5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but functional
Published on June 1, 2012 by A. Mansfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not terrible...
Published 12 months ago by S.B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but functional, June 1, 2012
This review is from: MeshWe Bluefin Seamlessly Connects Magic Trackpad to Apple Wireless Keyboard (apple white) (Personal Computers)
I originally purchased another of these keyboard/trackpad trays that had a button that was supposed to operate the power on the keyboard. However, when the keyboard was installed in it, that button would hit it constantly while I was typing, turning off my keyboard every few minutes. Very frustrating. So I started looking for an alternative, and found this one. It was a little more expensive, but I figured it was worth it if it would work better.

I've had it for one entire day now, and it's perfect. No more having to re-pair my keyboard every five minutes, and being able to choose which side to install the trackpad is nice too. For someone who plays a lot of media on their computer while not always at their desk, this is a nice solution.

Only con I've found: It is a challenge getting the keyboard and trackpad back OUT of the thing once they're in. It holds them very snugly. This is fine if you're going to be leaving them in the tray, but if you for some reason need to remove them frequently, it might be a bit of a hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Armchair surfers dream come true!, April 28, 2012
EasyStreamer88 (Somewhere out there) - See all my reviews
I purchased this along with an Apple wireless keyboard to use with my Magic Track Pad. I loved my track pad but after making a lifestyle change from a brick and mortar home to fulltiming in an Airstream I found I only used my track pad from the couch. This presented a problem because the Apple wireless track pad needs to be on a hard surface to "click".

Enter the MeshWe Bluefin. At just under $40 shipped it seemed a bit expensive but you are paying for more than a piece of plastic. What you are paying for is a brilliant solution to a pesky problem. The Bluefin allows you to click your Apple track pad on any surface, including your lap or even the back of a couch and the fact that it ties the track pad and an Apple wireless keyboard together into one neat package is the icing on the cake.

About the only thing I can see that could potentially be called a downside is the fact that it nearly doubles the thickness of the Apple keyboard and track pad. For me this is not an issue and even with the Bluefin the Apple keyboard is still incredibly slim. I love this product. It is a genius idea yet so simple, and... your keyboard and track pad are easily removed for battery changes.

I highly recommend this product to anyone using a computer as an entertainment center as I do or for anyone who uses their computer away from a desk. It would even be a great addition to a desk since it makes your track pad and keyboard one neat, compact package. To top it all off it is made in America! How often do you get to buy quality American made computer products??? Buy one, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, just what I needed!, April 26, 2012
It's very solid... and the keyboard and mouse clip in tight and secure.

Really make surfing my HTPC from the couch enjoyable, and I CAN CLICK THE TRACKPAD NOW even on soft surfaces! It was worth it for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better now..., June 26, 2012
I've outlived three Apple wireless keyboards now, but just recently started using the MagicTrackPad. My problem was my typing was getting bad because I'd lose track of where the keyboard was under my hands. I thought a tray that kept them together might help.

Turns out that was a lucky gamble. After two weeks with the thing, I feel I can review the MeshWe Bluefin positively. First, it fits both the trackpad and keyboard perfectly and my typing is back up to my old 72 wpm. I have a glass-top desk and the Bluefin has long rubbery pads that keep it from moving accidentally yet easily slide when I need it to.

I read a complaint that the trackpad doesn't click. That not a problem as there is plenty of room to separate the keyboard and trackpad enough that the keyboard doesn't interfere with the trackpad's click motion. Just nudge either over a hair and you're golden. By the way, if that reviewer would have contacted MeshWe's support, they would have found a pleasant and fast experience. USPS somehow delayed my shipment but MeshWe was right on it and promised to make it right. And they did (in an over-the-top sort of way).

Also, I use Plex for the 15' experience with watching media on my computer. The Bluefin has made that much less of a hassle. Navigating my shows used to be like "pick up the keyboard, put it down, pick up the track pad, put it down, pick up the keyboard again" but now I can hold both with one hand and use both with the other. Waaaay easier.

All in all, I'm really glad to have this item.

PS I have the Apple White version and it looks great, the white exactly matches the white of the keys.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not terrible..., November 18, 2013
S.B. (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I am an armchair Wacom Cintiq user, (specifically the Cintiq 20WSX, mounted to an Ergotron articulating arm), and like a lot of other people writing reviews here, I wanted a product that A) joined my Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad into one unit, and B) allowed me to use the Magic Trackpad on my lap. While this product does fulfill both requirements, there are definite compromises that must be made over the experience one would have when using the trackpad (properly) on a desk without the tray. I feel many of the reviews here more or less gloss over some of these issues, so I wanted to address them myself.

Physically, this is a well made product, and the quality of the plastic is also very good and very thick. While I thought the price was a little high, I admired the fact that the tray was U.S. designed and manufactured, and once I had the product in hand I felt good about the money spent. The tray, however, *is* heavy, and once the keyboard and trackpad are snapped in, it weighs a TON. This isn't a big deal in use, but it decidedly makes your featherweight Apple devices feel like anything but during handling. Casual tosses onto your ottoman may result in a casual clattering onto the floor in turn. Oh well.

