5.0 out of 5 stars God bless you, Andy Williams!
Published on July 10, 2005 by CAM

3.0 out of 5 stars Lazy Mastering
C'mon Sony! Put at least a little effort into your Christmas reissues! I own this and Andy's other Christmas album, as well as Tony Bennett's Sony Christmas album, and they did the same thing to all three - They sapped the life out of the recordings by filtering out the highest frequencies to reduce the tape hiss. They could have reduced the hiss by utilizing other...
Published on January 22, 2007 by D. Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars God bless you, Andy Williams!, July 10, 2005
CAM (South Windsor, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
At Christmas I played this vinyl LP in the dining room of my family home over and over again. This is my favorite album of all time. My favorite song is the haunting "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music--what a treasure! No one does the Christmas carols/songs like Andy Williams. Christmas would not be the same without him. His high baritone voice brings all these songs to life and adds a special warmth to the holidays. So many memories were rekindled when these updated versions were released. All you have to add are snowflakes. God bless you Andy Wiliams and Merry Christmas to all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, Ever....Merry Christmas!! : ), December 8, 2006
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Not only is Andy Williams "Merry Christmas" album my favorite of all time in sheer nostalgia value,, it's also simply the best Christmas music ever made, in my humble opinion.

On a nostalgia scale, it is off the charts. My very first Christmas memory ever as a wee tyke was listening to this album while decorating the Christmas tree with my big brother and sister. I was about 3 years old. Every year we would get this out at Christmastime, and as a child my heart would beat with excitement almost beyond bearing, because it meant one thing: CHRISTMAS WAS HERE!!!

Today, when I get out this CD and share it with my own 3 kids -- I can see the same joy in their eyes. When the first strains of "Jing-a-ling, jing-jing-aling....just hear those sleigh bells ringin'..." ring out for the first time each season, I get a lump in my throat. Partially from sweet family memories (and new ones in the making), partially from the sheer Christmas cheer it brings.

I think I read once that Europeans refer to Williams as the "Emperor of Smooth", and that is quite an apt description. His smooth, gorgeous voice brings a powerful emotion to every Christmas song, joyous or deeply spiritual; his happiness is clearly evident with each verse he sings -- it is simply heart-warming to hear.

Well, I could go on and on....but I have certainly made my point. If I could recommend only one Christmas album, or if I had to contain myself to only one for the rest of my life (you see, I adore Christmas music!), it would be without a doubt Andy Williams "Merry Christmas". Over 30 years of listening, and I have never, ever gotten tired of it. It is timeless.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Christmas Album Ever to Grace The Ear of Mankin, December 8, 2004
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe help to

make the season bright, but the thing that makes my

season bright is arguably the greatest compilation of

holiday music to ever grace the human ear.

It is The Andy Williams Christmas Album. It's the

most wonderful music for the most wonderful time of

the year. Hands-down. No questions asked.

What makes this collection of festive melodic

delights so special? Where do I start? Perhaps the

most logical point would be with the man himself, Andy

Williams.

Williams' voice is dripping with holiday spirit on

this album, and that by Jove that spirit is

contagious. If Santa Claus was to hire a lounge

singer, it would without a doubt be Williams. His

rendition of "O Holy Night" is honestly spectacular.

After 16 Christmases, I still get the chills hearing

it. When Williams hits the highs on the word "divine",

I feel as though I have heard the voice of an angel,

who is coincidentally singing "O Holy Night" while

giving me a back rub.

The album came to life 40 years ago as the lovechild

of Williams, Producer Robert Mersey, and Columbia

Records. The music has been a mainstay come Christmas

time in my family, and as a young lad I quickly

learned to appreciate the man behind what came to be

known as the Samataro Soundtrack of Christmas.

Let us delve into the splendor of the recording. The

release itself is a perfect balance of fun and upbeat

ditties like "Happy Holiday/ The Holiday Season" ,

sacred Christmas hymns such as "Away in a Manger",

tender treasures including "The Christmas Song

(Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)", and even a few

tunes with a Williams spin on them. "The Twelve Days

of Christmas" have transformed into "A Song and a

Christmas Tree", an updated (well, circa 1963, anyway)

version of the holiday gem, highlighting, for

instance, "two candy canes" in place of "two turtle

doves".

Nary a December has the voice of Williams been absent

from the house I call home. It is worth noting that

the year I lost the Andy Williams cassette tape

Decemeber became one of the worst months of my entire

life. It's just not the same without Andy. He becomes

a part of you, an annual twelfth-month tradition that

when not celebrated leaves a void the size of

post-Christmas dinner Anna Nicole-Smith in your life.

Simply astonishing.

I consider myself a case-study. For as long as I can

remember, I have listened to The Christmas Album each

December. And every December, heartwarming television

specials try to remind me of their true meanings of

Christmas, haberdashery that includes such quotables

as "it is better to give than to receive", and "make

this holiday picture-perfect, digital camera only

$59.99 (only at Macy's)!". No, friends, none of these

adages have taught me anything. Only one man has done

that.

Andy Williams has made me realize the true meaning of

Christmas. The evidence is incontrovertible. The

meaning of Christmas lies in festivity, tradition, and

12 glorious selections of music that seem to have been

written by God Himself. No, friends, the bestowment of

The Andy Williams Christmas Album is no act of

God---but it is a miracle. Miraculous, because in

essence, it is the perhaps greatest compilation of

music ever to grace the human ear. And that's just not

the egg nog talking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Christmas Music, November 25, 2010
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
When I was a kid, there were three particular things I looked forward to every Christmas (besides the tree, presents and Santa, I mean): 1) the annual TV showing of Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, 2) the annual TV showing of A Charlie Brown Christmas, and 3) Andy Williams Christmas music. My first exposure to the latter was this album right here, Merry Christmas - Andy Williams.

