Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 26, 2003
Sure, they may not have the most complex guitar out there and their songs are very structurally similar, but really, Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" was one of the catchiest, most energetic, and innovative cds to come out in quite a while. I loved their first release, loved the remix album just as much, and have been salivating over this new album. So, does it live up to their past two records? Lets go track by track-
1. Foreword- a short intro with speeding up percussion (the sound of a cd burner being beaten up) erupting into the sound of shattering glass and launching you into the next track.
2. Don't Stay- An aggressive guitar driven track with some really awesome dj scratching. Chester Bennington (singer) mixes up the verses with some awesome screaming.
3. Somewhere I Belong- The first single of Meteora sounds like it was constructed from the ground up to be a radio hit in the vein of In The End. That said, the interesting sampling and really beautiful piano part make this track a very memorable in its own right.
4. Lying From You- Heavy, sample laced guitar riffs and thunderous vocals make this one of the most mammoth tracks on the album
5. Hit The Floor- One of my favorites, Hit The Floor features some spectacular samples, skull crushing riffs and screaming, and some real tricky rapping from Mike Shinoda (emcee). I love the bridge, and the chorus has the same sort of weirdly catchy syncopation as By Myself (off Hybrid Theory).
6. Easier To Run- Ugh, my least favorite. Everything about this track smacks of an ill fated attempt to recapture the awesome grandeur off their old single, "Crawling". Though the rapping part is alright, Chester's chorus is revoltingly sappy and boring. Actually, his voice reminds me of Creed in this song (if that's good or bad, you decide).
7. Faint- Fast, furious, slick, and raging, the quick rapping and funky violin samples make this song an instant classic.
8. Figure 9- A straightforward rap-rocker with some clanking sampling and a bridge lifted right off of By Myself, this one is a solid head banger.
9. Breaking The Habit- A really weird sample, featuring Spanish guitar, live orchestra, and -I think- coin chinking sounds from a Mario game plays behind Chester's tortured, magnificent lyrics. A rather large departure from traditional LP (no rap, for one thing), this song really is quite beautiful, though the chorus could be seen as a little corny.
10. From the Inside- A solid ballad with a furious bridge, I think this song is a better Crawling sequel than Easier to Run.
11. Nobody's Listening- A cool hip-hop track with some unique flute samples, clips of High Voltage (another Linkin Park rap song), and some singing in the chorus. Though I'm not a big straight rap fan, I like this track quite a bit.
12. Session- An awesome instrumental, this is actually one of my favorites on the cd. Though its conceptually evocative of Cure for the Itch, the layering of sounds and seriously wicked dj solo make this far better than any of Linkin Park's past instrumentals.
13. Numb- The crowning achievement of the cd, Numb is one of the few tracks on Meteora that not only captures the energy and emotion of Hybrid Theory, it expounds upon it. A beautiful chorus, splendid piano and keyboard parts, and unforgettable lyrics make this my favorite song on the cd.
Overall, this album is musically more advanced and distinguished than Linkin Park's past attempts. However, it is not as gripping, powerful, or focused as Hybrid Theory or even Reanimation. Though a number of songs seem attempt to duplicate past successes- Don't Stay and Ones Step Closer, Somewhere I Belong and In The End, Lying From You and With You, Easier to Run and Crawling, Figure 9 and By Myself, Numb and Pushing Me Away- they seldom capture the elements that made Hybrid Theory such an outstanding album. Nowhere is there the frenetic razor beats of Papercut, the infamous "Shut up!"s of One Step Closer, or the emotional meltdown of A Place for My Head. Meteora excels in other ways, however. The tracks are more diverse, from the techno pop of Breaking the Habit to the ingenious hip hop of Nobody's Listening to the grinding elements of Hit the Floor, the songs on the album are on a whole more different from each other than they were on Hybrid Theory. Newcomers to LP won't be disappointed, but I think long time fans will find them selves yearning for the band's former punch. In fact, its probable that Meteora will not commercially match Hybrid Theory- though a lot of the tracks are soft and catchy, not as many just scream to be heard again. Another gripe is that this is one very short cd- though there isn't a lot of filler, you feel like they keep working up to something grand and never quite achieve it (though Numb, the best track, is last, one amazing song tacked on at the end does not make the rest of the cd monumental). Don't get me wrong, this is a good album and is well deserving of your money, I just think that there is something missing that prevents it from being a 5 star album.
