've ran about 15 miles in these in the last three days and can feel the change-over in my lower calf muscles. These shoes are extremely comfortable (especially for those with high arches) and just wearing them makes you feel ready to sprint into action at a moments notice -- if you have low or medium arches you may not like the (non-removable) arch support in these shoes, so if possible, I recommend trying a pair locally before buying. I did put my Nike Free insoles in theses for a little extra cushioning after about the first five miles and like the feel better with than without. The "low-volume" insole adds just the right amount of cushioning without changing the zero-drop of the shoe.

These shoes are not as flexible as a Nike Free, but I knew this before buying them, and only really notice it when running on inclines. The minimal material definitely helps maintain stability when running in wet conditions and keeps it light weight. Like a moccasin, its minimalist in design...basically, a sole with an arch support and just enough material to keep it snugly attached to your foot. The tread provides good traction on multiple surfaces, including pavement, dirt, gravel, and wet grass. These are definitely my new favorite pair of jungle moc's.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Merrell but..., April 1, 2014
I have the Merrell Trail Gloves and LOVE them. However, I was looking for something with just a bit more sole for roads and purchased the Road Glove 2. The arch support is extremely high, narrow, and stiff. The shoes looked great and felt great otherwise but the arch made them unusable. Returned for refund which was really sad. Again, if you have larger or flatter feet at all, beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, March 20, 2014
These have been pretty decent to me so far. I had been running with a pair of Merrells I purchased quite some time ago and decided to go with these to give myself just that little bit of cushion. As anticipated, I go all the benefit and feel of barefoot running with just a tad of cushion to help with the shock on my joints.

3.0 out of 5 stars awesome comfort worse than poor quality, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Merrell Men's Barefoot Road Glove 2 Running Shoe (Shoes)
this has been a 4th pair of Merrell barefoot shoes i owned and i got to say my running experience has been incredible. Two pairs of trail glove, one bare access and one road glove 2. he most comfortable shoe at least to me considering i have a slightly wider foot ( I'm size 9). i'm not much of an active runner, maybe 3-5 miles 4 days a week.
however 3 out of four pairs have fallen apart within the first 6 months. 2 were glued poorly so the top came off the sole around the the ball of the foot area and the 3rd one had the same issue plus the stitching gave in so the tongue is loose on my right shoe.
over all i'm happy because of the comfort but for $100-$120 what I've been paying for these they should be far better quality.
step up Merrell

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad stitching, May 30, 2014
I'm pretty hard on my shoes and I'll add miles quickly, my last pair of Road Gloves (the previous version of these) lasted more than 300 miles.

Unfortunately the stitching on these pair have already started coming apart after only 4 months of use. The throat of the shoe has already come undone and you can see major cracks in the bottom sole of the shoe already, highly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars 250 miles and counting, April 20, 2014
These shoes improved my jogging on the treadmill with the zero drop, almost feel like I'm running barefoot. My hammertoe was eliminated with this feature also. The large toe box is very nice. I would purchase these again .

5.0 out of 5 stars Get AT LEAST 1/2 size smaller, April 15, 2014
Quince (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
These are great shoes. I started running a few months ago and needed to get some new running shoes. They have met my expectations (and maybe even exceeded).

THIS IS A GREAT SHOE.

WARNING: After reading the reviews I decided to get 1/2 size smaller than I regularly wear. (got 11 when I wear 11.5). The shoes fit fine but I could have even gone probably to a 10.5. I wear them with socks and they fit just fine. Get a smaller size than you normally wear.

WARNING: If you haven't worn barefoot/minimalist shoes before (like me) you will come down with DELAYED ONSET MUSCLE SORENESS (google it). I ran 4 miles after getting them and couldn't walk properly for 2 days. You will exercise muscles you have not typically used before. It is necessary to ease into your workout.

Great shoe.