Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$67.20 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 21, 2004
Format: Video Game
I remember when the hype for the first Gamecube Metroid was buzzing. All the talk about the fps mode, all the sneers and the scowls regarding not actually being able to see Samus...and then the game came out. And maybe I'm just looking in the wrong circles, but I haven't met a single person who disliked the first Metroid Prime. It was, for all intents and purposes, a perfect game.

From what I've played of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (I'm a little stuck at 9% in the Agon Wastes, and gamefaqs doesn't have anything up yet), I can definitely say its much of that same excellence with a little more added on for good measure. Once again, the most impressive aspect of the game seems to be the environments. Best example I've seen so far is the lightening that pours from the sky in the Wastes...lightening which can actually hurt you in the off chance that it does hit you. And the array of new enemies doesn't hurt the overall look of the game. But the real outstanding feature are the light and dark worlds, which are the "echoes" referenced in the title.

Reminescent of Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, every environment has its mirror image. The difference is that Aether's other half has a little bit of a goth complex, and as a result the enemies there are not only darker, but stronger. The environment is inhospitable to even Miss Aran, who is forced to hop from Luminoth beacon to beacon to minimize time in the miasma. Such is the life of a bounty hunter. And honestly, it gets a little irritating, but that's probably my biggest complaint. I will also agree with EGM's Shane that the plot seems like more of a Rare-style fetch quest than the average Metroid game, and nowhere near the incredible Metroid: Fusion plot. As for multiplayer, the experience hasn't been amazing. Fun for a while, as most multiplayer games are, but if you don't have a full group of people, you're going to get bored pretty quick.

But look on the bright side. The cinemas are brilliant, better than the first game (especially when Dark Samus gets into the fray). I wish I could provide feedback on a final boss and an ending, but I've still got some ways to go, and with a game like this, I gotta be honest...I wanna take my time and enjoy this.
on November 27, 2004
Format: Video Game
Intro: I'm sorry guys. I've been reading some reviews, and they are horrible. No one who wrote the reviews have even played it. And that guy who complained about the commercial- what does marketing have to do with a game? We know you're an xbox fan boy.

Review: Grade: *****

Why: Well, I startec the game up, and the first thing I liked about it was the music. Great music. I always find Metroid games to have great music. I played the 1 player game, and it was pretty good. You feel like you're actually facing a big challenge, even if you know what you are doing, which lacked in the first Metroid Prime game. The graphics are superb, and the controls are great. You can tell Nintendo liked the buttons from last time, because most of them did the same thing as they did in Prime. They added some new weapons too, that are good enough to get excited about. I'm not going to go around saying Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer is better than Halo 2, but it's pretty good. If for some reason you can't get Halo 2, or you're too young for it, Metroid Prime 2 is a great choice. I'll even go and say it's Story is better than Halo 2's. And that's why I give it a 5 out of 5.
on February 25, 2005
Format: Video Game
I have played every metroid game there is since the very first one, and this one does not lose it's originality in any way.

Starting out however, i did find myself questioning the areas and how unique they are, but after a short time I really found myself to liking the whole plot and the eerie Dark & Light lands.

The bosses are very cool and the game has just the right amount of challenge. The game is also very long, much longer than any other metroid game I have played. However I never even thought about thinking of saying that i was getting bored, the game stayed full all the way through and I'm still getting around to beating it on Hard mode.

I guess I would have to give this game 4.5 stars but i cannot do that cause it is not a choice, the reason i say 4.5 is because the music in this one I found not to be as good as all the other metroid games. However one track comes back from Super Metroid that brings back a great euphoric feeling, you'll see.

Do not believe that just because something is next-gen it cannot be classic and fullfill it's original tastes.

My favorite metroid games greatest to great:

1)Metroid Fusion (so eerie and i felt comfortably numb playing it)

2)Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (it's true beauty sneaks up on you)

3)Super Metroid (I find this to be the most classic to me, even more than the NES one)

4)Metroid Prime (start of a new breed)

5)Metroid II (ooo the good old days)

6)Metroid I (ooo the good old old days)

7)Metroid: Zero Mission (It's metroid, i love it no matter what, but i barely remember playing through this, the game must be beatable in about 1 hour)
on December 20, 2004
Format: Video Game
Many praised the first Prime as godlike and a modern masterpiece. The game was a beaut to look at but it was hard as hell and there was a lot of backtracking. Now the sequel comes and while it's not a failure on all fronts, the developers still haven't addressed some issues from the first one.