My disappointment with this tray centers on the fact that the Magic Trackpad simply does NOT have the same firm, satisfying "click" once installed in the tray as it does resting "naked" on a desk. Part of the problem is the fact that the tray has divots for the "feet" of the keyboard and trackpad to nest in. While it doesn't create any issues for the keyboard, it does seem to effectively double the amount of travel required for the trackpad to "click." These divots are positioned so that the tray can accommodate the trackpad being either to the left or right of the keyboard. The ideal solution (for the end user) would be a tray specific to one configuration or the other. While the production of two different versions would likely drive the cost up for this sort of tray, the end product would likely provide a superior experience.

Another contributing factor to the "mushiness" is that the keyboard and trackpad often rub each other while in use, which in turn dampens the motion of the pad and its "click." The tray does come with (rather lovely) clear vinyl "stickers" that one may place over the stainless steel power buttons of the Apple devices to maintain a suitable amount of distance between the two, but it only helps so much. I got into the habit of slipping a fingernail in between the two and nudging the trackpad over a hair every time I needed to "click" the pad. Having to do this constantly gets to be a drag, I have to say.

My eventual solution to the above issues was to fold two small strips of paper into a couple of squares, the thickness such that they might "fill" the divots. I secured the squares with double-sided tape over the divots beneath the trackpad. The stickiness of the tape is sufficient to keep the trackpad from migrating while in use, keeping it generally separated from the keyboard.

Overall, my feelings about this product are mixed. While I don't regret my purchase, and do feel that it is a useful product, it definitely affects the "click" of trackpad for the worse, and that is unfortunate. While I suspect that the "snap-in" design of the tray also contributes a bit to the mushy "clicks," this is, perhaps, to be expected. If this tray were offered in one version for righties and one for lefties, however, it could go a long way towards improving the experience of the end user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable time saving and very useful product!, March 22, 2012
I started looking for some type of tray for my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad as soon as I realized how hard it is to sit back and use both the keyboard and trackpad remotely. Many people had suggested using duck tape and securing the two together, but this solution only works when you have the keyboard/trackpad sitting on a stable surface. Also, why would you want to jury rig these nice aluminum pieces together when there are better solutions out there? Now I can sit back away from the computer and still access what I want to without having to sit hunched over the desk. The tray is very lightweight and constructed of a durable plastic. Installation was simple and there is no interference to the trackpad like a competitor product. Once the tray is installed it is hardly noticeable. The keyboard and trackpad sit flush side by side and are very securely fastened.

I would also like to note that MeshWe's customer service is very responsive and communicative. I sent an email due to an issue with shipping & handling and received a reply the same day and my issue was taken care of immediately. More companies need to be responsive like this to their customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is must have for my setup, April 23, 2014
I love this product. I had been using a MacBook Pro for several years before I purchased an iMac. I couldn't imagine using a Mac computer without the TrackPad, but my immediate concern was keeping the keyboard and TrackPad in order on my desk. I sought out a solution and stumbled across this product and a couple competing products. I purchased this one based on reviews and functionality. Overall, I am very pleased with it, and wouldn't want to do without it for my current setup. I primarily keep it on my desk, but have at times used it on my lap for general web surfing (it's nice to have the ability to remove it from your desk and still use it if the mood strikes). Some people even use this setup to control a Mac Mini or other computer that they use as a media server on their TV - it would work well in that role.

Downsides - not many. The fit is a little snug, but I haven't have any problems with functionality. The only time I need to remove anything is when I need to change the batteries on the TrackPad (I use the TrackPad on the right side). You can easily access and change the batteries for whichever item you place on the left of the setup.

The company includes padded stickers for turning the keyboard and TrackPad on and off - this is a very nice solution. You place a padded sticker (included) on the power button for the Keyboard and/or TrackPad, then place the items in the holder. There is a small gap between the Keyboard and TrackPad, but almost unnoticeable. The pad on the power button makes it easy to cycle the item on the left on and off without having to remove the item on the right.

For example, I have my keyboard on the left side of the setup. When I changed the batteries, all I had to do is remove/replace the batteries, replace the cover, then press the edge of the Trackpad until the Keyboard turns on. Not having to remove the TrackPad every time I need to turn the keyboard on and off is a nice convenience.

This is highly recommended for anyone who has a wireless Apple keyboard and TrackPad (from what I gather this only works with the OEM parts, and not with keyboards and TrackPads that are compatible, but made by other companies - if you have something else, you may wish to look into other solutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful for Home Slouchers, January 31, 2012
Fantastic product. I do a lot of graphics, chart and data manipulation from my couch (that's where I think best), and MeshWe has been a serious boon for that very practice. It's a well-rendered, simple and elegant solution. Thanks much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect wireless keyboard and trackpad management, June 5, 2012
I have two computers at my desk and shuffling the keyboards and trackpads around has been a problem. I looked at a few other solutions (e.g. Twelve South's MagicWand) for connecting the keyboard and mouse and found this to be the best option due to it being a full tray, fully supporting the devices.

The fit is snug, so it makes replacing batteries a little more work, but it's not a hassle.

I don't use this on my lap, as some do with HTPCs, but I can see how it would work very well for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, functional and product is made locally, September 11, 2012
I was looking for a solution to use the keyboard and the trackpad to control my HTPC. Bluefin has a simple design and provides firm background to use the trackpad on almost any surface. Access to power button is a bit cumbersome, but I have not noticed any significant increase in battery usage after using Bluefin. As the keyboard and the trackpad fit snugly into the Bluefin, it might be a bit of a hassle to get them out. Otherwise, the product delivers what it promises without adding too much weight.