Customer Discussions > Metal Gear Solid HD Collection forum

Have all Metal Gears... What order do I play them in?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2012 7:19:40 PM PDT
I've owned all of the metal gears intermittently over the years and have played them mostly halfheartedly. Now I'm going to sit down and play through them all.

I understand the story is kind of convoluted... Should I play them in order of release or is there a better way? Thanks!

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:38:35 PM PDT
C. R. Flores says:
One through four is the best way to do it.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:40:57 PM PDT
But where does Peace Walker fit in? What about the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (not solid)?

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 6:01:54 AM PDT
Jesse Cortez says:
if you really want to follow the storyline then I would do metal gear solid 3 snake eater first cause that is when big boss or naked snake was young and on his first mission. Then Peace Walker, that is when Big Boss sort of went on his own forming his own group. If you have the original NES Metal Gear titles then they would be next cause they involve Solid Snake. Then you could continue with the playstation metal gear solid series 1, 2, and 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 9:45:11 AM PDT
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:57:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 30, 2012 3:58:42 PM PDT]

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:45:44 PM PDT
Seth Bouldin says:
Just FYI, MGS3: Subsistence had MG1 and MG2, which fits in to the canon after PW I believe. The NES game "Snake's Revenge" was a stand-alone American cash in and isn't cannon to the series...but I'd play it just to say you've played 'em all ;)

Posted on May 29, 2012 5:18:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 5:20:30 PM PDT
mjc0961 says:
As of now, the chronological order is as follows:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid (The Twin Snakes)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

So if you wanted to play them in order of plot progression rather than release progression, there you go.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 12:55:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 12:57:41 PM PDT
ragnarok0609 says:
play in order of release. that way every game would have some mystery or history than you can find out from a later released game. apart from being brilliant games on their own, having a loose plot point explained in some other release is more fun that already knowing whos who from the strating of the game. just my thoughts...
heres the release date order
MG
MG2
MGS
MGS2
MGS3
MGS:PO
MGS4
MGS:PW

you could play mgs:pw befor mgs4 as MGS4 doesnt have anything thats explained in PW. (as far as i remeber)

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 3:30:00 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
Play the main series in order. MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4. Even though it's a prequel, i don't recommend playing MGS3 before 1 and 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 6:05:21 PM PDT
D. Kerr says:
Agreed. Many references will be lost on you if you play MGS3 first. Play them in order of release. PW or PO can be played at any point after MGS3.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection by Konami (PlayStation 3)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (246)