Story: What little story there is anyway. On the planet Aether, a race called the Luminoth is thriving, much like the Chozo on Tallon IV. They discover a massive meteorite is about to hit and when it does, the resulting energy causes a dimensional rip that provides 2 Aethers: Light and Dark. Afterwards, a Federation ship crash lands on Aether and a distress signal is sent to Samus. She must now stop the Ing, the race that occupies the Dark world.

Graphics: Improvements over the first one, which was beautiful anyway. Particle systems are better and levels seem more expansive. Bosses take up a huge chunk of the screen which makes it a bit annoying when you're trying to dodge.

Sound/Music: No voice overs except for Luminoth's weird voice(kinda like Zelda, no words just gibberish). The music is still the same: ambient textures with an otherworldly feel.

Gameplay: Basically the same as the first. 2 new visors: Dark Visor, allowing you to see objects and enemies that are in the dark world when you're in the light world. And the namesake Echo Visor, which looks like Ben Affleck's power from Daredevil. They took out some beams and added the Light and Dark beams, with get this: ammo. Instead of going nuts, you have to preserve your ammo, which got really irritating.

As for the difficulty, if you've never played the first one, I suggest you beat it first. At least then you'll know what to expect with this. For players who long for a harder difficulty, you'll enjoy this. For the rest of you, you will have your *** handed to you on more than one occasion. Even with standard enemies. One enemy early in the game took a huge chunk of my life with each hit and I wasn't even half an hour in.

I'd suggest renting first just to see if you're ready for the game cause this can seriously make you wanna throw your controller against the wall.
on September 8, 2004
Format: Video Game
To start off, I'm going to contradict what that other guy said about the Metroid series because from the sound of things he sucks at video games... First, Metroid was an excellent game for the day and the hardest part about it was getting some paper to write down the password. Then, Metroid 2 for the Game Boy was pretty good, but it had a few flaws... namely the story, there were no real bosses/mini-bossess till the end. Super Metroid is an excellent game, and one of the top ten SNES games, and I'm not trying ot sound like a best-game-of-all-time groupie, but face reality, that game was worthy of at least a 9.8/10. Metroid Fusion was short, which is a fact, but for the most part is was really fun, but the replay value is indeed extremely low. Metroid: Zero Mission, was just a redone version of the first Metroid with an extended ending where you get to run around with out your suit on, which is really cool. It is in no way confusing because when you get a new item, a stone Chozo character tells you where to go, as if that isn't giving the game away, but thankefully you can turn that option off if you get sick of it. Then there was Metroid Prime which was a fun 15 hours for me first time through, and I've played througha couple more times since I then, which was a few days after I acquired the game.

The new Metroid Prime game is fantastic. It's sheer brilliance, and the thought of giving this game a score below 4 stars (unless you dislike the Metroid series because the thought of a chick running around in a space suit kicking as* is against what video game principles you believe in which are that the main character has to have a red hat, or a gun, which makes you a video game trendy) is just an inane thought. I bet some of you are thinking, "Oh man, I hope they never make a movie out of this! I hope they make another redundant movie about drug king pins in the mid 1900s and movies that include Tom Cruise where he pretends to be some one he's not..." well, suck the big one cause it's being made, so all people who are fans of the series can rejoice over that.

Now if you've read all this, maybe you'll read a little further as to why I think the new Metroid Prime game is going to rule. First, the demo leaves the first MP game in the dust, and second the game concept is a slight copy of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but hey, that was also one of the ten best games...well, maybe 20 best games of all time, but still, it means new guns and new worlds which is a bonus. Plus there's the new multi-player mode function which is going to be awsome. So buy this game if you have fifty bucks, if not, well, mow some lawns before the snow falls, it's worth the effort (unless you have a steady job, save a few bucks).
on September 13, 2008
Format: Video GameVerified Purchase
So many of the reviews of this game focus on the fact that this is essentially another round of what the original Metroid Prime had to offer, but this is misleading. Metroid Prime was a beautiful recreation of the previous Metroid world in a 3D, first-person perspective world - it was more or less Super Metroid in a new format. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, on the other hand, is everything Retro Studios really wanted to offer - the game that can exist now that the original Prime has served as a bridge between the old Metroid world and the new. This is not to say the game strays from the Metroid style; it simply moves the Metroid world forward, something which hasn't happened to this series in all too long.

The enemies, powerups, locations, and gameplay are more interesting. The graphics are richer and more vibrant. The plot is deeper and more significant. The final product is more compelling. Basically everything has been improved in at least some small, subtle way.

