Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Color: Metallic Red|Change

on October 29, 2002
Product represents a good value for this type of corkscrew. We've had it for about a month now, and used it to open more bottles of vino than I care to admit! Never had any problem with a bottle of red (served at room temp), but have had some difficulty with chilled whites (cold corks harder to pull), and it simply refuses to pull artificial corks (perhaps on principle!!) overall, a good gizmo. motivates you to stick with good quality reds. with the reds it's been a 5-star performer.
0Comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2008
I was really surprised at all the negative or lukewarm reviews until I looked at the dates: these are mostly from 2002-2003, and the most recent one I saw was 2004. Half a decade later, the Houdini is MUCH improved. Mine is a champ, and opens every bottle flawlessly and quickly. I drink wine EVERY DAY, so it has to work continuously, and it does. While some five-year old reviews talk of wobblies or weak joints, this is no longer true. The 2008 Houdini is solid! It also now comes with it's own case (rubber handle retainer included), so you don't have to worry about storage issues. I'm a hard-core wine aficionado, and this is a superb opener. I can't think of any way they could improve it.
VINE VOICEon March 3, 2003
I bought this as a gold box offer because I was tired of the old cork screws (the ones with the arms that you use to pull a cork). I've had to many cork failures with all the other types I've used.
This unit makes it easier to hit the middle of the cork every time. All you do is grab the top of the bottle is grip of the opener, and lift the arm. This drives the screw into the cork for you. Then you just push down on the same lever and the cork comes out---intact (every time for me). It sometimes requires a slight pull, but this is minor.
It also comes with a foil cutter, which works well also.
on February 13, 2012
We bought this corkscrew because the product descriptions states "The Houdini achieved 20,000 cork pulls in an independent lab test. The warranty on this item is 5 years".

Those statements say, at least to us, its constructed to last a long time and has a warranty to back it up. Well, as it turns out our interpretation of that statement was way off.

After having and using the Houdini for approximately 90 days one of the handles broke off. Ninety Days is well short of the 5 year warranty period and certainly short of the laboratory 20,000 pulls. Do the math, to get to 20,000 pills in 90 days we would have to open 10 bottles of wine every hour of every day.

We looked it up and see it has a 5 year warranty. Once again we think "great", maybe this was just defective and we can get it replaced, wrong again.

The Metrokane warranty requires that we send the broken one back to them at our cost along with a payment of $7.50. Let's think about this, I paid $27 for it originally and it breaks after very little use and now in order for me to get it replaced under their warranty I have t spend more than half the purchase price.

Let's just say we will not buy another Metrokane product again.
on January 11, 2011
Avoid this product!!! We have had three Houdinis in the past 18 months. The first one worked great for several months, then it began to jam. I bought a second one that worked great for a shorter time span; now it jams off and on.

Right before Christmas we bought a third one, because the second one was becoming unreliable. My husband and I deliberated before buying the third Houdini, since the life spans of the two previous purchases had been rather short. I finally convinced him to get the third Houdini, saying, "You know that when they work, they work extremely well. What are the odds that we'll get another bad one?" Plus we could see that this one has a more open configuration that we took to be a redesign to correct the flaw that causes the older models to jam.

Well, we got home and it didn't work AT ALL. So we contacted MetroKane and were told they would send a replacement, but we'd have to pay to ship it to them, costing probably around $5, PLUS send them $10 for shipping and handling. So basically, we would be out $15 in order to receive another Houdini that will only work for a few months. I asked for my money back, but was told "no."
on March 21, 2008
This corkscrew is a god-send. I have arthritis in both hands and wrists; opening a bottle of wine was both difficult and painful. With this device it is as easy as cutting through soft butter. And better yet, no struggling to get the screw out of the cork. It removes the cork from the bottle, then slick as can be, removes the cork from the corkscrew. What more could one ask for?
on September 24, 2002
I am 76 years young, but have had a 6 by-pass open-heart surgery. My cardiologist has insisted that I drink red wine everyday, so you can imagine how many corks I have popped over 9 years.
I had massacred the corks until I tried "Corkpops" opener. You may or may not know that this opener has a long sharp needle on it that you hand insert into the center of the cork, push all the way down, then press the button that inserts gas into the bottle which then forces the cork out. This actually works fairly well, but I (we) feel that it is dangerous because of the sharp needle, and the 'not so good' eyesight at our age.
Tried to get our daughter and her son to use it and they said NO, that the gas ruined the taste of the wine, and also they might stick their finger with the needle.
Needless to say that when I got an unsolicited offer from Amazon.com to try (buy) the Metrokane Houdini Corkscrew I bought it immediately.
Couldn't be happier. Do not have to ever buy gas refills again.
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2010
The Houdini handles are made from cheap, coated plastic. To make the Houdini appear well built for in-store purchases they actually include a piece of concrete inside the plastic case to make it feel like the entire thing is metal. Simply remove the backing and you'll find dead weight. I wish they would have just spent the money to make the handles out of metal instead of wasting the effort in the package. The opener is okay for the price but I doubt it will last that long.
on September 7, 2012
I would have given this product NO stars, but Amazon requires me to give at least one star. It isn't worth even that. I had read all the reviews of this product before ordering it, and was aware that some folks had had problems. But, most of the reviews were positive, so I went for it. It turns out that it is flimsy, mostly lightweight plastic; the worm housing is unstable in use, and the handles that grasp the bottle neck are hollowed out plastic -- pretty cheap. I worried that it might not be up to the job. In use, I've found that it will pull easy corks from cheap bottles of wine, and it does do the job pretty quickly. But, I have to really struggle to get longer, tight corks out. Today, pulling a tight cork, the lever handle broke right off. Turns out there's only a metal core in the first couple of inches of that handle; the rest is plastic. This device is not built to do the job, and I agree with previous critics who have labelled it a "piece of junk." I've gone back to my old, reliable wooden German corkscrew; does the job every time, though it does take a few seconds longer. Would not advise anyone to buy this Rabbit corkscrew. And, I'm just going to throw it out since I've learned from other comments that the warranty also is functionally useless.
on November 6, 2006
This is a well made corkscrew with a fantastic design. It is so easy to uncork a bottle of wine and only takes a little bit of strength...I no longer have to go searching for my husband when I want to open a new bottle. The only drawback is that it doesn't fit in my utensil drawer so I've got it stashed away with my appliances.