Even at such an early age, I was already aware of the genuine warmth and sincerity of his voice. To me, his marvelous singing of such songs as Sleigh Ride and Silver Bells officially heralded in Christmas.

Robert Mersey's wonderful arrangements were just the right accompaniment for Andy. They were a perfect match and each seemed to bring out the best in each other. Just listen to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas or Some Children See Him. These particular numbers bring chills to my spine, they're that good.

As the years passed, I would soon be exposed to the Christmas music of Andy's contemporaries such as Nat Cole, Perry Como, Johnny Mathis and Tony Bennett. I would also discover the earlier and even better Andy Williams Christmas Album. I love them all, but this one will always remain in a special place reserved for those unforgettable childhood memories of Christmases past.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, January 31, 2008
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This may not truly be the best Christmas album ever, but this one of all the others means Christmas to me. It has some songs that are not typically Christmas songs, but that means they are not ones you hear over and over again--such as Little Altar Boy, The Bells of St. Mary's, and Mary's Little Boy Child. But my all-time fave is Some Children See Him--this is truly a song about tolerance, love and understanding that made a deep impression on me as a child about acceptance and the possibility that religion doesn't have to be rigid. Pretty deep for Andy Williams, huh?

I tried to find a CD or even tape of this album back in the 90' when Williams started up in Branson. No such luck. Tears literally came to my eyes when I found this was available, and I played and sang along over and over again. This made my holiday. I bought copies to give to my mom and sister. I also got the red Christmas Album, but don't like that as well, only because it wasn't part of our Christmas tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Andy Williams Christmas Album, October 11, 2009
rodney "christmas man" (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This christmas album, from 1965, is my favorite ANDY WILLIAMS christmas album. I like the 'red' one, THE ANDY WILLAIMS CHRISTMAS ALBUM, too, but this 'green' one, MERRY CHRISTMAS, has a little more christmas spark in it for me which doesn't really make sense with how christmasy the 'red' one is (seriously, though, you should get both since they are christmas classics in the easy listening/crooner style and as at least one other reviewer mentioned, both albums flow nicely from one to the other so that if you like one, you'll probably like the other as their styles are very similar).

A great orchestra and chorus back ANDY WILLIAMS on the songs here making great to even classic versions of songs such as WINTER WONDERLAND (one of my favorite versions ever), LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW (another one of my favorite versions ever), HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS, SLEIGHRIDE, and a fabulous new song, CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, that I'm surprised didn't become a christmas standard as ANDY's actual christmas standard came to be just that (from the 1963 red album, IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR). CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY is a very upbeat and fun song that deals out the 'christmas mood' as much as any christmas standard.

Another song to mention is MARY'S BOY CHILD that is very beautiful and moving. Also, MY FAVORITE THINGS is done ezxcellent here.

If you like the old 'crooner' christmas music of yesteryear (1950's - 1960's) and probably that if you like the christmas albums of JOHNNY MATHIS and JACK JONES, this is a definite must have, at least as far as I'm concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic Christmas Album, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
For anyone who wants traditional great Christmas CD, this is worth putting into your collection. Andy Williams voice helps set a very 'christmasy' mood around the home. This is an album that I grew up with as my mom played this album every Christmas season. Of course, the Andy Williams Christmas Special was also looked forward to each year. (Remember the bear that would knock on the door and eat all of the cookies?)

The songs are not all Christmas carols (for example 'A Few of My Favorite Things' from The Sound of Music), but still seem to be done in a way that sets a great holiday tone. I was really surprised that my kids liked the CD also and would request that I played it whenever we were driving during the Christmas season. I plan on picking up another one of Andy Williams Christmas CDs for next year (I think I saw that he has four altogether.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, truly special, and a definite ageless classic!, December 10, 2014
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
It'll be the most wonderful time of the year for you anytime you play this timeless Christmas album. It'll put you in the holiday mood, from merry to spiritual to nostalgic, and you simply can't go wrong. Get it and love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistency and warmth are the hallmarks of this Christmas collection, November 25, 2014
Ricardo Mio (New Jersey, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Once upon a time, Andy Williams was Mr. Christmas to millions of Americans who tuned in weekly to his television variety show. "Merry Christmas" was his second Christmas Album that, to my mind, was his best. No gimmicks, no novelty tunes; twelve carefully selected Christmas standards sung with heart by the consummate professional at the top of his game. "Sleigh Ride," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "Silver Bells," and "Do You Hear What I Hear?" are among the standouts, with a few lesser known tunes thrown in for variety, such as "Christmas Holiday" and "The Bells of St. Mary's." Consistency is the operative term for this Christmas CD, coupled with the warmth of chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Feliz Navidad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a Wonderful Christmas Musical Experience!, October 30, 2008
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
I originally purchased this many years ago on tape and have recently upgraded to CD because it is one of my all-time favorites, sung by one of my favorite artists. I had the opportunity to see Andy live this past Holiday (2007) and his voice hasn't suffered with age at all. Many of these songs were performed that night to thunderous ovations.

Although there isn't a bad selection here, some of my personal favorites included are: "Some Children See Him", "Mary's Boy Child, "Silver Bells", & "The Bells of St. Mary's".

To me and my family it just wouldn't be Christmas without listening to an Andy Williams Christmas album. Highly recommended!

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas by Andy Williams (Audio CD - 2004)