5.0 out of 5 stars Great Port for the Vita
Published on June 13, 2012 by Archimedes

3.0 out of 5 stars Why so expensive?
I'm having trouble seeing how this is $50+ while the PS3 version (with an extra game) is around $30?

3 stars because I have played it, and they are quality HD remakes.
Published 10 months ago by bc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Port for the Vita, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
I won't go much into game specifics because there are a ton of reviews for the games themselves out there and by know you probably already know how good and popular the metal gear series is. So instead I'll talk about the Vita version. This game looks crisp and nice and plays really well on the Vita. There are some touch screen features added on to this game, but don't really think I'll use them at all. The touch screen features aren't things that really change the gameplay much and most will probably ignore them.

If you love playing the Metal Gear series over and over again and want them on the go then you should definitely pick this copy up, the games plays great and look great on the Vita. There is no new content compared to the PS3/Xbox 360 versions. Just the fact you can carry it around and play it whenever and the fact that you can save your game on your PS3 and continue it on your Vita and vice versa.

If you've never played these games before you are really missing out. There's a reason they have ported this series to many systems and re hash them every couple of years. They are in my Top 10 games of all time. Yes, they're that good. I've boughten these games several times, the remakes, the Substances, Substinanceseses (lol), the Ps2 collections, the HD collections for consoles, and now the Vita version.

No, this does not include the Peace Walker game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Great Video Game Classics on a High Class Handheld, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
I have been waiting for this collection to be released ever since I saw this title on the Upcoming PS Vita Game List back in January. I saw first that it was going to be released sometime in Late December, but (Thankfully) it was released June 12 (Today). So as soon as I saw the June 12 release date I automatically place my reserve on this game. After months of waiting, I picked this game up today (from Gamestop, along with a 3 Month PS+ card) and immediately tear the plastic off and took the Game Card out and started playing. I started with MGS2 (my favorite MGS title) and was impressed that it was exactly like the PS2 Ver. of MGS2, the Menus, the storyline, the Modes (except for the Skateboarding mode, which I'll admit, didn't really miss a lot). Graphically,I saw improved quality of the graphics, which is the result of the qHD Graphics (960pX544p)which was a improvement over the PS2 version (in my opinion). The control scheme was similar to the PS2 Ver. but with touch support added. When I heard that there was going to be touch screen controlled, I'll admit I thought I wasn't going to like it, but after playing for awhile, I got used to using my finger to shift through my inventory, or to look over a corner for a guard, I would actually consider the experience rather fun, than being a intrusive addition. Then I played MGS3: Snake Eater, and defiantly no complaints there as well, other than getting rid of the classic mode of Snake Vs Monkey, which I thought was disappointing, but didn't hurt the rest of MGS3. (Almost) everything about MGS3 is exactly like it was on the PS2 version. The inclusion of touch screen controls was a bonus as well, made the game play more unique than the PS2 Ver. So overall after playing this collection for a couple of hours I am rather impressed with the quality of MGS2 and MGS3, the Modes,Menus were rather similar to the PS2 counter part. The only thing that the collection was missing is Peace Walker, my guess as to why it was missing is that at some-point, it will be available to the PSN Store for Vita in the future. I also heard a rumor about there being a code to download the MGS1 for PS1 for the Missing PW game, THIS ISN'T TRUE. So to end this review, I would say that this game has just about everything a MGS fan could ask for (Except peace walker) and unless you already have the MGS HD Collection for the PS3/360 (even if you do, you should get it for the unique experience that the VITA Ver. offers) you NEED TO GET THIS GAME NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars A VITA NECESSITY FOR ACTION/ STEALTH FANS, June 28, 2012
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is a bundle of 2 of the best and biggest PS2 games remastered in HD graphics on a handheld!! It also has the 2 classic Metal Gears on the MSX bundled with the PS2 classics. This is one of the best deals on the Vita and is a must own for action/ stealth fans. This bundle gives over 35 hours of gameplay and is definitely worth $40. With the loss of the buttons L2, L3, R2, and R3 on the Vita (triggers and analog buttons), this game makes up for that by using the touchscreen and the rear touch pad. There is also a variety of tutorials in the main menu on how to do some of the more advanced moves in the game (interrogating, slitting throats, and holding up guards). The Metal Gear Solid franchise is known for its amazing stories and stealth gameplay. These games have amazing single player campaigns, but this also means that they are cutscene heavy. So if you don't like long cutscenes in games, it might be annoying for you. Also, if you didn't play the first game, or if you stop paying attention during a cutscene, some of the subplots and the main plot will seem confusing to you. Thats the only other problem I have with these games. Because they're very long, they're also complicated so its important to pay attention during each cutscene. But, since the cutscenes are so long, I can see how some people will lose interest in them and miss major plot points. Besides those two minor problems, these games are filled with content that will keep you playing. You get bonus content after you beat each of the PS2 titles, making you want to replay a mission with the newly acquired content (guns, camouflage, etc.). These games also have trophies now. So, every time you beat a boss or if you beat the game, you get rewarded for it. The addition of trophies also adds a lot of re-playability for players who want to 100% these games. Sadly, the 2 MSX classics don't have trophies, but that's understandable because they aren't the meat of the collection. Overall, this is a must own for Vita gamers looking for a good stealth game and that don't mind long (yet amazing) campaigns and lengthy cutscenes between gameplay. Metal Gear Solid 3 is also tied with Kingdom Hearts for my favorite PS2 game. Now that it's remastered and on a handheld couldn't make me happier. Now all they need is a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection for the Vita.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 10, 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
Beautiful gameplay. I always get 60fps, can't really go wrong with this one, it's always been my dream to fight Solidus while i'm on the toilet, now that dream has finally come true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near-Perfect Ports: MGS2 and 3 FINALLY on a handheld system., November 25, 2013
Alex Gomez (Southern Cali) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
I actually bought the game about a year or so ago and I'm still playing it regularly and haven't finished everything there is to do, so I figured I'd add my review to Amazon.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection: Aside from the Playstation Vita itself being a dream come true system for me, having MGS2 and 3 on the go was a big selling point for me. I’d played them both to hell on the PS2 already, but nothing beats having such epic games in the palm of your hands. However, the transition from console to handheld was not without a few minor issues.

