Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2008 9:45:37 PM PDT
Rock 'N Roll says:
My parents recently took my Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest CD's because they are 'evil and satanic' I need quick advice for what I can say to change their minds....Metalheads...HELP!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 12:40:54 PM PDT
I think that if they see CD's as a threat to your or their faith, then that faith can't be very strong, can it? I think that spirituality shouldn't be focused on such petty things as what music people listen to, but rather spiritual merit; what actions people take and do for one another. I know that Dimebag Darrell of Pantera was a wonderful person, but he made aggressive music.

It really makes my blood boil when people make completely primal, non-intellectual assumptions like "Agressive music is evil and satanic". It doesn't make any sense at all. Tell them to stop being monkeys and actually think about their faith. If they feel that it's threatened by a little plastic shiny disc, they need to re-evaluate their mental and spiritual status. I'm a confirmed Lutheran, but I like Rush, Metallica, Pantera, etc. Even if the lyrics of a song challenge my faith, I don't feel offended or threatened because I know that if I can make it through a challenge and remain rational, my faith has only grown stronger.

If you don't believe in God yourself, that's okay too. I have absolutely no problem with atheists because it is really hard to believe. I often have a very hard time with faith myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 11:26:34 PM PDT
Rock 'N Roll says:
It is ironic, the day you posted a response was the day I got my CD's back. It is also rather ironic that I told my parents almost the exact same thing. What is even odder is that they like Rush. They like all classic rock bands (except for Black Sabbath) and they make the assumption that all metal and Black Sabbath is satanic. Even if it was, that wouldn't change my belief in God. What they didn't know was that Black Sabbath has a song on their 3rd CD (Masters of Reality) that is all about God.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 1:27:40 PM PDT
Wow, that is a really strange coincidence; you posted that about 2 months ago. I figured it was an act if futility!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Metallica
Metallica by Metallica (Audio CD - 1991)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (1,415)