4.0 out of 5 stars Good start on quality, Great price!
Published on August 31, 2012 by T. Richesin

2.0 out of 5 stars Dented cans
I was looking for something different for my dog and thought I'd try Merrick. Just about every can was dented. It was like we got the rejects that couldn't be sold elsewhere. I know this has been an issue before and would have thought it was taken care of by now. Prices are rising, but quality is going down the tubes. Sad.
Published 23 months ago by Jenny Benny

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start on quality, Great price!, August 31, 2012
This review is from: Merrick Whole Earth Farms Adult Chunky Loaf Dog Food, 13.2 Ounce Can (12 Pack) (Misc.)
UPDATE 3/29/14: This brand of Merrick food has been reformulated and is no longer fulfilled by Amazon. Both the packaging and the formula have changed. As best I can tell, the ingredients are the same quality except they have removed the duck & buffalo and replaced it with turkey to bring the protein level higher. They also removed some questionable ingredients like carrageenan and tomato pumice. Overall, the new formula is a good one. I will buy it again when Amazon starts fulfilling with the new formula. Here is a link to the new equivalent & packaging: "Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Canned Adult Dog Food, Case of 12" For more information go here: www(dot)feedgoodness(dot)com/recipes/grain-free-adult-recipe-canned-dog-food/
---Original Review---
I have 3 terriers and one is an allergy dog. She's got both seasonal allergies and is sensitive to food ingredients. After years of treating the symptoms with drugs I started reading about how a "species appropriate" diet would help with her allergies. Dr. Becker's Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats: Simple Homemade Food I never knew by reading the label on dog food what was good or bad, now after learning about how dog food is made, what ingredients are most important and what I should avoid, I've started feeding "grain free" and as low a carbohydrate feed as I can find commercially. We must be careful that dog food isn't overrun by ingredients that have too many carbs like potatoes (sweet or otherwise) peas and grains. Dogs wouldn't get those in their natural diet unless in the stomach of prey. Be careful, when a food ingredient is listed on the label multiple times, the food is mostly that ingredient. So it could be all potato and not meat. Anyway... In an ideal world I would be cooking for my dogs, but I just don't have the time or the freezer space for that. After much research, trial and error, I've found Merrick's Whole Earth Farms Adult Chunky Loaf Dog Food, to have quality ingredients for a really decent price. While there's a slightly higher proportion of carbs from carrots, sweet potato and peas and a little less in protein, its a good place to start. My dogs love it, it smells good and I rotate this every other day with a higher quality feed Instinct Grain-Free Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food by Nature's Variety, 13.2-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12) to keep my costs down. This line of feed from Merrick is made with high quality ingredients and even though I leave kibble out all day, my pups dance around the bowl at dinner time to get this canned food. What's nice is that since they don't use grain or too many carbs, my dogs get good nutrition and their stool (yeah it gross but that's a factor in buying dog food) is more firm, small and less odoriferous. sometimes when changing food, you must introduce the new brand slowly so that their system can adjust. My allergy girl is doing well and I only have to treat seasonally when its really bad outside. If you'd like some help to determine if the food you buy is really good for your dog, I've found www(dot)DogFoodAdvisor(dot)com to be the best place for reviews of both wet and dry dog food. I may not agree with everything they say, but its a wonderful place to start. I know that your 4-legged friend will do well with this brand. The only reason it got 4 stars was that it needs a wee bit less in the carbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winner With My Dogs, July 21, 2012
Reign (Rock Springs, WY USA) - See all my reviews
One of my dogs has certain food allergies and therefore we have to be careful in what he eats. One dog is a Saluki and the other is a Westie. The ingredients look very wholesome and both dogs like it. I am impressed that Merrick came up with another line of dog food. Our dogs have been fans of their other products; we have tried their other wet and dry foods, as well as their treats. This one is more affordable for their everyday diet. My husband has given it thumbs up: doggy pate, but with not too much tartar. I am very pleased that we can get this through, Amazon along with free shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good food, April 2, 2012
Food looks good, and it is high quality with a good price. It does seem to be upsetting my dog's stomach, so I probably won't reorder. But he doesn't tolerate all foods well. For other dogs it should be great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dented cans, January 27, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, December 25, 2013
I use 1/4 a can per meal for my two dogs. They love the whole earth farms dry food and I wanted to add a little flavor to their food and this did the trick. The first time I gave it to my boy he got it all over his face trying to get to the bowl as I was spooning it in. It is getting harder to find the dry food so I suppose I will be trading up for a different dry food soon, but this wet stuff I hope still sells on amazon because its a great deal.

