4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, fast, not perfect (but close)
I originally bought this corkscrew as a gift, but wound up keeping it, and I admit I've bought more wine than usual lately just to play with it.
Published on January 29, 2001 by Matt Saunders

1.0 out of 5 stars Update to "Pretty Good"
After using this device for a few more months, and being *very* careful and gentle with it, I find I can no longer recommend it.
I've used the several new screws Metrokane sent back after the last "repair."
Published on March 6, 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, fast, not perfect (but close), January 29, 2001
Matt Saunders (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metrokane Rabbit Corkscrew with Foilcutter, Black (Kitchen)
I have to say, my favorite thing about it is the foil cutter, strange though that may be. The foil cutter is shaped like an oversized bottle cap, and you fit it over the top of the bottle, squeeze, and turn. The foil comes off cleanly just above the little ridge usually found around the mouth of the wine bottle. Very clean-looking and much easier than using the often dull blade on a waiter's corkscrew.
The corkscrew itself is very nice as well. It is a little bulky, but it is amazing how fast you can open a bottle of wine with it. Line it up, pull the lever forward, push it back, et voila. Forward and back once more and the cork is free of the screw. No gripping the bottle with your knees while pulling at the cork or anything like that; you don't need to use a lot of effort, just a firm hand.
One thing that surprised me is the fact that it often spits little crumbs of cork into the bottle, which then wind up in my glass. It seems that the screw is long enough to go all the way through the cork, and when it exits the bottom of the cork, sometimes a little bit of cork gets spit out. I guess you can be careful not to let this happen, but still it happens to me more than I would like.
So all in all, not the perfect corkscrew, but fast and easy to use, and cute as well--a trait few corkscrews share. Stock up on wine, because people will want to try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware - or be cautious..., September 9, 2006
I've had one for nearly 6 years and it finally died (the rabbit died)...

What caused it's demise? Well, I've gone through 2 worms (the spiral thingie that penetrates the cork) and now after getting a new worm still can't open a bottle of wine.

Here's what the issue is, the worms are coated with a slick (Teflon?) coating that wears off over time. Also in the top of the cap that holds the worm in the device is a single ball bearing that is supposed to allow the worm to do its thing to the corks upon penetration (it allows the worm to turn under preassure).

Well some of these new fake corks made of plastic are much harder then both real cork corks and most of the foam plastic corks (if you want an example of one, try St Francis Winery & Vineyard bottles) and they take the slippery finish off the worm rather quickly and take a great amount of force to penetrate the 'cork'.

Their 'cork' seal is like a plastic capsule filled with some kind of compressed foam and the damn things seem to be very hard on the Rabbit... Needless to say, after a case and a half of that wine over time (the wife likes the Claret) the Rabbit is dead. The ball doesn't turn in the top of the cap over the worm and while you can get the worms very easily, the cap isn't available, as far as I can tell. I've had to resort to the brute force Screwpull and Xyliss that I had as backups.

The Rabbit has a 10 year warranty and I've thought of sending it in and seeing what happens.

I'd definately recommend having a backup screw around for those crazy fake 'cork' bottles like St Francis... Kenwood switched to a foam filled vinyl sleeve 'cork' and those are a breeze with the Rabbit but if you're too quick you might actually push it into the bottle (Hint to St Francis)...

A great cork screw, if only all the wineries still used real cork 'corks' and not these high tech plastic blasphemous abominations...

