4.0 out of 5 stars Usually great... but occasionally not-so-great
Published on December 4, 2010 by Mandy

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of rawhides...
Published 22 months ago by Kim Kieser

4.0 out of 5 stars Usually great... but occasionally not-so-great, December 4, 2010
Mandy (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
I have purchased three of these now, and the quality and types of treats in the bag is really all over the place. The first bag I bought had a great variety of really fantastic treats that my dogs went crazy for. Several big chunks of snout, a few bully sticks, TONS of cow tails, two halves of a huge twin hoofer, a little rawhide, and other bits and pieces. I felt that this bag was an incredible value given the wide variety of chews, and the specific chews included (some of which can be expensive when bought on their own), and my dogs loved everything, so I quickly ordered two more. I was much less impressed with the second two. The second bag I got was almost exclusively rawhide, with a few cow ears and a cow tail thrown in. Needless to say, I was not very happy with this bag, and my dogs weren't impressed either. I do realize that you always run the risk of getting disappointing results when you purchase any kind of grab bag, so I guess that's just how it goes. The third bag had a lot of rawhide again, and also included just a few tails, a couple of small bones, and a few pieces of snout. Not great, but not completely terrible.

All in all, I'd say these are worth a try, but just be aware that not every bag is a good one. Maybe if you could find these somewhere to buy in person so you could peek inside at the contents to make sure you're getting a good bag (part of the front of the bag is clear so you can see inside), it would be a much better buy, but buying online, it's very possible that you could end up with basically a bag full of rawhide and a few other bits and pieces. Then again, you could also end up with a bag with a great variety of fantastic chews, like I did the first time I ordered this. It's all up to chance.

Edit 03/01/11: I recently purchased two more of these, and these two were just like the first bag I got: big variety, all great chews that my dogs love, and a good value, since some of the chews included can expensive when purchased on their own. Because I've been extremely happy with three out of the five bags I've purchased, satisfied with another, and only disappointed by one, I've decided to give this product 4 stars instead of my origonal 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain mix of BIG treats!, January 12, 2011
This product is a bag of Merrick's "factory seconds", i.e. ugly dog treats! You'll get rawhide chips and chews with tears or ragged edges, beef tails that are too short or thin, and big, big cow hocks, complete with hooves. Dogs love them, and they're very high-quality treats that are made in Texas. As with all rawhide products, the treats are not suited for dogs who will chew off large pieces and gulp them down. But for methodical chewers of any size, these are an excellent value, and the Merrick brand is very trustworthy, based in the US, and as far as I know never subject to a food recall.

For reference, I have a chihuahua and a pomeranian, who are between 7 and 9 pounds. They can barely lift some of the cow hocks and hooves, but it doesn't seem to keep them from chewing them and enjoying them. I also gave a bag as a gift to my parents' 90-pound Lab/shepherd mix, and she enjoyed them as well.

Facts and figures: Rawhide pieces have been between 2x2" and 8x4", 1/4" to 1" thick. Beef tails are about 1/2" in diameter and from 2-8" long. Cow hocks are about a 4x4x4" cube.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Dogs Love These, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
Bought this value pack for my neighbors dog. She loves them. Merrick makes excellent products. I also had bought these before for my little Pug. These are big so I cut them and they were a treat for the Pug as well as the Yellow Lab.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome assortment, Never cheap stuff, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
You know how sometimes you buy a multi-pack of something and there's maybe one or two things that are worth "woohoo-ing" over? This is not like that. This is a house favorite. It's perfect for homes with different types of dogs; my Shepherd love the ears and my Chihuahuas love the "texas toothpicks." They all love the lung pieces. I never worry about toxicity in these treats; Merrick is awesome and made in the USA. The contents vary a bit from bag to bag but there's never any compromise on quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat these for the price., March 16, 2014
Michael (Monroe, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
With these Merrick treats, you never know what you're going to get. We have had split hooves, snouts, rawhide, some of everything. A few of the treats were on the small side, but our dog has loved everything that we've got from these.

You do need to understand that these are seconds - so don't expect a 12 inch bully stick or any other full sized, perfect treat. If you want 12 inch bully sticks or full-sized tendons, etc - buy them and pay the price. These treats are just what they're advertised to be, and at a much better price than anything comparable that I've found.