55 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2003
How does linkin park do it. meteora has excelled all my expectations as I could not believe they could match the brilliance of hybrid theory....But they did.
Track overview.
01.This is an awsome start to any album and blends perfectly with track 2.
02.Don't Stay- A great opener, fast and hard. The chourus grows on you but it is the brigde which stands out and you find yourself yelling with chester. 3.5/5
03.Somewhere I Belong- The single. The intro to this song is so addictive i find myself playing it over and over again. Good song, not the best. 4/5
04.Lying from you-Chester's voice in this song is so powerful and it is impossible not to yell with him. The chorus is again awesome but is let down by the rap. 3.5/5
05.Hit the floor- the major dissapointer of the album. The rap is to similar to previous efforts and the chourus offers very little. 2/5
06.Easier to Run- this chorus is one of the best in the album and blends perfectly with the brige at the end. One of my favourites. 4.5/5
07.Faint- The best song on the album. The intro is incredible and the rap blends so well with chester's chorus. A hard song with the best yelling bridge on the album. 5/5
08 Figure .09- Good song. the chorus isn't as catchy as others but the rap is a stand out. Not original enough. 3/5
09 Breaking the habit- An original an unlike any of their other songs. A quiet song in comparison and the opening scratch with the strings is awesome. Good for a change. 4/5
10.From the Inside- A major stand out. I love this chorus. It has awesome lyrics and is easy to sing with. The best mix of rap and singing to date with an awesome brige. 5/5
11.Nobody's Listening-Again very different.the intro with the pipes sounds sweet. Good rap. Good Chorus. 4/5
12.Session- Dissapointing. Nothing compared to track 11 on hybrid theory where Mr Hahn went off. 1/5
13.Numb- Another great song, easy flowing and again good to sing with. Great lyrics, another favourite, good closer. 4.5/5
*** An awsome album...linkin park has created another masterpeice with every intro being different from the next but being so effective.
Best songs- 03,06,07,10,13
on November 19, 2003
First let me start off saying Linkin Park is a truly awesome and unique band. But as I've been looking over everyone else's reviews on both Meteora and Hybrid Theory, people confuse Linkin Park with so many genre's. It's either "If you want REAL pop rock get Justin Timberlake" or "If you want REAL rock get Alice in Chains," or "If you want REAL hip hop get 2pac".
Wake up, LP isn't just one genre. It's a mixture of all of those above plus the synthesizers used frequently. I guess because this is one of the only bands to combine all of these, not many like it.
It's either the rap fans hating the screaming/rock to it, or the rock fans hating the rapping part. And to those who think they're too much like Justin Timberlake, lets try hearing JT with his high squeaky voice belt out those songs.
And as for sounding too much like Limp Bizkit, try giving Fred Durst a dictionary and see if he can actually think up half decent lyrics without using the "F" word every other line, so that you actually have an idea what he's singing about in the first place.
This band is all about opinion, on whether or not you like changes or appreciate many different types of music. You got to appreciate many types of instrumentals and vocals to appreciate LP. Sure it takes some gettng used to, but dare to be different. Too many bands have the same music lately, don't you want to hear something unique and different for once? LP is just what your looking for then. Try it, you might enjoy what you hear.
on November 19, 2004
A lot of people have asked me what I thought about Linkin Park's 2003 Sophmore Release 'Meteora' and the first thing I would tell them was that it was a nice follow up with some songs that can push them in a newer direction. Now, a lot of you Linkin Park 'haters' who think this album was terrible won't agree with what I am about to say, and that's fine. Linkin Park has a style that, whether you 'love em' or 'hate em', is catchy and it works. They succesfully have combined hip-hop, rock, and electronica to make something that most of us enjoy hearing and they ACTUALLY care about their fans, unlike most bands out there. Now, back to what I was saying before about a 'newer direction'. Meteora was a necessity in Linkin Park's career because they hadn't finished experimenting with their style to a point where they could go into a 'new direction'. Sure 'Meteora' had its moments where it seemed that it was trying to repeat some of the songs from 'Hyrbid Theory' like (Easier to Run=Crawling, and Somewhere I Belong=In the End), but there were other songs such as 'Faint' and 'Breaking the Habit' that helped push thier style to a new point. 'Breaking the Habit' especially is the key song that was the most diverse of all the songs from any of their albums, and because of it they plan to head the way 'Breaking the Habit' helped push them for their next album. I am a Linkin Park fan, yes, but I'm not gonna lie; I like their music and I liked all their albums so far, but I really hope they bring something different forward for their third album, because that is where true artists make/break it. But Meteora is worth buying; it's short, sweet and to the point. No filler songs and a very nice expansion upon Hyrbid Theory. Even if you're skeptical about buying it because you have heard it was bad, buy it anyway because why base your decision off of someone elses OPINION. You won't know for sure until you have heard it yourself.
