5.0 out of 5 stars cat's review
My name is Petey. I'm a mature kitty gourmet who thinks this grain free salmon entre is delicious! My human won't give me all I request. Can you do something with her? Any help will be subtley appreciated.
Published on November 12, 2012 by J. G. COX

1.0 out of 5 stars Cats did not approve
I have 2 cats and have been through half of a case of this stuff and they will not touch it. Both cats will go up to the bowl, sniff it and walk away. They each eat a can of wet food every night and have no issue eating other brands.
Published 13 months ago by Crystal Brink

5.0 out of 5 stars cat's review, November 12, 2012
This review is from: Merrick Before Grain #2 Salmon Paté Style Cat Food, 3.2 Ounce Can (24 Count Case) (Misc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars My cats love this Cat Food!!!, December 11, 2013
Regina Tiedemann (Fort Meade, MD USA) - See all my reviews
My cats love this salmon - it is a bit runny but the flavor must be good as they eat it up immediately. And I love that it is cat food without the grain added to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kitties Dig It!, November 21, 2013
My kitties love their canned food at night. One of them needs to have an allergy powder and the consistency of Merrick's Salmon mixes well and hides the powder.

Since tuna isn't very healthy and my cats can't eat chicken, it's great to know they're getting a high quality food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purrrrfect, November 1, 2013
Cats love it.. I love the convenience of it arriving on my doorstep each month..What more could I ask for?

1.0 out of 5 stars Cats did not approve, October 28, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars No added fillers!, October 25, 2013
Do you know how difficult it is to find cat food that does NOT have wheat gluten, corn gluten and all kinds of chicken by-products?
I was lucky to find this on Amazon because this company changed there formula and PetCo no longer carries this formula. The new formula has all the crap that I just mentioned above. Many cats cannot eat chicken and even tho there are many catfoods that will say it's salmon or tuna or . . . it has almost always has CHICKEN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, October 25, 2013
Good product. Low carbs, unfortunately the manufacturer discontinued it and replaced with fancier but less healthier option from now on

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do you discontinue my cat's favorite food??, October 7, 2013
Merrick's 96% Salmon has been my two cats' favorite food since we adopted them as kittens. With any other food it is a hit or miss if they will eat it on that specific day. I'm highly disappointed that Merrick decided to discontinue the 96% product line. They said the new food will be even better but my cats are pretty underwhelmed by the new food. It's a lot more stiff (especially if you refrigerate 1/2 a can) and doesn't seem as fishy. I was able to order 24-cases on Amazon the last few months but now I saw Merrick is already out of the 5.5 oz cans. It's probably only a matter of days till they're out of the 3.2 oz cans.
@Merrick: Please rethink this new food strategy. There are a lot of people out there that LOVED the old 96% food and have a tough time feeding your new food.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cat loves it, so I do too!, September 19, 2013
Six months ago, our vet wanted us to start feeding our cat a "higher quality" food, which I'm pretty sure just boils down to grain-free. Most grain-free cat foods have pretty likable ingredient lists, and Merrick's Before Grain Salmon #2 is no exception. My cat is picky, and she refused to eat all of the other grain-free brands and flavors we offered her. This one, and the tuna version, were the only things she'd eat. She loves the taste, and it's good for her, so I love it too!
It's looking likely that Merrick may be beginning to phase out this line of products in favor of their new Purrfect Bistro line. My local pet store stopped carrying the "Salmon #2" version and told me that the Merrick Purrfect Bistro "Salmon Pate" is the new replacement. He said they were the same, but if you look at the label, the new cans are smaller AND higher calorie, so feeding amounts would need to be adjusted a bit, esp if you're watching your cat's weight. Also the ingredients are different, as is the smell, texture, and taste of the new version (yes, I tasted a tiny bit of each). The new version is intensely savory/meaty, whereas the old #2 version is more watery/fresh fish tasting. The good news is that my cat ate up the new version with no trouble at all, so at least that's not a concern for us, but I don't like the fact that the new cans are smaller, more caloric, and more expensive (at least at my local store) than the older version, so I'm sticking with old standby #2 for as long as I possibly can. After that, I may go to the new Merrick, or I may hunt around for another brand that suits our needs better. Hope this helps others who are noticing this same transition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my diabetic cat, September 6, 2013
This has been a great food choice for my diabetic cat. It has no fillers or byproducts or grains. I don't believe cats should be eating corn or rice, especially diabetic cats. It also dissolves well in water. My cats prefer to lick their wet food up instead of biting into it so I mix it with warm water. Any of you out there who have cats who only lick the gravy and don't eat the food (like in some of the 9lives or Fancy Feast cans) may want to try this option. Mixing water in is also a good way to get more water into their systems which they need especially if they are eating dry food too. My other cats like this food as well. She has had the salmon for the last two years and we recently tried the chicken and tuna which she likes too. Her insulin need has lowered significantly since being on this food and hasn't needed to be adjusted since. Read the label of Merrick Before Grain and then read the labels of 9-Lives, Fancy Feast, Iams, etc. and you will see a huge difference. I pay more for this food but it is worth it as comparing the labels with the garbage supermarket cat food to this one makes the choice a no-brainer for me. I also give my cats the Merrick Before Grain dry food (chicken flavor) too. Happy kitties :-).