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of rawhides..., February 5, 2013
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
Disappointed with the variety, but the price was cheap. I could have had one of the less exciting bags, so I'm willing to give them a benefit of the doubt since I only ordered one. My bag had a lot of random shapes/sizes of rawhides, a hoof covered in rawhide, a knuckle bone covered in rawhide, and a few other bones with unidentifiable chewy type stuff on them. I usually try to avoid rawhides since they swell up in the dog's stomach and can cause digestion issues if fed to them too regularly, so the heavy use of rawhide was a negative for me... All of them smelled pretty funky too compared to your standard bone, rawhide, or bully stick. My dog didn't seem too impressed with most of them either. She ate them, but she sort of picked at it over the day in a sort of "I'm bored, I GUESS I'll try this thing... *munches for 5 minutes then puts it down for a while*" sort of way. She liked the non-rawhide ones fine though. I won't be getting another one due to the high rawhide content, but if you don't mind the stuff then it's one of the least expensive bulk chews around.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bag of treats that didn't quite make the cut at the factory, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
Our animals couldn't care less they go absolutely crazy over the stuff in this bag. The cats even got wind of what was in the bag and now they're hooked.

Keep your pet happy and buy yourself something nice and go with the treats that are a little "rough around the edges" your dog will never know the difference.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Quality Plummeted in Months, August 13, 2010
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
Last spring, I bought a bag at a chi-chi pet store of the pretentious name "Phydeaux," and was thrilled. It came with a few high quality treats, for long chewing and snacking. It had jerky, pig ears, a pork shoulder frame with some chitlins affixed, and even some bully sticks. I bought another bag last week as a special treat since we were moving to assuage my dawgs' nerves. Lo and behold, the bag was filled with only the most pedestrian snacks. No bully stick, no ears, no jerky. Just some puffy rawhide, like the dog version of getting puffed grain as a meager substitute for jasmine grain. The dogs are not interested in anything in the bag, whereas last time they went hizzy as soon as I reached in the general direction of the bag. Oh, well. Market players try to adjust things to where they are just of a high enough quality that we will pay a premium. Sometimes, like in this case, they go too far and lose a customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE!!, October 8, 2012
Lynda (North Hollywood, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
I have purchased this item from another vendor before, and the variety of the package was wonderful.
THIS package was all (except for maybe 3 or 4 items) the same!!! And the smell of the bag was terrible.
My dog turned away when I tried to give her one of the items (don't even know what it was).
VERY disappointed, and will never buy this item again!!
Now I'm stuck with an entire bag of nothing my dog will touch!

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BARGAIN FOR A BIG DOG OR A WOLF PACK OF MEDIUM AND SMALL DOGS!, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag (Misc.)
This is REAL treat bag for a large or medium size dog. Ace is my growing boy of 2 years old, weighing at 75lbs, German Shepherd. The chews I bought him in the past varied in length and time depending on how much he liked them or held his interest but in the end, he goes through them faster than what I had expected with my money going into those chew treats. Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack was the better investment since it gave a good variety of chews for half the price on different items I would buy individually or in packs at Petsmart, Petco or the local feed store.

I've ordered about 3 or so bags from Amazon and have been pretty lucky with the different sizes and types of treats for Ace. I've gotten pig tails, hoofs, rawhide, pig noses, and small chunks of lung pieces in the past and a few short or skinny strips of what I assume are bully sticks (which Ace goes mad for). Generally the pieces are a good size for large and medium size dogs in my opinion only because you sometime get large hoofs (they like half of a hoof with the bones and some tendons still on it inside) that I couldn't imagine a small dog going at it but I do get some really small morsel and bits of broken and dried jerky or tendons that I sometime save and give to my cousin's small dogs, Lola and Scout, a maltese/poodle and poodle/terrier.

So I'm rating this product 4 stars instead of 5 because 1.) It's a gamble of what you get inside sometime of course and 2.) some of the treats really SMELL strongly. I'm not too sure how they treat and process the treats but the large cow hoofs have always been the smelliest when I get them in a bag. After Ace goes at one for a little bit, his breath will smell strongly of it even after giving him some doggie breath mint treats.

SO FINALLY... If you have a medium or large dog that are big chewers, buy this. If you got a wolf pack going on with 2 or more dogs of different sizes, this could be great for them too. Don't forget to supervise your dogs with some of these treats too because depending on the treat and the way your dog gobbles, they might bite off more than they can chew.

Merrick Hungry Dog Value Pack, 2-Pound Bag, 1 Bag