on March 25, 2003
Nearly three years after making their massive, multi-platinum debut with 'Hybrid Theory,' Linkin Park return with this, their sophmore album, which definitely does not disappoint. At the core, its still Linkin Park. They haven't lost that edge, that style and smoothness that made 'Hybrid Theory' such a great listen. However, what you will find on 'Meteora' is a bit more experimental and more diverse. Where Linkin Park used to be just a rap-rock band, they tend to spread things out this time around. Songs like "Don't Stay" are straight-ahead rockers, which are complimented nicely by hip-hop tracks such as "Nobody's Listening" and "Hit The Floor." No doubt, the album is very short and not all of the songs click instantly like the ones on 'Hybrid Theory.' It will take a few listens to get into this one, but once you get it, it's great. With 'Meteora,' Linkin Park prove to not be just a flash-in-the-pan. 'Hybrid Theory' has gotten a little played out, but I get the feeling that this disc will be around a lot longer. All of the songs seem to be tapping in on a deeper emotional level, and with their success, the band seems to have a lot more creative control. The limited edition disc is a great buy. It comes with a DVD documenting the making of the album, a gigantic booklet, with little notes about the making of each song, and the disc itself includes a short film about the art of 'Meteora' (Heck, when I bought my copy, I even got a free t-shirt. It doesn't fit, but that's not the point). If you didn't like Linkin Park before, I doubt this will change your mind, but this should definetly please all of their fans.
on February 6, 2004
Why did it take me so long to write a review? I bought this album the day it came out and was so worried about what I would hear. Sophomore efforts from incredible debuts kind of work like movie sequels- they tend to not be as good. Linkin Park revive their sound, and mold it like true art. And at first I didn't like it at all. But extended listening has this rivaling "Hybrid Theory". It grows on you.
1. FOWARD (-) No score, so song.
2. DONT STAY (A) Wakes us up into what we know, and what we like. A very strong track.
3. SOMEWHERE I BELONG (B+) Honestly, the reason I was worried about this CD was because of this song. The bridge is awesome, though.
4. LYING FROM YOU (B) Back to business with this one. But somehow I'm still feeling alienated...
5. HIT THE FLOOR (A) This is very fresh! agressive, resistant- this song fights you!
6. EASIER TO RUN (A) Soaring with vocals, this is Linkin Park's rock ballad.
7. FAINT (A-) Love flowing to this, Linkin Park's answer to pop anthems.
8. FIGURE.09 (A-) At this point in the CD we are hearing a blend of what we've heard, and never heard before. This is good.
9. BREAKING THE HABIT (B+) What is this?! It's super funky?! It's mellow?! It works!
10. FROM THE INSIDE (A-) I'm feeling alienated from this disc. I can't tell this one from the three before it. Yay for screaming bridges!
11. NOBODY'S LISTENING (A) Straight rap. Hated it at first. But I still couldn't get those "eastern" flutes out of my head. Now a fave, and good for break-dancing battles.
12. SESSION (C) Yes, Mr Hahn is talented- No, we don't care.
13. NUMB (A+) Redeams the whole album. One of the best songs I've ever heard. Makes me cry- almost.
on April 5, 2003
Linkin Park... a fine band, a talented outfit, whatever you call it these guys know what they do. Following up on Hybrid Theory, their 14 million selling masterpiece, LP have arranged a 13 track-albeit a 36 minute- sequel. It's nothing you haven't heard before. Basic song structures that we are all used to by now. Familiar song dynamics (exchanges between Mike Shinoda's rap and Chester Bennington's melodies). And lyrics of familiar nature. Yet Linkin Park has a gift. They know how to make this stuff tasteful and not overplayed. They know how to make good, catchy, honest music that is able to move the listener in every way. I believe that this album also displays a sort of transitional maturation. We are witnessing what will become of the next album. It will surely be more technical and complicated and hopefully at least half an hour longer. But I'm getting ahead of myself, the album's been out for 2 weeks. The highlights for me are "Easier to Run, Breaking the Habit, Figure.09, Numb" and "Hit the Floor". I found the single "Somewhere I Belong" the only tired song on this selection.
