5.0 out of 5 stars Dogs love the new formula
Published on August 23, 2012 by Storm

3.0 out of 5 stars Dog Loves it!
My dog enjoys this food and the ingredients seem to be great. However, this gives my dog the worst gas Ever!!! He passes gas for hours after eating it. I'm going to switch to grain-free. Hopefully this helps.
Published 8 months ago by Jennifer M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dogs love the new formula, August 23, 2012
This review is from: Merrick Classic 30-Pound Adult Real Chicken, Brown Rice and Green Pea Dog Food, 1 Bag (Misc.)
Shiba Inu (35lb) and Malamute (80lbs) owner here. I had been shopping for a new dog food since my old Taste of the Wild brand got hit with a recall. Ideally I try to keep my dogs' food in as close to the dollar:pound ratio, but it's getting harder and harder to find a good premium dog food in that range. At the time of this review, this Merrick product was creeping up on the two-dollar per pound mark, but I decided to give it a try anyway mostly because of a random sampler I was given while at a pet store. I took home the sampler baggie and my dogs went nuts for it. The dogs were currently eating a mix of left-over Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon, 30-Pound Bag and its replacement Hi-Tek Naturals Grain Free Lamb Meal and Sweet Potato Formula Dry Dog Food, 30 Pounds. The dogs still loved the Hi-Tek, but if you placed a bowl side-by-side with the new Merrick, the Merrick would be gone first.

For those who have tried Merrick in the past and found that their dogs were ambivalent to their flavors, I would highly suggest grabbing a small bag of their new formulation and trying again. My dogs didn't really care for their old gimmicky flavors (turducken, pot pie, etc), but they really loved this new "Classic" variety. As of this review, my dogs have been eating the product for about two weeks. They're both healthy and their ...droppings... are still as solid as with any other premium dog food. DogFoodAdvisor also gave this new formula a five-star rating.

Since I can't seem to find the full ingredient list on the Amazon product page, here is the list from Merrick's site:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, Barley, Sweet Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Oats, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Minerals (Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rudie likes it., March 20, 2013
After a bit of research I decided to feed my dog Merrick's Classic kibble. From what I can tell, it's the highest rated dog food within my price range. My dog seems to enjoy it, she's tried all the "flavors". I can't find it in any local stores, so ordering over Amazon is very convenient. Price seems good compared to other online stores, especially if you have the free shipping with Amazon Prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, December 26, 2012
It is rated highly and the dogs seem to like it. I am supposed to use nine more words. Done!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dog Loves it!, January 22, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrick Classic Adult dog food, August 26, 2013
I only buy Merrick for my dogs. Safe, made in the US, the dogs like it. I do not give my dogs any thing to eat from China.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent food!, December 27, 2012
I will only feed Merrick dog foods to my collie and Japanese chin. they love both the dry and canned varieties an even though it's pricey, it contains great ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food, December 30, 2012
I have two boxers a male and a female that love this food, I switched from purina pro plan to merreck. they were constantly shedding there poop was always soft/watery and irregular now they poop normal look good and shed 90% less. Highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dogs Love Merrick!, March 22, 2014
My dogs love Merrick dry food. They love the wet too(LOL) but it gives my little one diareah for some reason. However, the dry food is better anyway for their teeth and they love it. I've bought this from amazon a few times already and it's always come well packed and no rips. Will keep on buying as it is a great price on amazon and cheaper than the local stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent food that offer peace of mind, September 19, 2013
Joy R. (California, United States) - See all my reviews
I have given my Welsh Corgi all of the well-regarded brands: Wellness, Organix, Blue Buffalo, etc but the one she loves the most and never gets tired of is the Classic Merrick Chicken flavor. I have made a huge effort not to feed her sub-quality foods that source most of their ingredients from China so to find one she really enjoys without having to worry about rushing her to the vet is a boon. Yes, it is more expensive, but the lack of fillers mean she eats less than the big-name brands - in fact, it seems improbable but true that my 27-lb dog only eats 1/2-3/4 cup per day. Occasionally I will give her a treat by adding a few spoonful of Merricks' canned food, but she does well on just the dry, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer for my sugar-sensitive dog..., June 10, 2013
I discovered that my Australian Shepherd/Cattle dog mix was sensitive to sugar. She's had ongoing "itchy" problems (itchy skin and red eyes) that never seemed to get worse than just "an irritant" (no hair loss, or sores) but were never totally gone.

I tried numerous types of dog food, tried switching her to grain free, added fish oil, Welactin, vitamin E, and a variety of other products.

I switched her to this food two and a half weeks ago, and began adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to her water dish, and the case of the "ongoing itchies" has disappeared. Completely. And both my dogs love the taste! I set aside half their meal portion to use as treats throughout the day.

It costs a little more than the average dog food, but the difference it's made for my dogs has been more than worth it to me.

Rate and Discover Movies