You'll see how much more flushed out the game is the first time you reach the all-morphball-combat boss fight. This is just one example of the intelligent, challenging variety offered by Prime 2: echoes. This intelligence in game design is shown again the way each area becomes so much easier to traverse as you gain powerups. This was executed with much more skill than in the original, making backtracking less of a hassle. The scanning system has also been improved significantly with a more graphically pleasing and less cumbersome color coded system. Overall all of the more tiresome elements of the original prime have been mitigated if not completely corrected.

Add to all of this the inclusion of the Screw Attack (wonderfully executed, though later perfected in Prime 3: Corruption) which was absent from the original Prime. Tapping the B button that third time and watching Samus slip out into third person is a true pleasure - and there is a creative, new underwater twin to this ability too which you will find earlier in the game.

A multiplayer option is also present, but should be treated as a fun, unimportant extra - it isn't groundbreaking but sure doesn't hurt the game either, and hey, we were all wondering where it was in Prime 1 anyway, so stop complaining.

All told I love where the developers went with this game. I've never written an Amazon review before but felt this game deserved a clear statement of its superiority to the original Metroid Prime. Highly recommended.
on November 18, 2004
Format: Video Game
If you loved the award winning Metroid Prime for GameCube then you will adore the follow-up. Taking a tried and true formula from a classic SNES title called The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, MP2Echoes uses a Light/Dark World theme. This allows for cross world puzzle solving and some amazingly unique locales. The control setup is identical to its predecessor, and the HUD (Helmet display) is pretty much the same. No need to remaster new controls, just hop in and go.

Graphically the engine was rewritten from scratch. It looks lightly different but not a large gulf of difference. It does push the Cube to its limits in many ways with ginormous bosses and no slowdown. The game features a lot more cut-scenes and lore to explore with log files from dead soldiers and computers found throughout the games large areas. Space pirates are low key in this one but still they are in here trying to kill you any chance they get.

There is a lot more wild life and curved terrain thanks to the fantastic engine. The plot also moves a long a lot faster than the orginal which makes for a more pleasant trek. You get to battle a dark version of Samus throughout and also traverse giant mechanical fortresses. There is a lot of variety and the music is "to die for" good.

All in all the MP2E is a solid First Person Adventure with shooting components, puzzles, ginormous bosses, a variety of lifeforms, lots of weapons/suit upgrades, tones of secrets to explore, fantastic music and real atmosphere. A must buy for the serious gamer.
on May 27, 2006
Format: Video Game
The first time I tried to play this game, I absolutely hated it - I had just beaten Prime 1 on normal mode and wanted to jump right into this game. The game is much more challenging than Prime I, so I got extremely frustrated with it. I gave up on it for a while and didn't think I'd ever come back to it. Recently, though, I played through Prime 1 again on normal mode, then again on hard mode, and then went to Echoes. THAT time, Echoes was absolutely amazing. If you found Echoes too difficult, I strongly recommmend playing through Prime 1 on hard mode and then trying to tackle this game. Now, hard mode on Echoes is very difficult, but worth it. Once I adjusted to the difficulty, I found this game very entertaining - it's longer than Prime, but it's a great continuation of the storyline. Now I'm ecstatic for Corruption on Wii to see how the series ends. If you enjoyed Prime, you'll love Echoes, so long as you can adjust to the difficulty.
on November 20, 2005
Format: Video Game
I've been a huge Metroid fan as long as I can remember. My love for the series started way back in the day when my father brought home the original Metroid for the NES. My love for the series continued to grow thereafter. Metroid II was fun little addition to the Gameboy and Super Metroid is still, too this day, the best game ever made. These three games defined my childhood. Then it happened, 9 long years without a Metroid game. I thought the series was done for good, but then... Metroid Prime.

I was ecstatic. I simply couldn't control myself. I preorded the game months before release and left school early the day of release to get it as early as possible. Upon arriving home I proceeded to play the game. Oh and did I play it. I played it nearly non-stop till I finished it and upon finishing Metroid Prime my mind was made up. Metroid Prime was somewhat of a letdown.

To this day I can't tell you why I felt let down. I truly can't quite say the exact cause. Maybe it's the map system that babied me the entire way through the game. Maybe it was the lack of original gadgets. Whatever the reason was I think the biggest problem was the lack of challenge. By Challenge I mean both mentally and physically. By physically I mean the challenge level of combat within the game. I just didn't get it. I finished the game without dying and I rarely felt like I was mentally challenged during the course of the game. Well, in the end I pushed the game aside and moved on with my life.

