Merrell Men's Moab Mid Gore-Tex Hiking Boot,Dark Tan,10.5
Size: 10.5 D(M) USColor: Dark TanChange
Price:$149.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 23, 2010
I've tried the Danner Mountain Boots, Jungles, and Cold Weather Aftermarket Danners to wear over here in Afghanistan for the last six months.

I have to say that these boots are the best I've owned in 9 years of Military Service. Granted, you can't wear them in Garrison but if you want a pair of light boots that help you run up and down rocky mountains while wearing a full combat load doing cartwheels then these boots are for you.

You can feel the rocks under your feet as the rubber soles but it doesn't hurt at all- but I have a definite feeling of good traction when I am moving up these goat trails and random rock formations.

They're super light compared to any issue boots, about a half what jungles weigh.

Also, you don't have to break these in whatsoever. I put them on the night before, walked to get some food and back, then wore them on a 9k dismounted patrol the next day. No blisters or anything.

Anyhow, I love mine.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2011
These lightweights do not have a platform stable enough for hauling a heavy backpack, but work great for light backpacking and dayhikes. The GoreTex is effective and they require no break-in period. They are durable and very breathable.
on December 23, 2012
At best the are good for first year hikers that only hike in fair sunny weather and hike on trail.

I get why this is the most reviewed boots out there and perhaps the most loved Merrell boots; If you never hiked before then you will love these boots.

Beginners worry most about comfort, in regards to footwear, when starting out for the first time.
Hiking is tedious on virgin feet. Before weather conditions it is usually comfort, or rather lack thereof, that turns most beginners away. The feet comes first and if at the end of a 5 mile hike your feet are in pain then most likely you may not want to ever hike again.

With these boots easy to moderate hiking in fair weather (which is the condition that 99.999% beginners start in)is a joy. They are durable for most terrain as long as you stay on trail and don't bushwack.

The Moabs are perfect because they can make any trail seem like you are walking on carpeted pavement. The removable insoles are very soft and flexible and the outsoles are more like something you would find on sneakers than mountain boots. Hence the rave reviews for comfort. But for me the positives stop there especially when discussing the quality of the uppers.

The Moab upper is a cheap glued together construction of faux suede leather and nylon mesh that say MADE IN CHINA. My toe rand started to peel off after a few wears (which was how I saw it is glued on and the stitching tracks are for fashion) and the eyelets for the laces at the toe end somehow kept digging into my feet everytime I flexed my feet while walking uphill(I will put some pictures up).

The reason I say these are not 'exactly' waterproof is because the outer mesh fabric soaks up water like a sponge and water clings onto the boot for a duration of time until the boots dry out. So your feet inside remain dry, due to the GoreTex XCR lining, but will feel wet and cold. The cause of this effect is the breathability disappears on a soaked boot and your feet starts sweating on the inside.

This is why some folks claim their feet get wet in the Moab XCR. It is not water getting in but the outer fabric soaking and losing breathability causing your feet to sweat buckets of water inside the boots.

The Moabs are good boots for fair weather trail-only hiking and I get the idea that Merrell intended these Moabs to do just that. In that regard they will make most beginners happy for the sub $100 price. However if you want to go off trail or want to overnight, regardless of weather conditions, then look elsewhere.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2013
Merrill boots have been my favorite boot wear for a couple decades and as of the last three years the two pair I have purchased have crumbled/ exploded/ literally come apart everywhere there is a glue seam, also the soles have broken off in chunks. I have gone thru two tubes of SHOE GOO just to keep them intact for a while though they're not waterproof anymore. I'd guess the Quality Control in Thialand is lost in translation. Merrill never should have sold his company or his name.It's junk now. Would not recommend this brand.NO MORE MERRILL FOR ME. Another thing: with all the reduced costs that drive outsourcing why are we still paying so much for a boot that cost about $10.00 in manufacturing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2013
the soles have separated after two weeks of wearing them.for the money that i spent i expected a lot more, especially from a pair of merrells.
on April 18, 2012
I'm not sure why people are complaining that these boots aren't stable enough with a heavy load. I wore these for 7 months in Afghanistan and they held up fine during missions with a 90lb ruck and full combat load.
They are built more after an athletic shoe fit, not a mountaineering boot. The flex is great and it's just like wearing sneakers on patrol. No break in whatsoever. These boots are ready to go right out of the box. If you want to be faster get the low tops but for long movements or hikes over uneven terrain, these boots are great.
One thing to remember with Gore Tex boots: Once water is in them, they don't drain out. Which sucks when you have to walk through canals. They keep water out when you walk through wet fields. But after a while, water seeps in and then your socks are soaked. I would recommend the Moabs without Gore Tex. And then once the weather warms up or you want to hike in these at home, your feet breathe better.
The only problem with these boots are the eyelets for the laces. Once they're covered in mud and dry, they snap. And once they break there's no way to fix it. Merrell needs to make metal eyelets that hold up after a lot of wear and tear.
If you're looking to carry heavy loads over long periods of time then buy some Asolos or mountaineering boots to keep the weight off of your feet. But if you want all purpose boots that hold up with a heavy ruck and are flexible enough to go on medium distance hikes, buy these.
on November 30, 2013
I purchased these boots after hearing how good Merrell boots were from fellow hikers. The feel was great with virtually no break in required. After three months of wear, the shoe started coming loose from the sole. I really expected more from this boot for the price I paid. These boots were purchased at Gander Mountain but they would not replace them after thirty days. I would have rated the boot five stars if it had stayed together. Under the circumstances I would not recommend this boot.
on January 11, 2011
Comfortable shoe; light; keeps cool enough in the summer, and warm enough in the winter. Was VERY disappointed in waterproofing. My last cheap pair of High-Tech boots ACTUALLY kept my feet dry. THESE DO NOT! And I'm not talking about stepping in 6" of water, I'm talking a puddle splashes up on your toes, and now your feet are wet. If you want something waterproof DON'T buy these.

UPADTE - 4/12/11 - Sent my boot to Gore-tex and they backed up their product 100%. They are now sending my the boot/shoes of my choice! If you want waterproofing, MAKE SURE IT SAYS Gore-tex!
on August 1, 2013
I purchased a pair of the Moab Gore-Tex boots and shortly thereafter the upper came detached. Merrell, thankfully, replaced them with the same boot. I have had the new boots for about 8 months and the same problem has happened. The sole is in good shape but the boots are unwearable and no longer waterproof. I was offered a 20% off coupon on my next purchase of Merrells, but refused it as I will no longer purchase any other Merrell products.
on June 29, 2014
I bought these Merrell boots with high expectations after reading all the great reviews. I am in the agriculture field and need a hiking boot that would stand up to medium to heavy duty use. I cross creeks, hike up mountains, and walk old cow paths on a daily basis as part of the job. After only 3 months these boots are not holding up. The bottoms have separated, they are not waterproof in wet grass, and the insoles are completely worn out. These were my first pair of Merrells and my last. If you need a "serious" boot, spend your money elsewhere.