4.0 out of 5 stars My cat loves it!
Published 22 months ago by M. Pierre

3.0 out of 5 stars Changed price
Published 9 months ago by lavinia l ginn

4.0 out of 5 stars My cat loves it!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Merrick Before Grain #3 Tuna Paté Style Cat Food, 5.5 Ounce Can (24 Count Case) (Misc.)
I wanted to make sure that I gave my little one products that had little to no fillers and that definitely had no grain. I grabbed this at a local pet store and am very happy that I did because my cat loves it. When I tried giving him the chicken formula, he decided that he rather go hungry than eat it but this flavor, he gobbled right up. I do have to mash it down a bit and mix in some water so that it has a gravy-like consistency that is more appetizing. Once he's done, he just lays there contently licking his chops. It makes me feel great knowing that I'm giving him something that is a healthier alternative to some other brands.

ETA: I forgot to add in that the reason for the 4 star review is because of the consistency. I wish it had some type of gravy with it to entice my cat to eat it without me having to fiddle around with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cat Food!, May 25, 2012
dubletake (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I have a diabetic cat. I tried dry prescription foods only to see my cat gain or lose very little weight. When my vet recommended
a prescription wet food that was $2.00 per can, I was curious as to what made it worth that much and determined to find an alternative.
After going to said prescription food website and copying down the nutrient percentages, I was off to find something comparable. What I found however, was much better. The prescription food was full of liver and by products as the first ingredients on the label. Before Grain lists Tuna as the first ingredient and has no by products or liver in the list. Before Grain also has the protein, fiber, and moisture content that the prescription food boasts. I was also shocked that my veterinarian prescribed food was NOT even approved by the AAFCO. Before Grain IS an approved food. My cat goes nuts for this flavor and he has lost some weight
as well. Although if your cat is diabetic like mine, I do not recommend switching your cats diet without the consent and guidance of a vet as diet changes can change insulin needs. This food has worked well for my cat and I will continue to purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, July 2, 2012
Ravi Khanna (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
We have been purchasing this catfood ever since we got our kittens last October. They love #2,3, and 4. The ingredients seem fresh and there are no fillers...just natural protein. Our kitties have a ton of energy and seem very happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Changed price, July 11, 2013
This item is being discontinued. I called and verified it. I spoke to the representative and she said so. However, I will not be buying whats left over because the same day the raised the price on this product, shortly after I spoke with the representative telling her: " I wished they change their mind, and I would keep buying this product until it is all gone." To bad they are money hungry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Made my cats ill, February 9, 2013
My cats have been eating Merrill Before Grain canned food for over a year now. They really enjoy the turkey and quail/chicken varieties and have had no problems digesting either of them. Unfortunately, this isn't true for the tuna. Within 2 days of switching from turkey to tuna, they started throwing up not long after eating and experiencing somewhat frequent diarrhea. Switching them back to either the turkey or quail type cleared up the symptoms within a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for my grand-cat, January 28, 2013
Aderyn (Small-Town Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My son's family has a cat that has battled several health issues, and the vet recently told them it should be eating only grain-free food. Wouldn't you know, the cat is a finicky eater, and they went through a lot of expensive trial and error before they found a brand it would eat. My cats had given rave reviews to a different Merrick cat food in the past, so I decided to give some Merrick Before Grain to my grand-cat for Christmas. They were all a little dubious, and predictably, the cat walked away from it the first time. The second time, though, it deigned to sample it, and lo and behold, the Merrick food is a hit! It's a little better formulation than the one they were using and a little less expensive, too; what a perfect combo!

3.0 out of 5 stars Third best, after Salmon and Chicken., December 20, 2012
MOHCTP (Redwood City, CA) - See all my reviews
I have two elderly cats over 16 years old. One has a very sensitive stomach, and another had most of his teeth removed due to dental problems. They are almost exclusively on these Merrick Before Grain cans. Salmon (#2) seems to be their favorite. Second best is chicken (#1), and this one (#3) is third.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even your pickiest of cats will like this cat food., December 11, 2013
Regina Tiedemann (Fort Meade, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Along with the Salmon, my cats also love this cat food. And they can be pretty picky. There are no leftovers when I serve them this cat food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats loved it, seemed healthy, too., November 24, 2013
Kenyon (Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA) - See all my reviews
Rescue and Himalayan both ADORED it. Sorry it isn't available on subscription any more, as it is a bit pricey otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars does not contain chicken, October 25, 2013
Do you know how difficult it is to find cat food that does NOT have wheat gluten, corn gluten and all kinds of chicken by-products?
I was lucky to find this on Amazon because this company changed there formula and PetCo no longer carries this formula. The new formula has all the crap that I just mentioned above. Many cats cannot eat chicken and even tho there are many catfoods that will say it's salmon or tuna or . . . it has almost always has CHICKEN.
Unfortunately my cat is not supper thrilled with the tuna version.

ARRAY(0x9f228eb8)