5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tale
Twenty plus years ago, I set out on the plan to read whatever book was set before me through to the end. That is, like it or not. I will be honest in that the mystical has never held my attention. When it was suggested i read this book it was with some trepidation i took it off the self yesterday.

I'm so amazed at the intricacies invoved in how this plot...
Published on May 19, 2012 by Sarasotagail

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good story but limited on knowledge
While the book is very good, if you know things about metaphysics beyond the basics this book can get quite frustrating. The story and interesting characters redeem the book it's lack of knowledge. Will be reading the next book to know what happens next.
Published 18 months ago by Dairinn Phoenix

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tale, May 19, 2012
This review is from: The Metaphysical Detective (A Riga Hayworth Paranormal Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I'm so amazed at the intricacies invoved in how this plot unfolds. I loved the review of mythology, the analogies and insights to other lands in our word and beyond!

I finished the Book in one day and am looking forward to Rigas next escapes.
Surely, that speaks volumes from a mystical skeptic!
I recommend this book to do what i believe books do best --carry you away!
Happy reading.
Gail

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-crafted, fast-paced and fun!, June 5, 2012
4.5 stars

I bought this book and its sequel at Orinda Books after hearing the author read at a book event last weekend. I finished this book in a day and a half, carrying it with me around the halls at work, on my lunch walk, to the bathroom... well, you get the idea. Strong, well-rounded characters; several unique story hooks; unexpected twists and turns; a couple of really creepy scenes (I'd tell you more, but I hate spoilers. Just look for the scenes at the Billiard Room and Riga's neighbor's apartment); and some very evocative descriptions of San Francisco made The Metaphysical Detective a delight to read. The author feeds out information on the heroine's background in small, tantalizing doses and avoids info-dumps.

Two reasons this is 4.5 instead of 5 stars:

1. There were a couple of places where the transitions were a bit abrupt for me and I felt cheated of details. Gimme more! There was one particular villain who I wanted to see at the end rather than just hear about his/her fate.

2. I figure the second book is going to be even better and wanted to hold out that extra half star for it!

A very well-crafted mystery, especially enjoyable for those who enjoy a touch of the paranormal!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Riga Hayworth! Can't wait for her next adventure!, April 18, 2012
This story is full of mystery and suspense. It all takes place in San Francisco CA and the San Francisco Bay Area, and I live here! This makes the book so much fun because I am familiar with all of the places mentioned in the book and I am sure even those out of this area will relate to because of SF being such a famous tourist attraction.
I hope Kirten Weiss has many more Riga Hayworth adventures to follow The Metaphysical Detective!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, March 20, 2012
What a great ride! This is a fast moving book with humor, a bit of romance, some definitely creepy moments, and a mystery that spans the metaphysical and mundane. I can't wait to see these characters again in the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Even the Metaphysical World has rules!, February 29, 2012
Tweetiepie54 (SAN MATEO, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I could say this book is a commentary on the rules of metaphysical nature; or the relevance of Gods and Godesses in today's metaphysical world and real world; and the effect of supernatural powers on a gifted-person and his/her relationships with others. Or I could just say....

FUN! FUN! FUN! It's fast paced (a big plus for me), with terrific characters. And I never knew what was coming next. Plus, the idea of Brigitte, well that just cracks me up! I immediately thought this book would make a great movie. The first outing by this new author has me wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared for awesome., August 20, 2013
I really enjoyed this first tale in te Riga Hayworth series. Not often does one find a classic Agatha Chrisite sit evenyone down in the living room and let me tell you who dunnit in such an unusual setting with such compelling and otherworldly suspects.

Riga is a San Francisco detective with extraordinary abilities. She's smart, witty and sexy and a very intriguing character. When her newest client is found dead of a supposed accident, she has her work cut out for her. The path to find out who dunnit takes a lot of twists and turns along the way and the suspects abound. Can't say more without spoilers. Even better, the secondary characters are just as priceless as Riga herself, my favorite being Brigitte, the gargoyle who lives on Riga's balcony, and Vinnie, a wiseacre ghost from the 40's that inhabits a local condo.

If you like urban fantasy and classic mysteries, this is the one for you. Going to go grab the other three in the series and I can't wait to read them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good story but limited on knowledge, July 27, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly enjoyable, and I love Bridgett, July 26, 2013
Book Info: Genre: Paranormal mystery
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: those who like mysteries with a bit of paranormal
Trigger Warnings: murder, assault

My Thoughts: I can't even remember how it was I heard of this series, but I had been collecting the books before I was ever contacted by the author to review the latest one. When I mentioned I was still missing the first as well, she was kind enough to send that along, too. So, a big thanks to Kirsten Weiss for letting me read this whole series in one swell foop! It's something I've been looking forward to for a good, long while.

