5.0 out of 5 stars Great hiking shoe & light work shoe...
Published on November 28, 2011 by C. Coe

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the hype
Published 13 months ago by dj

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the hype, September 3, 2013
First, a few things about me. I'm an avid day-hiker. This means I carry lightweight loads (three liters of water, lunch, a few extra layers, etc.). I live and hike in Colorado. I've been doing this for many years. I'm not an extreme hiker - I don't like bouldering, and I'm not crossing streams/rivers with my shoes on or anything like that. And as I age, I don't like rapid descents (bad knees). I like intermediate level hikes.

I read a great review of these shoes in Backpacker magazine. I read online reviews at REI and Amazon. I found a pair on sale at a local retailer in Estes Park, CO for about $85, so I took the plunge and picked them up.

Here's what is good about them:

1) They're light. Honestly, when I hold the shoe in my hand, I'm surprised at their weight (or lack of it).

2) They slip on and off quickly. I'm impressed with the unorthodox cord-lock instead of the traditional laces. Never once have I needed to tighten the cord lock while hiking.

3). The style is cool, if that's what matters to a buyer. I have the gray/blue ones and like the way they look.

The not-so-great:

1). The heat generated inside these shoes is head-spinning. The ventilation is terrible. I noticed the heat building up inside the shoe as I was crossing the parking lot during my first hike with them, and also in repeated uses since then. It is even worse when wearing cotton socks. I only hike with SmartWool PhD Lite socks (more on that below).

2). I don't have a long or exaggerated stride at all, nor do I drag my heels, and after three hikes averaging about 15 miles, the heel section of the outer sole is drastically worn. I don't see these lasting into next year's hiking season at this rate. However, I think the type of outer sole on this shoe is probably what is giving the shoe its incredible lightness (per my first comment above).

3). Related to the outer sole durability problem, the entire sole (not just the rear) is incredibly soft, and the shoe is very pliable. This is fine for people who walk on flat pavement, dirt, or well-worn paths, but if there are some occasional stones or roots with diameters greater than 1 - 2" on your path, you'll start to wish you wore something with a beefier sole real quick. I mention this because I'm not asking this shoe to do something it isn't advertised to do. I consider mild stones or obstructions of this size along any hiking trail to be a normal occurrence. Yet each time I have to cross some small stones or whatever, I cringe. Imagine it like the stiff suspension in a little sports car. You feel every bump in these, because the sole and the shoe are so overly soft and malleable.

4). Lastly, no matter how I tighten down the cord-lock, my heel rises off the inner sole ever so slightly with each step. It would be folly to presume I bought a size too big, because I buy all my hiking shoes to fit snugly, more than any other footwear I own, and I'm very picky about this. These fit me snugly, yet the way the cord-lock works with the heel support, there is constant movement. As I said above, if it weren't for SmartWool socks, which mitigate (to an alarming degree), the hot spots and rubbing, I probably would have some serious blisters by now. To give you an idea: even my SmartWool socks, after only 3 hikes in these shoes, are pilling around the heel! This is NOT normal for SmartWool, which I wear everyday for work and for recreation.

I noticed that a lot of other reviewers really love these shoes, and some careful reading shows that often people are not using them as exclusive hiking shoes. (There are some hikers who love them though, and that's great for them). Some of the reviews state that people are using them for travel (what, sitting there on a plane for a few hours? driving a car all day?), or for work (driving a forklift? walking about a warehouse? sitting at a desk?) without a lot of detail behind what their work or activity entails. I've tried to be explicit about how I use these shoes, and again, I don't think I'm asking of the shoes anything that could be construed as unreasonable or outside what Merrell might consider "proper usage." Granted, if I was just sitting at a desk all day with these, then yes, I would concur they are great shoes. But for the weekend day-hiker, I don't recommend them.

3.0 out of 5 stars A traditionally good shoe gone bad, December 31, 2012
Marc Olson (EAU CLAIRE, WI, US) - See all my reviews
I have owned about 4 pairs of Chameleons over the past 8 years, and every pair has been amazing. These shoes have been the most comfortable, durable and versatile shoes I have ever owned. I was really looking forward to my next pair, the Chameleon 4 Stretch, but was extremely disappointed after taking them home and walking around in them for a few days.

Now don't get me wrong, these shoes are very comfortable. They don't need any breaking in and you feel like you are walking on a cloud, but Merrell has slipped in two crucial areas; the heel and the materials.

