Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 40 Metal Collar Stays in a Clear Plastic Box - 5 Sizes
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 14, 2011
This item is amongst the best values you can give your wardrobe for under $20 (along with a Tide stick pen, a pocket square or a simple tie bar).

Unfortunately, many of the shirts I purchase come paired with those flimsy plastic collar stays. Select bespoke shirt makers still issue metal collar stays and that is how I learned that I need not use the plastic ones that are standard issue.

The metal collar stays reviewed here do just the trick. They come in 4 different sizes (all of varying lengths, but all in the same width and thickness). Both ends are nicely rounded so as to avoid puncturing the pointed end of your shirt. For the same reason you don't want to run any collar stay through the wash or dry cleaner, I've made it a habit to remove them each evening (i.e., dont want to leave an imprint of the collar stay on the shirt).

I've found that the torsional rigidity of the collar stays is sufficient to use one as an impromptu screwdriver.

Finally, to those who are considering the Werkin' Stiffs collar stays - save your money and invest in the tiny magnets only -- these stays work with the little magnets so you can position your collar as you wish.

*I am not authorized to make any representations on behalf of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), so I dont know it they're really "TSA Approved" (does the TSA even approve collar stays?) The point of my subject line is to convey the message that these collar stays will not set off the metal detectors at the airport.
99 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2012
As soon as you find the plastic stays in your shirts throw them away and order these. They have multiple lengths and being steel, have enough weight to keep your collar under control. Like the button down look? Snag some Magcraft NSN0566 1/8-Inch by 1/16-Inch Rare Earth Disc Magnets, 100-Count and snap them inside your collar. They're not going to wear out so unless you lose them, you'll never have to replace them.
on January 13, 2012
This is great little box of metal collar stays. The stays are sturdy (they do bend with some force, though) and there are enough that I don't have to worry about losing a couple or leaving sets in a couple of my shirts. I paired these with 10 Neodymium Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48 and the two products work perfectly to keep my non-button-down collars perfectly in place.
on February 15, 2012
These collar stays are "okay". The longest size is too long for any shirt I own, but maybe if you have a lot of 70s clothing they would be useful. I would prefer a set that left out the long size, in favor of including more of the smallest size (which fits many of my shirts).
on January 24, 2012
Not much more to say here than what's been written above, but I'll reiterate how sturdy and attractive these are. When I'm wearing my collar open I use the trick of putting a small-ish rare earth magnet inside the shirt to hold this collar stay flat against the shirt. Looks great and holds well. All in all I'm delighted with the purchase and will never use cheap plastic collar stays again.
on January 5, 2012
Very nice product! Bought some after seeing them at fancy men's stores. Boy are they so much cheaper online!

With this little plastic box you get a lifetime supply worth. The plastic container is pretty worthless, mine arrived cracked, but the metal shirt stays are very nice. I ended up giving quite a few of my extras away as gifts, especially people I see with curly bacon on a dialy basis.

Make sure to take them out before the wash.
on March 11, 2011
I was getting tired off having my plastic collar stays bend when in my collar. I needed a collar stay that wouldn't bend as easily, these metal stays fix the problem. This was the best priced item for metal collar stays that I could find. Shipping was quick and the item was exactly what I expected from the description.
on November 10, 2012
These work great, and the price is great. They work really well with little neodynium magnets, too, if you want to be really anal and fix the collar immutably in position. The sizes are all useful, if you have a bunch of different types of collars on your shirts. Pull the trigger, if you need collar stays, these rock. You'll look very well squared away, indeed.
on January 22, 2014
The stays are well made, clean stampings, no edge burrs, and uniform in size. I like them curved a bit which they are very accommodating to do so. I do think they are a bit heavy. I don't wear a tie much any more so being open collared with these stays in a light weight shirt causes the collar to sag a bit. A thinner gage material might solve that. Other than weight I think they are perfect and a good price.
on November 5, 2013
So, if you're reading this, you're in one of three categories. So, I'll leave my review in that way.

CATEGORY 1: You know/love metal shirt tabs. REVIEW: These are great - there is a great variety in sizes (3-sizes, I'd say but arguably 4) and they're very sturdy. Much better than paying $30 @ JoSA.

CATEGORY 2: You once had a shirt with metal tabs, you sort of liked it - and are considering switching. REVIEW: Absolutely - 100% - switch. These are great and they come with several sizes (lengths, that is). Some shirts have longer collar inserts - this will fill your need.

CATEGORY 3: You only have plastic tabs - and lost them, and now you're looking for replacements. REVIEW: Oh - you HAVE to switch. I'm a total convert - a former member of category 2...now I'm 100% committed. It's SO MUCH BETTER than plastic. These are very good - not expensive - and they will fit - for sure - because of the variety.

There you go - real review - real person.