Overall I really liked the story. I was especially amused by Riga's Agatha Christie impression when presenting the denouement to the Archetypes. I was, however, annoyed with the perpetuation of one of the biggest misrepresentations of Tarot there is out there, and that is that the Death card literally represents Death. Anyone who has seriously studied Tarot knows that Death represents change, often abrupt, sometimes difficult (but not as traumatic as that of the Tower), but only change. Depending on the other cards and the placement in the reading, it can also mean rejuvenation. It definitely does not mean literal death.

But that's a minor grip. Overall I enjoyed the story, and I really liked most of the character. I thought Pen was a little immature for being 17; I certainly don't remember being that disrespectful toward relatives (other than my parents) at that age. If Pen were my niece and she talked to me that way at that age, she's probably end up with a cuff to the ear for her troubles.

Nonetheless, if you like mysteries with a touch of the paranormal (and gargoyles--let's not forget Bridgett, because she's awesome), then you'll like this book. I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

Series Information: Riga Hayworth Paranormal Mysteries
Book 1: The Metaphysical Detective, received from author for review
Book 2: The Alchemical Detective, picked up on Amazon during KDP promotion
Book 3: The Shamanic Detective, picked up on Amazon during KDP promotion
Book 4: The Infernal Detective, received from author for review

Disclosure: I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: When Riga Hayworth finds her new client, Helen Baro, dead, she smells a set up of metaphysical proportions. Now, to find a killer, Riga must travel from San Francisco to the underworld - and make it back alive...

Helen believes her husband is trying to kill her. One problem: Helen's husband died in a car crash last year. Riga isn't sure what to think. Is Helen mad? Is someone else trying to harm the woman? Or is this really a case of attempted murder from beyond the grave? But then Helen is found dead, leaving a strange haiku and tarot for a clue, and Riga is hurled into an investigation that threatens the detective and those she loves.

A noir paranormal mystery based in the San Francisco Bay Area, the Metaphysical Detective explores the power of the archetypes through the double lens of tarot and Greek mythology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Metaphysics, Olympians, Shamans, oh, my!, March 17, 2013
I have a confession - I picked up "The Shamanic Detective" The Shamanic Detective (A Riga Hayworth Paranormal Mystery Novel) from my daily e-mail from Freebooksy.com (if you don't get the e-mail, you should. I have already found some great freebies from them!) After reading a few pages, I decided that, rather than starting with book three, I would go back and check out book one, "The Metaphysical Detective (A Riga Hayworth Paranormal Mystery Novel) first. I downloaded the free sample, then, totally caught up in the story already, purchased the book and settled in to read.

One of the best things about Freebooksy (and the worst) is that you might get access to a freebie that is the first of a series, or you might get the second or third. In this case, the third was offered, pricking my interest enough that I am now already well into book two!

Riga's story is unique, clever and well plotted. Ms. Weiss did a bang up job of researching the history and mythology of the Olympians, then blended in a tight story line based upon multiverse theory, magic and shamanism in a way tha,t was unique as compared to other UF stories I have recently enjoyed. It has been a long time since I have read Greek and Roman mythology, and this book brought back much of what I truly enjoyed about the old stories.

The main characters, Riga, Donovan, Penn and Brigitte are well defined and very interesting in their development. Additional human/magical creatures are interesting, with their own stories and tight dialog. The magical and Olympian characters, archetypes all, are beautifully written, falling gracefully within their personal mythologies. The ghost, Vinnie, was a hoot, but Brigitte is my favorite - I love gargoyles!

The mysteries flowing through the book are surprisingly well developed. The stories are both creative and not easy to figure out, which is a true pleasure. The ending of the mystery on Olympus flowed in true Agatha Christie style (which Ms. Weiss gives full credit for) and I absolutely loved it.

Strong writing, strong characters, sweet plot twists and great research. There does need to be some editing done, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great (Paranormal) Detective Story, January 6, 2015
I discovered the Riga Hayworth books and read all 6 (that have been published to date) in a week. So yes, I'm a big fan of the series.

The story is more detective than bodice-ripper, which I appreciate, and the characters are interesting and well-drawn. The author leaves some mystery around Riga's history, which both adds interest and avoids pointless exposition.

Apropos of some criticisms I've read in the reviews: This is not a grimoire. You will not learn dark arts within these pages. The author does know her paranormal stuff, though, and provides a convincing and compelling world for Riga and the others to inhabit.

I look forward to book 7!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›