Well two years later Metroid Prime 2 comes out. I wasn't exactly thrilled about the game but I ended up buying it sometime in early January. After about a half hour into this game I was blown away...

This is the best game I have played in years! Everything about it is perfect from the subtle but well created music to the extremely detailed world. The new weapons in the game are original and fun to use. The puzzles are complex and very rewarding. My favorite aspect of the game is the richly detailed zones. Each is unique with fitting music, flora, and fauna which are all beautifully rendered in the game. The world just drags you in and makes you feel like you are a part of it. The pointer system, has been improved too. Although you will still be told where to go, it doesn't happen nearly as much now. Only when you steer way off course and are clearly taking longer then you should to progress will the game point you. Also it only gives you a general idea of where you should be and does not water down the challenge in any way.

Speaking of challenge this game is perfect. Nearly every game on the marked is either too hard or too easy. I say again, Metroid Prime 2 has the perfect challenge level. The puzzles are very challenging yet not so hard that you can't finish them without some thought. The difficulty of combat is right on par too. Nearly every boss will take more then one try but rarely more then two. Just the right amount if you ask me.

All in all, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes delivers on ever level. Engrossing well placed music, richly detailed worlds with a level of immersion you rarely find else ware. This, along with a level of difficulty that is perfect makes Metroid Prime 2 one of the best video games of all time.
Format: Video Game
In 2002, Nintendo unveiled a game of such vision, complexity, and stunning visual detail that it shook the gaming world to its core. In a time when Xbox and Playstation 2 games were running away with the market and widely considered to be far superior to anything Nintendo put out, this game rose above it all to become one of the most popular console games of the past decade and even achieving the coveted title of GameSpot Magazine's 2002 "Game of the Year" honor (for ALL platforms, not just Nintendo). That revolutionary game was "METROID PRIME".

Two years later, the time has come for the much-anticipated sequel to that seminal video game. Just this past November, "Metroid Prime 2: Echoes" hit the market just in time to quell the hunger of Samus Aran fans nationwide who had their appetites hopelessly whetted by its predecessor. With all this pressure of having to live up to the standard set by "Metroid Prime", the burning question becomes, "How well does `...Echoes' stand up?" While not being quite mold-breaker of the original, "Metroid Prime 2: Echoes" holds up quite well.

The story, in brief, leads Samus, our intrepid bounty hunter, to the planet, Aether. Initially in pursuit of a quarry, Samus ends up involved in a much deeper and far more dangerous struggle as Aether struggles with a rift torn in time that has torn the planet between two dimensions, light and dark. It is up to Samus to travel between the two dimensions to recover the stolen energies that caused the rift and to close the rift for good. All the while, she is followed and mocked by an adversary who looks very familiar.

The true strength of "...Echoes" is in its stunning graphics, which even surpass the incredible visuals of "Metroid Prime". The attention to detail is so great and realism so present that the player feels more like a part of this game than in any that have come before. The concept of traveling between the Light and Dark Aether worlds, while initially difficult to adjust to, proves to be a tremendous asset because is forces the player to adopt different strategies based on which realm Samus is in (i.e. the atmosphere on Dark Aether is poisonous and Samus can only seek shelter within small fields of light crystals). The degree of challenge is right up there with the previous game and conclusion of the final battle leaves one feeling quite satisfied. The addition of light and dark crystal weapons, while not very practical, are also a nice touch.

Alas, there are some weaknesses to "...Echoes" that leave it a step below the original. One of the most glaring is how it seems that some missions are just plain tedious and take forever to accomplish, despite not involving a high degree of challenge. The beauty of "Metroid Prime" was that even random explorations of the various aspects of Chozo provided a visual treat that created a very robust gaming experience. "...Echoes" has more of a bare-bones feel to it that leaves the player just wanting to rush from one mission to the next to finish the game as quickly as possible, instead of taking in the full experience. This pattern continues with a number of the enemies and bosses that are faced. Defeating them seems more like a chore than a challenge.

The overall structure of the game feels a bit more out of focus than in the original. The maps overlap and confuse much more than they help (a marked difference from the first when the maps were an tremendous help). In addition, the dearth of save stations through the game proves exceptionally frustrating when a player has to go way out of their way to save the game or risk losing all their progress by forgoing it and losing a life in a tedious manner later on.

This quibbles aside, "Metroid Prime 2: Echoes" still stands strong next to its older brethren and more than leaves the diehard Samus Aran fan's appetite whetted for future installments.