I wore these shoes while finishing up my Christmas shopping at the mall and was concerned that my heel kept slipping. This has never happened with my previous Chameleon Stretches. I got the same size as last time (11) and decided maybe a half size smaller might fix the problem. Well, that was not the issue. The smaller pair just didn't fit. My other pair of Chameleon Stretches have a deeper heel with a hard plastic material which helps hold your foot in. The new version got rid of that plastic heel, lowered the height and uses a more elastic material which leads to the slippage.

My other gripe with the material is the hoop on the back which you use to slip the shoes on. It just feels cheap and I'm sure it would rip off within a few months of regular usage. While this may seem like a small detail, it really helps having tough hoops to pull your shoes on, and it can be a pain when they come off like they did with my last pair (even with a more durable hoop).

All in all, I really can't recommend buying this shoe, and it actually hurts me to say it. I have given Merrell a lot of money over the years in exchange for a durable quality product, and I am sad to say that the new model just feels cheaper. I will be heading to a box store to hopefully find a different model of Merrells that actually fit, but I may just decide to give my business to a different shoe company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hiking shoe & light work shoe..., November 28, 2011
I practically have nothing but Merrell shoes in my closet & this is one of the best pairs I've owned. I worked AAA roadside service I & wear these 5 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. Excellent wear, very good in weather, very light but still secure, comfortable as can be, & def. worth the money. Going to buy a few m ore pairs as soon as I've worn through these. Great shoe...period...

1.0 out of 5 stars Owned previous pairs but this one fell apart quickly, April 12, 2013
I have owned Merrell Chameleon 2, 3 and a previous pair of the Chameleon 4. The most recent pair started to fall apart in less than 2 months of normal usage. The heel started to separate and the stitching has started to come undone. I am quite surprised at the poor quality of this Merrell shoe since I have worn them for many years and have loved them in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrell Chameleon 4, Men, August 31, 2011
I love this pair of Merrell which is lightweight and best of all comfortable. You can walk in them all day long and your feet does not feel sore or tired at all. I would recommend this as a good pair of walking shoes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily stompers, January 27, 2013
These are the daily commuters. I wear them six days a week and they are great so far. Up and down ladders, on concrete and rooftops all day long. I wear 11s in nike, adidas, and most other shoes/boots. These fit true to size. The sole is softer and grippier than the two Merrell Continuums that I had before. Can't wait to take them off road.

1.0 out of 5 stars After 4 months and the heal is worn out, April 6, 2013
PD (Northville, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
I have only had the shoes 4 months and the heal is falling apart so it rips up my skin when walking. I am very disappointed in these shoes.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pale copy of the previous version, January 4, 2013
My Chameleon 3's are finally wearing out and have been my favorite pair of shoes in years. In fact, they have lasted almost 2 years in almost daily use, so when it came time to buy a new pair, there was no doubt what I would buy.

But, upon receipt of the new 4's, it was apparent that these were not an improved version of my older shoes and instead a step backwards and definitely not Hiking Shoes. The upper is still reasonably well made, but the sole is much thinner and the reinforced heel and upper lace components are gone. The new Chameleon 4 is simply a tennis shoe and not the multi-functional shoe it replaced that allowed me to wear them at work, around the house or on a reasonably strenuous hike and that reduces the value to me significantly.

Update: After a few months, I can tell you these are not as good as the 3's they replaced. Durability was better than expected, but support was not as good, especially when in rougher terrain. You will miss those reinforcements from the 3's. The biggest letdown was in terms of the comfort. The 3's were comfortable from the moment I put them on, and even after months of fairly heavy usage, the 4's are still stiff and tight, so I stand by my original title. They are still Merrell, so better than many brands, but not as good as the previous generation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly the shoe it once was..., August 30, 2013
I owned the originals which were built to last...these are built to fall apart quickly.
If Merrell continues on this path of shoddy materials and workmanship, I will spend money elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable Casual Shoe, May 10, 2013
In my opinion the Merrell Men's Chameleon 4 Stretch hiking shoe is good looking, well constructed, Lightweight, flexible and very comfortable as a casual shoe to wear.
The shoe seems to run true to size and although I've only worn it for two weeks, I've had no problems with the shoe.
My only issue that concerns me is the following:
The elastic lock lacing system is made of a stretchy (elastic like) material and I find it impossible to tightly lace, therefor if you are doing any running or serious hiking in this shoe it will be a loose fit (at least it was for me) and might not meet your expectations.
Other shoes I have owned that had the same type of lace system had laces that were solid with no stretch thus one could acquire a tighter fit.

Merrell Men's Chameleon 4 Stretch Hiking Shoe