5.0 out of 5 stars Quality in a can
My dogs will not eat it if it smells like "dog food"....this smells like Human food and they eat it without hesitation....Thank you!
Published on February 8, 2012 by Ellen

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! This product contains CANCER causing CARRAGEENAN!
Published 11 months ago by MH

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! This product contains CANCER causing CARRAGEENAN!, November 12, 2013
This review is from: Merrick Thanksgiving Day Dinner Dog Food 13.2 oz (12 Count Case) (Misc.)
WARNING! This product contains CARRAGEENAN, a thickening agent made from red seaweed that promotes TUMORS and CANCER in animals. The cans are also not BPA-free which can lead to health problems, as well. There's been quite a bit of research done on this ingredient(most if it ultimately advising pet owners to steer clear of it). The only studies that claim it's safe for pets are, of course, industry funded. Most canned pet food contains carrageenan, even the high end brands. Search online and you will find several petitions to remove it from the market because of its associated health risks. I no longer purchase foods with carrageenan (for either my dog or myself). I just hope the damage isn't irreversible.

It's upsetting and irritating that "premium" pet food manufacturers would sneak a cancer causing ingredient with no nutritional value to their unsuspecting customers. We buy their products because we believe them to be unquestionably safe and of the highest quality. We love our pets too much to take unnecessary health risks. Maybe they'll take notice and change their formulas when sales drop.

Some quality brands that are free of carrageenan are Nature's Variety Instinct, Weruva, Fromm, and Lotus. I have given my dog both Nature's Variety and Weruva and both are highly recommended (although, unfortunately, neither company uses BPA-free cans).

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality in a can, February 8, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog loves it and her tummy does too, July 8, 2012
My lab has always had a sensitive belly. I had tried other wet food after her puppy food and it always made her sick ( even easing her way into it). With this she is happy, she loves loves loves this food and it never had a back time with her belly. Love that it's human grade!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a finicky eater, January 3, 2008
My dog loves everything we've tried from Merrick. No GI upsets from anything we've tried so far, including several varieties of the canned food.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WINNER w/ my Miniature Poodles, June 5, 2013
Wow, I have never seen my 2 poodle puppies race to dinner before. I always feed them Merrick can food and have tried several flavors. This one is BY FAR the most fragrant of all I've tried and the one my puppies gobbled up the fastest. I will definitely buy it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cure For A Finicky Eater, December 30, 2012
Duffer. "Bo" (Conyers, GA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My Dobie, Max, is as picky an eater as a dog can be. I feed him dry dog food but always have to spruce it up a bit with some chicken broth or other enticement. After reading the reviews for this Merrick food I ordered a case and stacked the cans on a shelf for use when needed. Last night I had some brown gravy left over from my dinner and I put a couple of spoonfuls over his dry food. To my utter surprise he totally ignored his dinner and it was still untouched this morning. I took down a can of Merrick Thanksgiving Day Dinner and dumped it on top of his untouched meal. He got a whiff of the canned food and came over to do a sniff job while I was cleaning out the remnants from the bottom of the can. He ran over to his food bowl holder, as he usually does when he thinks hhe will get a goodie, and waited for me to bring his bowl of food. He inhaled the entire amount in a NY minute and licked the bowl clean.

This is my first experience with a Merrick product but, as I promised Max, it wont be my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more Caesar's!, April 30, 2007
Merricks is the best, not by products! No bones, wings, legs - food is so good even I WANT TO EAT IT!!!!!

I love amazon, they have almost everything. Tracking number included too. Expires 2010, my dogs will be wayyyy finished with the food by then. thanks amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars My dogs LOVE Merricks and I love my dogs..., October 23, 2009
Dandelion (santa monica) - See all my reviews
My dogs LOVE Merricks and I love my dogs...so I feed them Merricks. I think this is one of their favorite flavors, along with Grammy's Pot Pie and Smothered Comfort. You can see pieces of vegetables and meat in the food. Great product!

2.0 out of 5 stars 1/3 of the cans were too dented to use--this product does not ship well at all!, August 9, 2012
My dog eats Merrick food, and I thought it would be more convenient to start ordering it from Amazon in cases instead of hauling it home from the pet store every few days. Plus, it's a couple of dollars cheaper to buy it here versus at my neighborhood store. Unfortunately, though, the case of cans didn't survive shipping well at all--of the 12 cans, 4 were so severely dented that I don't think it's safe to feed their contents to my dog. I'm not talking about a little indentation at the rim, either--they were totally crunched and bent, completely trashed. I have no idea whether this was because the cans were too delicate, whether the Amazon box wasn't properly cushioned, or whether the package was abused in shipping, but I have noticed that even when I buy this brand at the pet store, I have to check really carefully to make sure that the cans are in good condition. Whatever the reason, this shouldn't happen, especially for a pricey brand like this--when cans get dented, it can let in air and bacteria that can spoil the food and make your dog sick. Given that 1/3 of what I bought was unusable, I ended up paying roughly $28 for 8 cans of dog food. That's way, way more expensive than supporting my local pet store. If these cans don't survive transport very well, it makes a lot more sense to me to buy them locally, when I can avoid the bad cans.

Shipping headaches aside, however, I do recommend the food itself. My dog is a picky eater, but she seems to enjoy Merrick products well enough. They are made of high quality ingredients, and even though she has a sensitive stomach, they don't give her any trouble. I just wish that they'd pack the stuff in a container that could survive the transport to my house!

5.0 out of 5 stars dog food, March 24, 2007
Baxie loves it, it looks so much like human food. Thank you