5.0 out of 5 stars There is only ONE fair way to rate Dog Food.
Let's be honest. Customer Dog Food reviews pretty much all have a big lie. Would you review a steak dinner based on how your hair looks a week later? It didn't give you the runs? Pretty crude standards. You can't know how good a dog food is.

Unless you taste it. You have to taste lots of dog foods. Otherwise, you better look for a good dog psychic...
Published 8 months ago by Max Rockbin

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs like it pretty well but...
Published 10 months ago by swilkerson

5.0 out of 5 stars There is only ONE fair way to rate Dog Food., March 1, 2014
This review is from: Merrick Grain Free 25-Pound Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Dog Food, 1 Bag (Misc.)

Lucky you. I tried it for you. And Merrick Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato is definitely right up there. In fact, if I had to eat a dry dog food as actual food, I'd pick Merrick hands down. Lower class dog foods often have a cardboard like non-food texture and little flavor beyond maybe a mild sweetness (from the sugar and corn maybe). Really top end stuff - like Orijen Regional Red - have a beef bouillion quality. Actually too densely flavorful for human food, but wow do dogs go for it (I use that for dog treats. Too $ for every meal).

Merrick tastes kind of like a beefy wheat cracker. Maybe like meat flavored wheat thins. Really not bad. It doesn't have the sweetness and saltiness of a human snack food, but if you added salt & sugar, this stuff would sell!

Of course, you can't go just by human taste alone. In fact, the Orijen is probably a higher quality food than the Merrick, but is less human palatable. And many dog foods add scent just for owners. But I think you do get a sense of the richness and quality of the ingredients. A really good dog food just tastes like there's more stuff in that little bit 'o kibble.

Merrick has other things going for it too: I think the ingredients are better than in many dog foods. The Buffalo in this food is Bison (American Buffalo), according to Merrick, as opposed to some that are actually Indian Buffalo (as in Calcutta not Native Americans). It's relatively low fiber. For my dog, if I feed him as much of some brands as he needs, it goes right through him because of the higher fiber content. Fiber has a turbo effect on dogs because of their shorter intestines. After switching to Merrick, I could increase his calories with no problem.

Merrick is a premium food, but not as expensive as some. And I think you would have to pay about 20% more to get the same protein content in a food with the same quality of ingredients. The Amazon price (currently 49.99 on 3/1/14) seems good to me. As good as I can get anywhere local - and with free (prime) shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrick Grain Free 25 Pound Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Dog Food, February 27, 2013
If you want less shedding and a great shiny coat on your dog, then this is the ticket. I bought one bag and my dog loved it but it was pretty expensive so I switched to another brand (well known) and within two weeks my dog's coat was dull and the shedding was intense. So I've switched back to the Merrick brand and in just that two weeks, we are back to minimal shedding and a glossy coat. My German Shepherd loves this stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality food, August 25, 2013
1) all made in USA, in Texas — OK!
2) no wheat or genetically modified corn — super!
3) dog likes it
4) his coat is in good shape

Yes, I would recommend this food and will buy again. My local pet store doesn't carry it, so Amazon to the rescue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrick Grain Free Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Dog Food, November 14, 2012
Rosemary Ham (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
The product was very good--my dog loves it. However, I will buy it locally next time, as it was almost $10 cheaper at a local pet supply store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs like it pretty well but..., January 7, 2014
It smells good, can smell the sweet potato, but our dogs have experienced real bad allergies to this product. I know of one other dog, that is experiencing similar allergy symptoms to the same food. Itchy rashes in patches in various places. This is not a food for dogs that have skin sensitivity or allergy issues - not that this brand states any such claim - it doesn't, but we tried it because it appeared to be a very natural product with great ingredients. While I believe it's a good product, there is something in it that is triggering allergies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Dog Food, June 15, 2013
This grain free food from Merrick is fed to our 3 rescues - they love it! And it has even made our border collie mix's coat shine like it has never shone before. My lab mix's coat is black, and literally glistens in the sun. The expiration dates have, so far, been at least a year away, which was a relief - I was worried I'd be getting old food. And it came SUPER fast and no packaging was wasted. Plus, it was a few dollars cheaper thru Amazon than at the pet food store. Still expensive, but premium dog food is something I willingly pay for, if it means a healthier dog!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Dog Food, February 13, 2014
Robo21 (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Dog food for our family is a continuous research project. I always try to make sure we have the best possible kibble for our Mastiffs. It works! Our big boy is solid as a rock and 251 lbs. Our puppy who gets the Merrick Buffalo, is 5 months old and 85 lbs. His coat is awesome, his stools are perfect and we are able to feed less of this highly nutritious food to achieve the desired caloric intake and completely satisfy his nutritional requirements.

The Dog Food Advisor Website rates this food 5 out 5 stars (there aren't that many 5 star foods available) and my older dog food grading system works out an A++ for this food based on a system where you add points for good ingredients and deduct points for bad ingredients. Whether you decide to try this food or not always avoid feed with any kind of byproducts or corn or corn meal.

We do supplement the dry food from time to time with cooked sweet potato, cooked pumpkin, or cooked poultry. However, the Merrick is so complete, we do this less than with other dry foods. Furthermore, the Merrick is so tasty that they do not require add ins to make the food more palatable as with many dry foods. In fact, they love this food so much we are able to use the kibbles as training treats. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best food for any dog, February 12, 2014
R. Crosby (Lakeville, MN United States) - See all my reviews
One of the best foods I've ever used and having bred, raised, and shown dogs over a period of 15+ years, I've had experience with numerous "premium" brands. As a grain-free formulation, it is much closer to what a canine in the wild would eat, thus being more available to a dog's digestive system. For a high energy, active dog like mine, this is a superior food. I did my research on Merrick and would highly recommend its products to anyone who wants to make sure his or her dog(s) gets the best nutrition available.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - this product contains PORK!, May 18, 2014
This product contains PORK MEAL and NATURAL PORK FLAVOR(?). The list of ingredients on this page is incorrect. The list of ingredients on the bag lists PORK as an ingredient. My dogs are allergic to Pork. Since the formula change on this product my dogs have experienced more and more skin, paw and gas/diarrhea problems. If you have also experienced problems with your dogs, recheck the list of ingredients on the bag. When I received my first bag of the "reformulated" dog food, I very carefully checked the list of ingredients against the original formula. I do not remember Pork being listed anywhere - I would never have fed it to my dogs if it listed Pork, and I have not checked the listed ingredients after that. Maybe I should have - I don't know when Pork was added to this formula. For others out there who have dogs allergic to Pork, Merricks's Texas Beef and Lamb and Rice formulas contain Pork Fat in their list of ingredients. An accurate list of ingredients can be found on the Merrick Pet Food web site.

1.0 out of 5 stars not such good luck, November 29, 2013
I really don't want to slam this product maybe it's just my picky dogs, but they hated this food and only ate when they saw this is it.
I even tried different flavors. I feel if I'm going to spend the money for them to eat better they should also enjoy eatting it. They looked like I would feel if somebody stuck a bowl of spinach in front of me everyday.