Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Metra 70-1721 Wiring Harness for 1998-2005 Acura/Suzuki/Honda Vehicles
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$4.70+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on July 31, 2011
I recently used this wiring harness to install a JVC KW-XR810 head unit in my 2002 Acura TL S-Type.

The wiring harness worked well and was easy to use. It was nice that all of the wires came pre-cut and ready to strip. The packaging also had a wiring guide on the back that explained what each wire's purpose was. This was helpful because all I had to do was match up the corresponding wires from the new head unit harness to the Metra harness.

To be clear, you technically do not need to purchase this harness. This harness wires to the wiring harness for your aftermarket head unit and then plugs into your car's wiring harness. The benefits of this wiring harness are that you do not need to cut into your factory wiring and that you can do all of your wiring while you are seated comfortably at a table inside your house and then just connect the plugs in the car. So, while you don't need this to do the job, it is definitely worth the money for the convenience and for the reduced chance of failure.

One thing I must point out is that this device is only wired to support 4 speakers (front L & R, rear L & R) so if your car has a factory subwoofer (i.e. a fifth speaker), this wiring harness will not support it. Also, I've looked around and there is not an aftermarket wiring harness out there that does support the subwoofer. Rather, what you have to do is run a RCA out of your new head unit and splice it into the subwoofer line for your car. There are plenty of "how-to's" floating around on the web. I was able to find one for my Acura TL and I have the factory subwoofer working now.

Overall, I would recommend this. It works perfectly and is great for the price.

-Cheers!
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
Bought his to install a Pioneer stereo on a 2000 Honda CR-V. Made the installation as easy as it could be. I would advise buying an extension cable for the antenna if you're installing a unit in a Honda though, since their antenna wire is ridiculously short.
on April 9, 2012
The connector/harness I received was fine, but I had to modify it to maintain steering wheel control. I had to remove one of the extra pins/wires and reinsert into pin 3 of the connector. This is pretty easy, and worked fine, but it would have been nice to have it work out of the box. I used this connector along with the Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface and a Clarion CX501. I installed this in my 2002 Acura MDX. Radio works great and steering wheel control is flawless.

An alternative to modifying the connector/harness is splicing into the steering wheel wire ahead before it goes into the Acura connector... but that defeats the purpose of having a harness. There may be other Metra harness that have steering wheel control for acura, but I didn't find them.
55 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2015
Great quality and pre stripped for your conference
review image
on May 16, 2015
Here's why.

Not as described or as pictured.
This is not a Metra product or it's a bulk product without the retail package which contains info you need to use it.
Here is the actual product. http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-1721
What I got had wires missing and in the wrong location.
The connector is specced from top left A1--A10 top right then bottom left A11--A20 bottom right looking from the pins side.
The photo shows a totally different connector with the wire for power in the correct location (A2) for my 2004 Honda Odyssey.
It's missing A3, A4 which on my vehicle I need. A11-A14 are also missing, but those are for the navigation unit which I do not have.
The power wire on the connector I received was in (A1). On my car that simply meant my stereo would not turn on.
On yours?

The wire can be removed by pressing a small flat head screwdriver in between the wire and the outer shell from the wire side of the connector. Be careful and do not tug hard. Then carefully press the wire into the location you need it.
It also does not have the wiring diagram on the back of the package, as the Metra harnesses do (there is no plastic package) so you have to guess as to what the function of each wire is unless you have the factory service manual or some other book or diagram to figure it out.
If you don't, even internet searches will not find what you need. Too much misinformation there.

In my case the wiring colors matched the harness from my Pioneer stereo.
Most will match, but all it takes is one non standard wire and poof, up in smoke.

Do yourself a favor and buy an actual Metra harness or at least check it carefully.
Nowhere does it say, no information included except for a review, but the reviewer says you don't need it. He's WRONG.
If you like taking chances with your new stereo believe him. If not check BEFORE wiring.
on December 24, 2015
Used this harness to connected Double Din 7" stereo Now Free WIRELESS Backup Camera Included 7-inch Double 2 Din TFT Screen WINDOWS CE 8.0 In-dash Car DVD Player with ,USB for Ipod/iPhone4/5s/6-input,navigation-ready GPS RDS + Free GPS Map SD Card
It is missing steering wheel two wires. I had to connect them separately not thru the harness. Metra should add them into empty pins. It is Pin 3 and Pin 11.
Used on 2007 Honda Odyssey EX.
review image
on February 3, 2014
This worked great with my honda 2002 accord. Color coding was a snap and the install took 20 minutes: just youtube the how to and you will be fine.
on May 20, 2011
The harness comes in a plastic package with a wire guide on the back. It is wired to the harness supplied with the radio, and provides a means to connect a new radio to the car's wiring system without making any splices.

It was extremely easy to match up the appropriate wires on this harness with the wires comming from the connector provided with the radio. Based on color and using the guides that came with the radio and on the back of this harness package, it was very simple: for example: white to white, white w/black stripe to white w/black stripe, etc. Since my vehicle doesn't have a powered antenna or amplifier, there were a few wires that were left unconnected.

My preferred method of connecting this harness to that which came with the radio was to strip both wires that needed to be connected together, slip some heat shrink tubing over one wire, twist the wires together, solder, and slip the tubing over the soldered connection, then to apply heat until the tubing shrinks down to the size of the insulation on the wires. The basic technique is shown here:
[...]
The result is an excellent mechanical and electrical connection.
on March 23, 2015
This wiring harness worked perfectly in my 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe for a aftermarket installation of a Pioneer DEH-X3500UI head unit. Everything wired up color coordinated, without a single hitch, would recommend to anyone looking to rid themselves of that horrible factory head unit. Also a side note, the tweeters that are in the door pillars still work after the installation of aftermarket speakers and a aftermarket head unit, to my surprise and joy. Even though the description for this lists that it will only operate 4 speakers on it, it successfully operated the 4 speakers plus the 2 tweeters off of it, with the addition of Metra 72-7800 Speaker Connector Harnesses as well.
on May 13, 2015
This wiring harness was very nice when I installed a Clarion CZ702 into my 2003 Honda Civic EX.The wires were sturdy, cut and ready for splicing and labeled on them for what their purpose was. I did not see that wire diagram was on the packaging when I installed this, but apparently it is. I just followed the matching colors and the indications on each wire which is printed as a "L. Front" or "Illumination". To make the jumper for my car took about an hour and 15 minutes but that's because I am a bit of a perfectionist and took my time. However, once installed it worked flawlessly.