5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Shoes
Published on July 4, 2012 by Alfred Sconce

3.0 out of 5 stars shoes
Still breaking them. They seem a little more narrow than I expected. They look good. That is all I have to say.
Published 4 months ago by Joe Vandever

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Shoes, July 4, 2012
I have worn these shoes for about 1 year and they are the best shoes I have ever owned. They combine decent looks, superb comfort, durability and great grip (VIBRAM SOLE). I have worn these shoes in the jungle in Australia, through deep snow on the side of Mt Blanc in France, across swampy bogs in England, in mud, on ice, on the beach. On the flip side, they are good enough to wear to work or while taking your wife out for dinner ( depending on wife and job conditions). The important thing is that you can wear them all the time, and if you happen to get an opportunity to spontaneously do a hike where you need to cross snow or walk on slippery rock, then you are OK. So if you have a work trip you can slip them off easily for the TSA, wear them for work and hike on the same day - no need to travel with multiple shoes. The heel groove is not great but adequate for horse riding. The only reason I am not giving them six stars is that once while galloping a horse in them I turned to my son to yell how awesome it was and the horse ran me under a low tree branch. My helmet took most of the blow but I had huge split cheek and lip, which made it difficult to shave. I have a spare new pair under my bed in case they stop making them.

Update May 2013:
After two years of very hard use, I finally had to retire these shoes to home use because the back heel support cracked and they now are two uncomfortable to wear for long periods. But two years of use is extremely good value. I activated the pair under my bed and they are as awesome as the first pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Shoes)
I bought these before a two-week trip to Ireland. I wanted something to wear that was comfortable and versatile. I could not have been more happy. We hiked and walked our way around that beautiful country and never had one complaint about these shoes. The arch support and cushion was so comfortable. And despite the rain and dirt, never looked used. This is the third pair of Merrell's I have owned and have loved them all. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, October 24, 2012
Mickey789 "Mickey789" (Collegeville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Shoes)
I got these specifically for a trip to Japan, knowing that (1) I would be doing a ton of walking, and (2) I needed slip-ons for going in and out of people's houses, inns, etc. They did not disappoint.

All I can say is that these are the single most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever worn. They slip on easily, but they're made so that they cradle your foot around the ankle and feel secure. The cushioning is superb, and they still look great a month later (I barely worn any other shoes since I bought them). I can see that MAYBE the rubber toeguard will separate from the shoe at some point, but as of now, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I got my wife the Jungle Mocs (no Olmecs for women, but the Jungle Mocs are very close) for her birthday, and she was amazed with the comfort. While walking miles and miles around Tokyo, my legs got tired, my back got tired, I got tired--but my feet were cozy.

Sometimes I think these shoes are actually more comfortable than going barefoot or wearing lambswool slippers. Seriously--they combine that much comfort with amazing functionality. And I've worn them to work, even to client meetings (we're a casual company, but these "dress up" a pair of jeans).

4.0 out of 5 stars MERRELL EXCELLENCE, January 29, 2012
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Apparel)
Excellent shoe with an outer sole which allows all-season wear. It's style allows for both professional and casual wear. As an Oncology Pharmacist, I wear scrubs during the work day, which is one of the reasons I purchased this product; it feels better and looks better than athletic shoes/sneakers. It also looks great with a pair of jeans or khakis.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS SHOE!, December 8, 2011
Francisco Hernandez (Santa Fe Springs, CA United States) - See all my reviews
First slip on shoes I've ever owned. Amazing to say the least!

They look great and are soo comfortable! All my shoes are obsolete after finding these now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted., October 22, 2011
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Apparel)
This shoe is awesome. Looks cool and is a little more rugged than the similar Jungle Moc by Merrell. Would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the looks, super comfortable but VERY easy to stain, March 20, 2014
Manasseh "Manasseh" (Central-Middle TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Shoes)
I love the comfort of these and they look very nice,or rather they did. About the second time wearing them got something on my right shoe that made a dark stain. I was doing anything that required use of toxic materials or anything much other than water that I would expected to stain but despite multiple attempted cleanings the stain stays. Not so happy about that or the apparent lack of much in the way of being stain resistant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Order a half-size up from a Jungle Moc and you're good to go... walking., September 7, 2014
RangerDog (Southern California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Shoes)
I'm a big fan of Merrell Jungle Mocs. But I walk a lot and I'm a heavy heel striker so they wear out too fast. When the heels are too worn for regular use, they're so comfortable, I turn them into my house slippers. For quite a while now, I've been looking for shoes that are as comfortable as the Jungle Mocs but have longer lasting soles. I've tried a variety of other brands and while some are pretty good, none match Merrell in the comfort versus price category.

When I found the Olmec on sale at a price actually lower than the Jungle Moc ($69 vs $80), I went for it. After reading the reviews, I guessed these would have to be a half-size larger. I'm a straight-up 9.5 with the Jungle Moc (and every other Merrell I've put on until now) but when I tried on the Olmec in size 9.5, my toe hit the front. So I ordered the size 10. They feel just like the Jungle Moc 9.5 with a slightly stiffer sole. I've never worn out a pair of Vibram soles so I trust them to last and the grip has been excellent on wet cement, wet grass, loose dirt and pretty much everywhere I've walked. These probably won't make as good a slipper as the Jungle Mocs, but they're turning out to be a better walking shoe. And they're comfortable enough that I don't immediately feel like kicking them off when I sit down to relax (the way I do with most shoes).

It is a little frustrating that you have to remember to buy a different size than with other Merrell shoes, but as long as you know that going in, the Olmec is just a more durable Jungle Moc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merell Olmec Slip On, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Shoes)
Great shoes, unusually comfortable. I usually take a 10 in Merrell's, but went with the smaller size after reading reviews. The 9.5 is a good fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A win-win!, January 23, 2012
Yana E. Murphy (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The Mayans would be proud of their ancestors in these shoes! They're very comfortable and they look great. Most importantly, they're light weight and seem pretty durable.

Merrell Men's Olmec