Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - PlayStation 4 Standard Edition
Platform: PlayStation 4Change
Price:$18.78 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

If this were a review for a demo it would be 5 stars, but this is a review calling out the obvious - it's a demo to showcase the Fox Engine and new gameplay style of where MGS is headed, and you are gonna be paying for it. It's a glorified money grab in the worst way.

Graphically this is a great way to show off your PS4, but for a few dollars more you could pick up Tomb Raider and do the same thing and have a much more robust experience for what you are spending vs here which is honestly nothing more then a glorified demo with such a small tidbit of the massive story that it's not enough to dig deep into what is coming which should be great.

MGS fans are a rabid bunch (I am one of them), but I am not going to throw myself at the feet of Konami and justify telling you that it is OK to be spending $30 for a demo.

This should have been $10 as a digital download at most.

I strongly suggest against all urges to wait on this one because not only will the price drop quickly but I suspect this will be included as a bonus with The Phantom Pain.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2014
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes was released to show off the new Fox engine and let players get accustomed to the new control scheme. It delivers on those two goals. It offers fun gameplay and beautiful graphics (minus one complaint that I have). Considering that MGS 5: The Phantom Pain is two hundred times larger than Ground Zeroes, it is self evident that the price for Ground Zeroes is a bit high. The main mission and the five side missions all take place at the same location. Stealth reaps the highest rewards, as far as scoring goes, but players have the choice of being loud and proud if they so desire. I preordered this game because I thoroughly enjoyed MGS 4 on the PS3, I was anxious to see the new Fox engine in action, and I was ready for a new PS4 game.

The graphics look amazing. Cut scenes are in-engine. Everything looks realistic, and it's easy to suspend disbelief and be drawn into the action. I do have one problem with the graphics, though, and it really stood out to me. I know I'm nitpicking here, but since everything else looks so great, I was disappointed to see this. The issue I'm speaking of concerns the tires on vehicles, mainly the helicopters. The tires look like stop signs, not tires. There were round tires on last generation consoles, so why not on these ultra-powerful new ones? Side view mirrors on the jeeps look just as bad. While this may not matter to a lot of players, I expect more.

The A.I. is okay (normal difficulty), but there is room for improvement. I ran myself into a dead end and there was only one box to hide behind. A group of soldiers saw me go back there, but they did not engage me, nor did they try to draw me out. They simply ran off and said into their radios that they didn't see me anymore. I think the A.I. should know when the player is trapped with only one way out, but they don't. I was also seen going into an armory. They did not remain in the area and wait for me to come out, and they didn't come in to get me. They reported on their radios that I was no longer in sight, and then they just moved on. I hope this is fixed by the time The Phantom Pain releases.

A lot of people are reporting this is a two hour main mission and about another hour worth of side missions. I actually got four and a half hours from the main mission because I thoroughly explored, accosted each soldier, and tried to find everything that I could, all without being spotted. Once I finished four side missions, I had 6.5 hours of gameplay. I haven't unlocked the fifth side mission. Four side missions are unlocked, but the fifth has a requirement (locating all 9 patches during the main mission).

There isn't a lot of story. There are about forty minutes or so of audio logs you can listen to before you play (or whenever you want to listen to them) that offer some story. There are more audio logs you obtain during the game. I like the new map system, but there seems to be an issue with it. During missions, you will discover the location of items that get marked on your map. The issue is that once you collect the item, the marker on the map remains, and this creates confusion. You may find yourself returning to collect an item that you collected earlier, and thus wasting your time. I hope this gets fixed with a patch. I think the final cut scene should have been a playable sequence.

I'm having a lot of fun playing this game. I appreciate good graphics and good gameplay. The controls work nicely. I still have some issues with controlling Snake while he's in the prone position (turning around, for example). Voice actors sound good, but the enemy soldiers' words are cliche.MGS fans will like this prologue, but don't expect a lengthy campaign. If $30 seems high to you, then wait for a price drop. This is more of a demo than a complete title, but it has replay value so you can try different approaches and that adds to the fun factor.

I'd recommend avoiding youtube videos that have spoilers, i.e. walkthroughs. If you're interested to see how the game looks, IGN has a good review that doesn't have spoilers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2014
Hideo Kojima’s Metal Gear Solid franchise is undoubtedly one of the biggest out there. So the release of a new numbered title in the franchise is definitely a big deal. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a direct sequel to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, originally released for the PSP and later ported to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and a prologue to the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Since the story is front-and-center in this series, it helps tremendously if you’ve played Peace Walker beforehand. But if you haven’t, Ground Zeroes does include a recap you can read through. However, it’s still a bit confusing as lots goes on during Peace Walker. Upon starting the game and looking at the absolutely stunning (and I really mean that…STUNNING) graphics and presentation, you will definitely get excited for the game. But that excitement turns out to be bittersweet.