The issues with the Vita edition of the MGS HD Collection include:

1.) In MGS3, if you have the knife equipped and accidently brush your finger across the rear-touchpad (which will happen often), Naked Snake will abruptly stop moving and swipe his knife. It can be annoying when you’re trying to sneak by an enemy and don’t realize you have the knife in-hand. This can lead to an alert if an enemy hears you. The simple solution is to just make sure you unequip the knife when you don’t need it. Simply tapping the the Weapon icon on the bottom right of the screen will unequip the weapon quickly.

2.) Because the Playstation Vita lacks L2/R2 triggers, the Vita’s rear-touchpad is used to replace them. This is in part a good thing, because now nothing from the console games is excluded, but the touchpad is also not as accurate as the L2/R2 triggers. Instead of pressing and holding the L2/R2 triggers, on the Vita you have to slide both index or middle fingers down on the rear-touchpad. Don't worry, its MUCH easier done than said.

3.) The Playstation Vita’s analog sticks are a bit too sensitive, so the sniping sections from Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance will be a tiny-bit more troublesome than on consoles (particularly, the part where you have to shoot out the small mines on the oil fence while aiding Emma).

Most of the extras, including the orignal MSX titles, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are still available in the Vita edition. So are the gigantic amount of VR Missions in MGS2 Substance, Snake Tales and the Demo Theater from MGS3 Subsistence. Peace Walker is noticeably absent from this collection, but that is most likely due to cart constraints. PS Vita game carts hold 4 gigs max at the moment, and Peace Walker would’ve added an extra 1.5GB. Simply put, PW would not have fit.

Despite those three small grievances, everything else transitioned perfectly. There really isn’t much else I could ask of handheld versions of these games. Simply put, I love them and if I had a chance to play their home console counterparts, I wouldn’t. Vita all the way baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow the bad reviews are just plain dumb, June 17, 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
lol I understand if stealth isn't your thing you would call this game boring
but the one who said bad graphics you must be on crack, the graphic are amazing
BUT the ONE who said this game is old, hahahahaha I bet your the guy with all the call of duty games and already pre-ordering call of duty ghosts

This is a must have for vita owners or mgs fans that want to fight the fury while in the toilet :D

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for Ps vita owners, September 27, 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
Simply one of the best remakes done EVER!!! a must for ever MGS fan or if you have a Vita and wants to play a real classic you have to buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
I've played these games on the PS2 and they have lost NOTHING on the handheld. 5 more words are required. Stupid reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the PS2 version, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
A great port to the vita system. Graphics are just as amazing if not better due to the high quality screen on the vita.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal Gear Immortalized, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Video Game)
This is my first time playing any MGS game, although I have been interested in the series for quite some time. I have heard a lot of good things about this franchise, and I was not disappointed. This is simply an enhanced combination of the second and third Metal Gear Solid games. I did however hear that the Xbox and PS3 versions have Peace Walker on them as well, and that left me slightly disappointed. Fortunately, Metal Gear Solid 3 makes up for this. The third game is by far the better of the two in this collection (although the second one is really great too.) I highly recommend this game for any Metal Gear enthusiast or anyone who wants to get into the Metal Gear Solid franchise, although you may want to go with the Xbox or PS3 version if you want Peace Walker as well.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection by Konami (PlayStation Vita)
$33.80