5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, just underappreciated.
Published on January 11, 2000 by Elizabeth Suzanne

3.0 out of 5 stars The tragedy of over production!
I've been a Edwin Mccain since Honor Among Thieves. It was pretty stripped down. Great vocals, tight rhythm section, and Scott the Bass Player acting as the color instrument. It needed a tad more to take it up a notch. Misguided Roses was dead on with the help of Kenny Greenberg and Matt Rollings. Just enough to not overpower McCains vocals and not get in the way of...
Published on June 25, 1999 by masonblu@home.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, just underappreciated., January 11, 2000
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
I'll be honest, I only bought this CD because I am inlove with I Could Not Ask For More. But it's not even the best song on the CD. I can't believe how underappreciated Edwin McCain is. Words cannot express how lovely some of his songs are. I've taken to leaving the CD on while I go to sleep. Edwin McCain has a perfectly melofluous voice. Some songs(like Beautiful Life) are depressingly beautiful. Others(like Go Be Young) are just beautifully uplifting. He is a very inspiring singer. I can't wait to get his next album. Basically my point is BUY THE CD! If you like Sarah McLachlain(I hope I spelled that right), and Jewel, you will LOVE Edwin McCain. Have fun. And enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, November 26, 1999
Leigh Anne (Bloomington, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
I loved this CD from start to finish. I bought it for "And I Could Not Ask For More" and enjoyed every track on it. I love to listen to it on long trips in the car, you don't have to flip through the tracks for the "good ones", but can listen to the whole thing and enjoy it all. He's got such emotion in his voice. You'll love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful CD, just to enjoy!, November 10, 1999
Jon Oneall (Cedar Falls, Iowa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
What!s wrong with having a CD that you can truly enjoy listening to! I find it refreshing to buy a CD and really enjoy every song. Say what you will this is a very enjoyable, well written, CD, one that I consider to be a favorite. There is a lot of emotion in many of the songs, taking you from hope to sadness and back again. Great Cd!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing! Written from deep within the soul..., November 6, 1999
By A Customer
I have just recently come to know Edwin McCain. I fell in love with his music the minute I heard his single "I'll Be" and he has fascinated me since. Everyone I know either has the CD or is ready to get it the minute they hear it. I played it for a friend of mine and by the end of the night he was ready to run out and by it! Edwin McCain reaches deep within and writes purely from the heart...he takes his own views and experiences and eloquently transforms them into a heart-felt song. He also is blessed with the good fortune of having a few fantastic musicians to accompany him. They really help bring out the emotion and have proven to have no limits! I am ready for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Talent is Revealed on "Messenger", April 4, 2000
Jim Dempsey (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
Here is a man with a lot of talents. Edwin McCain: songwriter, balladeer, rocker, and passionate singer.
McCain gives us songs of hope, trust, encouragement, and love, and remits them with true, heartfelt feeling.
Some of the high moments on this album are Diane Warren's absolutely wonderful "I Could Not Ask For More" and Edwin's "Go Be Young." The accoustic version of his earlier hit "I'll Be" is the best and blows the "Misguided Roses" version to smithereens. This album is for the music lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid release from one of the least appreciated talents, August 26, 1999
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Edwin's music soon after his first release. I fell in love with his powerful voice & his solid songwriting abilities. "Honor Among Thieves" is one of my all-time favorites. I then saw him play (w/Jewel) in a 400 seat auditorium. Great concert.
When his second album ("Misguided Roses", another great album) came out, I was a little taken aback by the stronger sound, but I soon came to appreciate what the guitar added to the band and their sound. "I'll Be" started catching on (the lame radio version, not the vastly superior album version) & I caught his awesome show at the Chicago House of Blues.
The impression that I got from the first two albums was that his songs (& looks) were off just enough to keep the rest of his (better) material off the air. Between the two, there is at least 6-8 songs better than anything playing today.
This must have affected his songwriting (& production) of his new album. I still think he has some great songs on this album ("Promise Of You", "Ghosts Of Jackson Square", "Prayer To St. Peter", "Go Be Young", "See Of This Mountain"), but too much of this album has been designed to make it radio-friendly. Atlantic should have the guts to put his best stuff out on the radio & let it succeed on its own merits. Just let the boy sing; you won't be disappointed.
I still love the album, despite its many faults &, again, think it beats out anything out on radio today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A BEST EVER, August 29, 2005
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
This is simply one of my top 20 favorite CD's of all-time. I'm 40 years old, and have heard a lot of 'albums' and trust me, this one is right in there.

If you like Edwin at all, you will love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT CD!!!!!, August 9, 1999
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
i love this music, i normally listen to 90% contemporary christian music, heard the song "i could not ask for more" when my daughter was switching stations and fell in love with it. i bought the cd not knowing anything about edwin mccain band and was very surprised to find that i love the entire cd. my favorites are "i could not ask for more", "promise of you", and "prayer to st. peter", that is a very special song to me cause my dad was in ww2. i also love "anything good about me." this is a great cd and i have hardly listened to anything else since getting it a couple of weeks ago. i am going to the the previous cd's from edwin mccain also. he has a wonderful, soulful voice and i really have enjoyed listening to this music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must listen...., January 1, 2000
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
In a time where the "hot" groups are people like the Backstreet Boys, Edwin McCain is a breath of fresh air! His songs contain some of the most beautiful, powerful lyrics I've ever heard. I think this is an album that the "older" generation can listen to as well. I did buy the cd for "I could not ask for more" which was the song for my wedding. It just explained everything my husband and I felt about each other. He's done it again - and I could not ask for more.............this guy has got it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, November 7, 2000
This review is from: Messenger [ENHANCED CD] (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my husband. I love 'Could not ask for more', great lyrics and emotion. My husband had never heard of him and now he's hooked too. It's my first McCain CD, can't wait to get the earlier ones.

Messenger [ENHANCED CD]
Messenger [ENHANCED CD] by Edwin McCain (Audio CD - 1999)
Click for more info
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.