Ground Zeroes’ storyline consists of just one mission with two objectives. Once that mission is completed, the credits roll and you get a “To Be Continued in The Phantom Pain” message. The first time playing through the mission can take a player about 1-2 hours. My own playthrough lasted 84 minutes, 51 seconds, but only because I just happened to stumble upon the right place by accident. The mission is challenging because you’re basically dropped in the enemy encampment and it’s entirely up to you to determine how to proceed. You can go in guns blazing or you can go in full stealth. You get a waypoint for the first objective, but for the second you’re blind and must sleuth your way to the finale. There are a few extra things you can do such as find hidden patches or rescue other prisoners, but it’s nothing too in-depth. The gameplay is actually really tight and polished, and is easily the most immersive Metal Gear Solid game I’ve ever played. After the credits roll, up to five side missions are unlocked for you to try. However, these missions are not tied to the story in any significant way and serve as nothing more than filler. They have a variety of objectives and all take place in the same area, only during different times of day. The PlayStation 4 version has a dynamic weather system for these side missions which adds some cool variety to them.

Graphically, this is easily the most impressive 8th generation game I’ve ever seen. My jaw dropped when the game began. I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing. The 8th gen versions both run at a blistering 60 frames per second that remains constant, which gives both the game and the cutscenes a remarkably fluid look and feel. Amazing that such visuals can be achieved on a game console and still have such detail in the textures, especially on PS4 which also outputs in 1080p. Keifer Sutherland does a fine job voicing Snake as well. I expected to hate it, as David Hayter IS Snake, but surprisingly it sounds great.

So rating this game was rather difficult for me. I’m not going to jump on the hater bandwagon and call this game a “demo”, because plain and simple this game is not a demo. A demo would imply that what you play here is also part of The Phantom Pain, which it’s not. However, I do have to question the value you get for thirty bucks here. The main mission is phenomenal, but there’s just not much to it. I’m not sure why Kojima couldn’t beef it up a little more, especially since he knew this is all we’d be getting. Sure, there are side missions that could hike up your playtime to 8 or 10 hours, but since they’re not unlocked until after the game ends, they feel like fluff. Besides, gamers buy Metal Gear Solid for the story, not side missions. At most, Ground Zeroes feels like your standard DLC pack, and should have been priced for maybe half of what it costs. But the fact remains…this is the start of a new Metal Gear story, and it’s a really good one. For newcomers to the series, I would recommend they start with Metal Gear Solid 3, and then move on to Peace Walker, as the story in Ground Zeroes is too far into canon to pick up completely. For fans of the series, this is required gaming no matter the cost. And if the intent for this game was to get us excited for The Phantom Pain, then the mission is most certainly accomplished.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2014
First, I love the gameplay and the graphics are absolutely stunning. But make no mistake, this is a DEMO, not a game. I have played Metal Gear since its beginning on the original Nintendo Entertainment System. It was actually the first game I ever beat. I could play straight through and defeat the original title in under two hours, which I did over and over. I have played every single Metal Gear game since. I purchased the HD versions of some of the classics on both the PS3 and PS Vita systems, and bought the "Zone of the Enders," game on its release date specifically for the included demo of Sons of Liberty. And, truthfully, the Sons of Liberty "demo," offered more fulfilling gameplay than this title. Not to give anything away, but once you learn the location of your objectives, there is no reason this "game" could not be completed in 45 minutes or so. In short, don't waste your money. If the game is offered as a $10 download on PSN or is included as a "demo" in another title later, then I would say give it a shot. But unless Konami plans on giving everyone who purchases this "game" a discount on the actual Metal Gear Solid V game when it is released, I would say that you should not waste your money on this one.
on December 25, 2014
The real meat of MGSV comes next year. As a huuuge MGS fan, I can say that the game IS worth buying if you're a fan. The length is what you make of it. I played it tonight, after getting it as a Christmas gift, and I was playing JUST the story bit, and it clocked in about 4 hours, with a completion rate of %8. Haven't even touched the extra missions yet. As a prologue, it's kickass. Just don't expect a full MGS game (like all the whiners did) and you'll love the game and be hyped as all hell for The Phantom Pain.
review image
on December 10, 2014
So we've all heard about how short this game is, and how it's basically a demo. I won't lie - the main story is incredibly short. I got it last night and completed it twice already. However, the main story is only one of 7 missions in the game, each of which are about the same length. The story mission is the centerpiece of the game, but it's not everything this game is about.

