4.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, Easy Read
Published on April 4, 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars NO Substance!
I think that there were 3 Verse citations in the whole book. No biblical support for almost every doctrine presented. This is just a flat statement of what Methodists believe with no support or reason. Made me decide not to be a Methodist.
Published 6 months ago by nezzar

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, Easy Read, April 4, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials (Paperback)
I am taking a very important step in my adult life, that is becoming a member of a methodist church. I approached my pastor regarding my interest and this was the book she refered me to. I was to develop questions for her after reading this, but I have found that most of my questions have been answered by the book. Those questions were about communion, baptism,and what would be expected of me partaking of this faith. The book also reveals those parts of the methodist churches (historic traditions),as seen through the eyes of John Wesley the founder of the methodist movement. The margins of the book are set up so that refering back to a specific article is quick and easy. The glossary and index were also very convienient and helpful for understanding some unfamilar terms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discipline with Less Discourse, January 23, 2004
This review is from: Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials (Paperback)
It would do this fine little volume an injustice to call it "The Book of Discipline Lite" but it does do a fine job of summarizing the big volume without forcing the uninterested party to plow through material about the United Methodist Church's administrative structure and procedures.

Don't expect a profound philisophical discourse on the similarities between Wesley's concept of "sanctification" and the Eastern Orthodox concept of "Theosis" in this book. But DO expect a nice, clean, concise history of the Methodist denomination, a good explanation of its eccumenicalism, a summary of Wesley's values, and all the promised essentials about what role communion, baptism, and clerical orders play in the modern UMC. The end of the book has a tidy summation of Wesley's "rules" and the general principles of the UMC.

For anyone thinking of joining a Methodist church, seeking information about Methodism, and for those Methodists who want a good, concise reference and explanation, this is THE book. Go hit that "add to my shopping cart" button if you fall into one of these categories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for understanding Methodist doctrine, July 31, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials (Paperback)
This is a well organized and factually based book on the Methodist doctrine. Being a Methodist for more than 35 years, I have never had a clear idea as to what Methodists really believe. This book has cleared up many misconceptions that I have had over the years and is strengthening my faith in the UMC. A good resource for both students and laypersons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, February 14, 2004
This review is from: Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials (Paperback)
Excellent, clear, well-written, comprehensive ... I've run out of adjectives attempting to describe this book. If you're looking for an excellent foundational book on Methodist Doctrine and Theology, go no further than Dr. Ted Campbell's fantastic book, "Methodist Doctrine." I've read a lot of books on the theological standards of the United Methodist Church, but this one really goes a long way toward answering almost any question in a way that is accessable to both pastor and lay person. Buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Understand, July 19, 2005
This review is from: Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials (Paperback)
Campbell's discussion of Methodist Doctrine is clear and well presented. He uses non-theological language to teach what could be complicated points. He gives references to support his statements. These could easily used for further reading. This is a good introduction which would make further study much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for Course of Study for Local Pastors - Excellent - Easy to Read, November 18, 2008
This review is from: Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials (Paperback)
I just completed a course in the Course of Study (COS). The COS is required seminary education for people like me who become pastors as a second career or those who do not have an MDiv degree. This book was one of three used for the class, Pastor as Interpreter of Wesleyan Theology. This book has very good information, written in a way that is very easy to comprehend, about Methodism. I believe if read along with Living Our Beliefs: The United Methodist Way by Kenneth L. Carder, also very easy to read, one would know almost everything about the doctrine of today's United Methodist Church.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ!, September 30, 2003
Chuck Brown "darkko" (Nashville,TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials (Paperback)
This book is small and isn't one inch thick! It is concise yet thorough. It is easy to read and has excellent explanations on Methodist doctrine. Highly Recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What is a Methodist?, July 8, 2013
This book we used in a study group. This really spells out the belief of a Methodist. I learned that Methodist according to the Doctrine only acknowledges to sacraments, not that we don't marry people or believe in confession, they are just not considered sacraments. If your wondering what you believe or what a Methodist is be sure to buy this book. It sure explained many things to me and I feel more comfortable about what I believe.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book to pass on to laity who are wondering ..., October 14, 2014
Hawley Rev (Hawley, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book to pass on to laity who are wondering just what Methodists believe. For the more adventurous I would encourage looking elsewhere for greater in depth study. This is not to negate the quality of the book nor the audience to whom Campbell writes. It's a good introduction to the subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Addition!, April 27, 2012
Methodist Doctrine - the Essentials, is a good addition to my library of United Methodist books. As I Lay Speaker I use them almost daily. Thank you Amazon, for the wonderful selection of EVERYTHING!

Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials
Methodist Doctrine: The Essentials by Ted Campbell (Paperback - April 1999)
Used & New from: $0.01