5.0 out of 5 stars There is only ONE fair way to rate Dog Food.
Let's be honest. Customer Dog Food reviews pretty much all have a big lie. Would you review a steak dinner based on how your hair looks a week later? It didn't give you the runs? Pretty crude standards. You can't know how good a dog food is.

Unless you taste it. You have to taste lots of dog foods. Otherwise, you better look for a good dog psychic...
Published 12 months ago by Max Rockbin

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality Control and Customer Service
Published 5 months ago by Shawn

5.0 out of 5 stars There is only ONE fair way to rate Dog Food., March 1, 2014
This review is from: Merrick Grain Free Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food, 25-Pound (Misc.)

Lucky you. I tried it for you. And Merrick Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato is definitely right up there. In fact, if I had to eat a dry dog food as actual food, I'd pick Merrick hands down. Lower class dog foods often have a cardboard like non-food texture and little flavor beyond maybe a mild sweetness (from the sugar and corn maybe). Really top end stuff - like Orijen Regional Red - have a beef bouillion quality. Actually too densely flavorful for human food, but wow do dogs go for it (I use that for dog treats. Too $ for every meal).

Merrick tastes kind of like a beefy wheat cracker. Maybe like meat flavored wheat thins. Really not bad. It doesn't have the sweetness and saltiness of a human snack food, but if you added salt & sugar, this stuff would sell!

Of course, you can't go just by human taste alone. In fact, the Orijen is probably a higher quality food than the Merrick, but is less human palatable. And many dog foods add scent just for owners. But I think you do get a sense of the richness and quality of the ingredients. A really good dog food just tastes like there's more stuff in that little bit 'o kibble.

Merrick has other things going for it too: I think the ingredients are better than in many dog foods. The Buffalo in this food is Bison (American Buffalo), according to Merrick, as opposed to some that are actually Indian Buffalo (as in Calcutta not Native Americans). It's relatively low fiber. For my dog, if I feed him as much of some brands as he needs, it goes right through him because of the higher fiber content. Fiber has a turbo effect on dogs because of their shorter intestines. After switching to Merrick, I could increase his calories with no problem.

Merrick is a premium food, but not as expensive as some. And I think you would have to pay about 20% more to get the same protein content in a food with the same quality of ingredients. The Amazon price (currently 49.99 on 3/1/14) seems good to me. As good as I can get anywhere local - and with free (prime) shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrick Grain Free 25 Pound Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Dog Food, February 27, 2013
If you want less shedding and a great shiny coat on your dog, then this is the ticket. I bought one bag and my dog loved it but it was pretty expensive so I switched to another brand (well known) and within two weeks my dog's coat was dull and the shedding was intense. So I've switched back to the Merrick brand and in just that two weeks, we are back to minimal shedding and a glossy coat. My German Shepherd loves this stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality food, August 25, 2013
1) all made in USA, in Texas — OK!
2) no wheat or genetically modified corn — super!
3) dog likes it
4) his coat is in good shape

Yes, I would recommend this food and will buy again. My local pet store doesn't carry it, so Amazon to the rescue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrick Grain Free Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Dog Food, November 14, 2012
Rosemary Ham (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
The product was very good--my dog loves it. However, I will buy it locally next time, as it was almost $10 cheaper at a local pet supply store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Dog Food, February 13, 2014
Robo21 (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Dog food for our family is a continuous research project. I always try to make sure we have the best possible kibble for our Mastiffs. It works! Our big boy is solid as a rock and 251 lbs. Our puppy who gets the Merrick Buffalo, is 5 months old and 85 lbs. His coat is awesome, his stools are perfect and we are able to feed less of this highly nutritious food to achieve the desired caloric intake and completely satisfy his nutritional requirements.

The Dog Food Advisor Website rates this food 5 out 5 stars (there aren't that many 5 star foods available) and my older dog food grading system works out an A++ for this food based on a system where you add points for good ingredients and deduct points for bad ingredients. Whether you decide to try this food or not always avoid feed with any kind of byproducts or corn or corn meal.

We do supplement the dry food from time to time with cooked sweet potato, cooked pumpkin, or cooked poultry. However, the Merrick is so complete, we do this less than with other dry foods. Furthermore, the Merrick is so tasty that they do not require add ins to make the food more palatable as with many dry foods. In fact, they love this food so much we are able to use the kibbles as training treats. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dog food!, January 2, 2014
This is the best grain free dog food I have found. It is not that much more expensive than competitive brands and is actually a little less costly than others. I have a Cocker Spaniel who has very sensitive skin an ears. She constantly had yeast in her ears and on her skin. The patches on her skin were so bad we medicated her with whatever the vet prescribed. I used medicated shampoos as well. NOTHING worked until I removed her from 'regular' dog food (we fed her the high-end lamb and rice formula, salmon and rice, etc.).This dog food made a difference almost immediately. Her skin cleared up, her ears cleared up and we have had very little problem since. I no longer take her to the vet for her skin and I do not have to use special shampoo for her. She now only gets bathed when she visits the groomer! I was having to give her multiple bathes every week. She was just miserable. I have fed her the duck and steak variety too. She likes them all! I have switched my other two dogs (Bichon and Yorkie-Poo) to this food and they love it! GO GRAIN FREE!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best food for any dog, February 12, 2014
R. Crosby (Lakeville, MN United States) - See all my reviews
One of the best foods I've ever used and having bred, raised, and shown dogs over a period of 15+ years, I've had experience with numerous "premium" brands. As a grain-free formulation, it is much closer to what a canine in the wild would eat, thus being more available to a dog's digestive system. For a high energy, active dog like mine, this is a superior food. I did my research on Merrick and would highly recommend its products to anyone who wants to make sure his or her dog(s) gets the best nutrition available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini Dachshund loves Buffalo., August 13, 2013
Heidi (Saint Paul, MN) - See all my reviews
My dog loves this food. I went thru several other brands but my dog is a little picky about her dry food.
She's been eating this for about a year and still likes it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's in the "lick the plate clean" dog food category, October 19, 2012
According to research I did before selecting a kibble brand to accompany wet food for my 23# boston terrier, this is a good quality dog food that my dog likes. (I think she would inhale it if given the whereforall to do so.) I see quality dog food as either: good or bad and, if good, either "lick the plate clean" good or "better than nothing" good. My doggie puts this food in the "lick the plate clean" good category so what more can I say? (If looking to supplement online orders with local purchases, I recommend you check around to see how far the nearest Merrick Foods supplier is from your home as not all pet food stores carry it and I've yet to see it in any big box or grocery chains.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality Control and Customer Service, September 2, 2014
Knowingly selling faulty merchandise is a quality control issue, even if the problem wasn't the food itself. Merrick knowingly sells defective packaging and informed me that they won't be fixing the issue in the future. The last 3 bags that I've purchased had unusable torn interior seals on the bag and the glue was loose. When I contacted customer service they apologized for the inconvenience and said that they were hitting the stores with new packaging in the coming months for everything BUT the smaller bags. The new packaging would secure the back and maintain freshness.
Here's the kicker...
They are NOT changing the packaging on the smaller bags of food. It's faulty, it's unusable, yet they aren't going to fix it. The way I was told to fix the problem? Essentially, "Wait a few months, then start buying the larger bags". If you purchase a smaller bag then freshness doesn't matter? I can't post their response because it was made clear that the email was "confidential". Seriously...it's an email about dog food packaging? Oh, and for my troubles I was offered a link to their customer survey which, upon completion, offers up a %15 off coupon.
Merrick: "All about your dogs heath and well being..." unless you purchase a smaller bag.