The game takes place on an island in Cuba where a military base is set up. As I said before, there are 7 missions that all take place in this base. The game plays like an open world game, although on a much smaller scale. You can go wherever you want in the base at any time, and can tackle the missions in any way you choose. There are also trophies for completing additional objectives in each mission, such as rescuing prisoners. On top of these main missions, there are a few other things, such as collectible patches and trials.

I feel like the reason people don't seem to like this game is because they were expecting a linear story as the single-player experience, and were disappointed that the story mode will take about an hour on your first play-through, and much less on subsequent tries. However, that's only a fraction of the game. Unlike other Metal Gear Solid games, which are heavily story-focused, this game is focused on the missions. Each mission makes up part of the overall experience, and only playing the main story mission only gives you a fraction of the experience. The point is to re-visit the map multiple times.

It's still a fairly short game, but there's more here than people think. I've played for about 15-20 hours and am 25% done with most of the trophies, and it's still fun. For $20 brand new, you're getting a decent amount (more than similarly-priced PSN games and DLC), especially considering the vast majority of PS4 and Xbox One games are still $60.
on March 8, 2015
Hard to believe I fell for this. I just got done playing and had to let people know - as others have stated here this is not actually a real Metal Gear game - it's a demo. An extremely short one. I have no idea how companies get away with this, but here they are misleading customers into paying $$ for a 1 hour demo. The software is opened so good luck returning! Disgraceful.
on January 26, 2015
This is a special kind of existential technology foreplay. It's like, it's showing you that there is something even better than this that's about to exist, and yet on its own, it's still wildly amazing and insane.

The level of detail and depth of variations are literally incomparable.

This is beyond a game, and it's not even a movie, it's an experience. And yet it's just a prologue. Honestly, I am not a "gamer" in the sense of like really getting into games of any kind. I'm so easily distracted, I just like playing games to distract myself, I need explosions and challenges and craziness to keep my attention, or I'll get bored and just walk away.

The everything of this is just so insane and absurd and intense and totally totally ridiculous, that you can't help but be sucked into this world. I don't even really like the stealth games because I don't have the patience for waiting on patterns and mapping things out, but this is like sooooo intuitive and "real" and natural, it's like you're literally just in this little world running around.

Oh, you heard a guy walking around over there, then you go the other way. In most stealth games I've tried, they have these very very prescribed patterns and you have to map them out. In this, you get to label everyone and then just be observant. No taking notes, no memorizing (which I'm terrible at), you just click buttons, pay attention, and go on your business. It feels like you're getting to be the guy, you're getting to just run around and do all this craziness.

I'm totally enamoured of it, and I'm sure people have their own very valid complaints. But like, I have experienced this as something unprecented and incomparable. Every moment of this just blew my mind and I'm actually practically panting at the videos for "The Phantom Pain" (the rest of the game), which looks to have like 100 times the depth and variation and insanity and complexity. Technologically, experientially, this is just above and beyond what I thought was even possible and it's a masterpiece artistically, aesthetically, electronically, and experientially.

This is pretty totally insane and needs to be seen, if not played.
on December 20, 2014
This game is amazing and it lasts well over an hour if you play it right, I rushed through it and it took me about and hour. There are several different missions on the same map that take place at different times of the day, and different weather effects in each mission which has kept me playing because they feel so different that I completely forget it's the same map. The story was amazing and had me excited from start to finish. Very well orchestrated mission and it didn't feel like a gimmick. I tried very hard to find something I didn't like about the game but the port is phenomenal and the GFX are gorgeous. I don't agree with anything that you said. I actually think your PC may be seriously outdated.

Good games and products don't come along often and when they do they have to be rated fairly especially video games. After playing this game I would pay the release price solely based on the quality of the game.
on March 20, 2014
Kojima released this game/demo because he knew devout MGS fans, myself included, will purchase it no matter what. I really feel like I've been taken advantage of. The story mode is way toooooo short for the price. I knew it was going to be short before playing the game but I didnt expect it to be THAT short. I would have paid $15 at most.

But in terms of game play and graphics, it is beautifully done. This is probably by far the best looking game on the PS4.
The controls are somewhat similar to those of MGS4. I can't wait until MGS5 gets released.

I give 3 stars because of the price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...