Update: the whole earth farms dry food is changing up.I got a response from them in regards to Petco not selling the dry food anymore and this is what they wrote. "No, in fact you'll be happy to learn that Whole Earth Farms is expanding. Look for our new refreshed packaging; recipe enhancements to our dry food including Adult Recipe; and all grain-free canned items, including our new Hearty Stews, by mid-January. It's rolling out to stores soon.

In the meantime, if you are out of food we'd be happy to try and find you and your pup some. Simply contact our friendly pet parent relations team 1-800-664-7387 and they'll be happy to help."

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, with caveat, December 13, 2013
Verdict: overall descent quality dog food! My 3 year old GSD has little interest in food, is a finicky eater, and rarely eats all of his food in one sitting. When I mixed this in with his Blue Buffalo kibble, he DESTROYED the bowl and was looking around for more. Anything that improves his appetite is a win in my book. I've spent a good amount of time researching dog food and this seems to be the best quality and value in this price range.

Note: this food, along with most other canned dog food, contains Carrageenan, which has been noted to cause inflamation of tissues (chronic inflamation being a root cause of most serious diseases). I believe being a responsible owner means carefully selecting what they eat because dogs cannot do this for themselves. The FDA has cleared carrageenan from being used as a food additive for human consumption, including in infant formula. Until this changes, I will continue to give him Merrick food mixed with his Blue Buffalo kibble. I would like to see the manufacturer, however, drop carrageenan from its ingredients. You claim to be a natural product--put your money where your mouth is!

Shipping: I ordered 2 12-can packages. All of the cans were in perfect retail condition from shipping and were packaged well with cushion mailers and inside a cardboard box. Package arrived on-schedule.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dogs LOVE This!, February 15, 2013
I have 6 rescues and normally they are all quite picky, however when I served them this dog food, I'm very happy that this product is grain free!

3.0 out of 5 stars Made my dog sick, October 13, 2012
I buy the Merrick Whole Farms dry food and my dog loves it, so I thought I'd try their canned food. Seems to have quality ingredients at a great price. Unfortunately the first time I gave it to her she vomited right away. I then mixed it with brown rice and she was fine for a few days. Then I gave it too her alone again and it gave her diarrhea. Hate to be gross but she can handle only a little at a time of this canned food, don't know why. I was giving her Eagle Pack canned and never had a problem at all so I'm going back to it. I will keep feeding her the Whole Earth Farms dry food because she likes it but now the price has doubled - used to be $8.69, which I thought was a bit cheap anyway, but the doubling for the same size was a bit of a surprise.

2.0 out of 5 stars I think it made 2 of my dogs sick!!!, August 14, 2013
I've ordered Merrick a couple times before with no problems. With this last order I think every can was dented and I'm pretty sure it gave 2 of my dogs diarrhea. Took them to the vet and one had an overgrowth of a bacteria in her stool. Not 100% sure it was the food, but I with held the canned Merrick and tried it again, sure enough more diarrhea. Called the company and there hadn't been any recalls. Now I'm just a little apprehensive to feed my dogs this food so I will be looking for a new canned dog food.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs love it, but many crushed cans during shipping, July 2, 2013
I have this ordered on a monthly renewal and so far have received 4 cases.
Three of the four cases, 12 cans per case, had many crushed cans and the one I received today had 2 cans that were crushed enough to have the top open on them.
The handling should be better. I am going to go back to Canidae if the next auto-renewal delivery has crushed cans.
The food quality is excellent, fresh vegetables, the dogs love it. I just wish the cans weren't getting damaged during shipping.