1.0 out of 5 stars Update to "Pretty Good", March 6, 2002
By A Customer
I've used the several new screws Metrokane sent back after the last "repair."
The problem always first occurs when trying to remove the cork from the device after it has removed the cork from the bottle. You begin operating it in reverse but it does not release the cork, it only seems to bend and distort the screw.
Perhaps Metrokane should have replaced the mechanism when first sent in for repair. I had some doubts at that time that the two ends of the tool were still properly aligned; but Metrokane chose to send it back to me with 2 new screws, both of which now are ruined.
I don't think I did anything to abuse or misuse it.
I think Metrokane should rework the design of the mechanism or actually repair it when returned by customers.
I no longer recommend it. It's too expensive to be this unreliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - With a Little Trick, November 29, 2004
I've used my Metrokane Rabbit Corkscrew for four years several times each week and it works great. I've read reviews that some users get frustrated if the screw comes up without the cork. (Well of course). But there's no need to send it back or do any tweaking. There's a simple trick to solve this. After you drive the screw into the cork, grasp the bottle firmly in one hand and turn the clamped Rabbit a quarter turn or so clockwise. This will "start" the cork upward along the screw and out ot the bottle. Now pull the lever back and up it comes ... every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny..., January 30, 2002
"mandylev" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Coming from a woman who loves to throw dinner parties, isn't afraid to cook just about anything and yet never quite is able to open the darn wine bottle, this product is superb!!! I have often poked corks down into the wine out of sheer frustration and this little number opens the bottle with ease in less than 30 seconds. It is amazing and makes a great gift to others or to yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Customer Service, July 8, 2003
"ferncarter" (West Jordan, UT United States) - See all my reviews
What customer service? I sent my Rabbit corkscrew back to Metrokane in NY and after not hearing from anyone after a month, I tried contacting the company. But no one every returns emails, or phone calls, regardless of how many times you call and leave messages. I am thinking about filing a complaint with NY's better business bureau. Their website talks about having the best warranty on the market, but if they don't stand by their warranty, what good is it?

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, December 1, 2001
By A Customer
The first couple times I tried this device I was amazed at just how easily it could extract a cork.
When I first got it and examined its mechanism, I couldn't convince myself it should work at all; it looked like what it would do is screw itself into the cork and simply unscrew itself again as you tried lifting it, but its little "transmission" takes care of that.
However, I did have a problem with mine after about 2 months. Suddenly, it was getting harder and harder to remove corks, and it would no longer release the cork the way it's supposed to, so I sent it back to Metrokane. In about 30 days they sent it back with 2 new screws and it works fine again.
What do I think caused the problem? I'm fond of an Aussie Chardonnay that puts a thin yellow plastic disk on top of the cork in lieu of a foil. I would drive the screw through it and the cork and I think after a while it messed up the screw, distorting it. If I remove the little disk first, the screw penetrates, removes, and releases the cork effortlessly every time.
A pretty good device though somewhat expensive. Metrokane came through when it needed repair. I recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lousy/no customer service for inoperative corkscrew, February 22, 2002
I got the Metrokane Rabbit Corkscrew for Christmas. It worked some of the time, but only would remove the corkscrew from the bottle and not subsequently remove it from itself, though it is supposed to do so. Sometimes the screw (they call it the "worm") would go into the cork and just screw itself back out without bringing the cork along. I contacted Metrokane and was told to send it back for repair or replacement. I paid more than 10% of the original cost to package and send it back UPS. It then came back to me with the worm removed but a new one in a sealed plastic bag was enclosed. A form letter said the worm was worn and they've sent a new one. I installed the worm and have had the same problem. It still doesn't work. The fact that they didn't intall the worm before sending it back indicates to me they didn't check out the corkscrew to see if it worked with the new worm. And I had enclosed a detailed description of the problem.
Now, they say I have to ship it back to them, yet again at my expense. I asked for a shipping label and they said NO WAY, becuase they're a small company. That means I'll be out more than 20% more than the already hefty price of this thing. Macy's was willing to take it back till they realized they no longer carry it. It was only a Christmas promotion item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this corkscrew!, February 12, 2002
By A Customer
I have very little strength in my hands, and I have always found it difficult to open wine bottles. I used the Ah-So corkscrew for years, but it wasn't working for me as well as it used to. The "rabbit" does it all in seconds - easily, quickly and without muss or fuss. It's a great wedding or shower gift, too. I can't imagine what life like would be without it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!!, November 27, 2002
Eleanor Wolf (SAINT PETERSBURG, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Yes, when new this works like a dream...then, slowly, it gets harder and harder until it literally takes two people to get the cork out! At first you think it is the cork and that some wineries use tough corks...then it hits you: It's the d--- corkscrew! So you go to their web-site to find out what's wrong and it's not there so you e-mail their customer service dept. and ask them what to do. They don't answer your e-mail so a week or so later you e-mail them again and AGAIN they don't answer you, SO WHAT YOU DO NEXT IS WRITE THIS REVIEW!!! It seems the screw loses it's slickness and you need to keep replacing them, well try to find one!

Metrokane Rabbit Corkscrew with Foilcutter, Black