Honestly, I was disappointed with the lack of duration. 36 minutes is just not enough. Especially with this band's talent and integrity. I know for a fact they can make incredible music. I HIGHLY recommend obtaining or downloading Linkin Park's music before they were called Linkin Park. Hybrid Theory was their original monicker and that stuff was amazing as well. All in all, I have faith in this band. I feel they are going to encounter a musical milestone. Do as you see fit. This album is just more good stuff, nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy
on March 26, 2003
Linkin Park is great in my mind. They have what seems like infinite depth. The difference between Chester singing and Mike rapping exemplifies all the levels that their music reaches.
Hybrid theory was a breakthrough album that surprised me and I think everyone else who listened through it all the way for the first time. Its only problem was that it was so short.
With the production of Reanimation, Linkin Park remixed Hybrid Theory with a twist throwing down Hip Hop beats for most songs. It was great, and like Hybrid Theory I was surprised, in this case because I didn't expect them to be able to transform their old songs so drastically while still keeping the essence and attitude the originals had.
Now with the release of Meteora I was expecting a combination of Hybrid Theory's precision with Reanimation's length and style. Although I really do love the album, it is just too short. I bought the album, which at this point is a rare thing, and I don't regret it, but every time the album finishes, I really want more. I think all of the songs on the album are more or less flawless. Overall it isn't as intense as Hybrid Theory, but it packs a punch that not many other bands can match.
Props to Linkin Park because I think they really do put a lot into their music and because the final products thus far have been polished and awesome. They are one of my favorite bands but they need to start filling up their CD's. If you liked Hybrid Theory you will like Meteora just as much, but don't be dissapointed to see the length of the disc.
on December 5, 2004
I am an older fan, being over 40. I have a fairly ecclectic taste in music and generally I can find something I like in almost any genre. I am not big on old style country music or rap music, but other than that I have favorites in just about every music style.

To me a good album is one where you don't feel like you have to skip songs because you just can't stand them. There are very few albums that are chock full of good songs. Most have one to three songs that I like and the rest of the album ranges from bad to aweful.

Having said all that I have to say that this album is fantastic! There is only one song that is merely good, and the rest are very well done. You can tell that more than one of the band members like to engineer as much as play. I find it interesting that the soul of the band are the two engineers (Shinoda and Hahn) that met each other in art school. I think that says alot about what this band is about. They love what they are doing and it comes through in their music.

Despite the heaviness of the guitar-work in most of the songs, it is one of the cleanest and most precise sounding albums I have ever heard. The lyrics are probably meaningful to the younger crowd, but they are well thought out. The songs are different enough from each other to stay fresh and they are all very melodic and energy filled. Many of the songs are filled with in your face power and several are quieter and more thought provoking. The players in the band are maturing with life experience and it is showing in the feel of the songs.

It is a great sophmore effort and I can't wait to see what comes out of the next studio collaboration.
on March 26, 2003
First off, Linkin Park's original sceaming-dj-rap mix is back. That's right, Meteora is on the same plane as Hybrid Theory than it is with ReAnimation, so for those of you out there who were worried, do not fear.
True Linkin Park fans will love this CD, each track has such a deep meaning and there are no obscene lyrics or references to Bling-Bling as in those "other" raps. That's why most people like Linkin Park--they're stuff actually MEANS something.
Meteora itself is loud and deals with issues affecting everyone, not just primarily teenagers as Hybrid Theory was. Each song is individualy perfected and linked together (so no silent stops until the very end). Tracks like "Breaking the Habit" and "Numb" are very deep, and Chester fits them perfectly. There is only a few tracks that actually sound the same, and there is even one track that is so out of place that it strangely fits into place (insert Oriental Sampling). Other great tracks include "Session" which, once again, showcases Linkin Park's DJ techniques, "Don't Stay,"
However, Meteora does have one small tiny problem... its 36 minutes long. Each song estimates at roughly 3 mins--not bad, but with only 12 tracks, it begins and then ends in very short time. However, during that short time, you will grow to love the CD.
Longer, it would have warranted a 5, but with such great music in so little time, it gets a 4.
The originaters of rap-rock-dj-techno-anger have returned to dominate the world one more time.