4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent flash for the money
I was looking for an external flash instead of using the built in flash for my Pentax K100D. I looked at the Pentax flash options but felt this Metz offered more features for the money. I have only had it for a couple of days so these are my early perceptions.

The Flash is built well. Made in Germany, (which is refreshing these days)

Uses NIMH AA...
Published on April 15, 2011 by DigitalEagle

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to start with
Published 17 months ago by Kelly G Hawthorne

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent flash for the money, April 15, 2011
DigitalEagle (Daytona Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 Digital Flash for Pentax Cameras (Electronics)

The Flash is built well. Made in Germany, (which is refreshing these days)

Uses NIMH AA batteries which is a plus. They are cheap, give long life, and are easy to recharge.

Instructions are very well written for a technical product.

Works flawlessly on my K100D. I simply put it in TTL mode and shot pictures. The zoom works automatically and exposure seems to be right on the money.

Great tilt and swivel capability for a flash in this price range.

I really like the USB port - to update the firmware and essentially "future proof" the flash.

Came very well packaged which is good as the USPS did their best to try to destroy it.

The flash has tons of options. (Including wireless slave mode, strobe, manual, etc.)

A couple of minor negatives -:

The LCD display is nice but hard to read. The contrast isn't that great and some of the function fonts are way too small. It does light up, but it is still difficult to read even with the light on. Makes me wonder why they made such a large LCD and then put tiny fonts for the options and controls.

The Flash is quite heavy with the 4 AA batteries in it.

I took a star off for the LCD read out. I'm hoping they can fix this with a firmware update.

Overall I am very pleased with this flash and would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid professional equipment, October 16, 2011
I puzzled between the Metz flash for my Pentax K-X camera and others,
including the Pentax model. Over a 50-year career as a news photographer, I have used up / worn out many small strobes. The Metz
is solidly made, consistent, flexible. Controls may be a little complicated for my dinosaurian film-camera experience, but the camera is equipped with a USB port for after-purchase updating, which I think is remarkably thoughtful. For the small differences in price between other flash units for this camera, I think I have made a high-value purchase decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metz 50 AF-1 working great with my K-x!, January 18, 2012
I've been searching a decent external flash for my K-x for a while. I finally chose this unit over Pentax AF 360 FGZ Flash for the following reasons:

1. same price but more features;
2. Made in Germany - quality guaranteed (it's like Made in Japan);
3. firmware upgradeable;

Having tested for a couple of days, I've found it easy to use (this is my first external flash, and I'm not a pro), either on-camera or off-camera. The wireless funtion works very well.

Firmware was 1.0, and current version for Pentax is 2.0, update is super easy, just download it from metz.de, and follow the instruction. It does NOT come with a USB cable (but you can find one around you easily).

I think I've got a great value flash unit, money well spent!

Thank you for reviewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amateur happy with it after a year, September 12, 2012
Scott Lamb (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I use this with my Pentax K100D. As another reviewer mentioned, it works very well with that camera, or presumably any other Pentax camera. (In contrast, the Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 did not work as well; while the 44 has many of the same features as the 50, the 44 doesn't have on-flash controls, and the K100D doesn't have a mechanism to turn on such features as the rear curtain flash or modeling light. See my review of the 44 for details.) And it's convenient that the flash takes the same spare batteries (4 AAs) as the Pentax K100D. (Likewise, the Pentax K30D I've been eyeing has an adapter to take 4 AAs).

I'm a complete amateur so the price tag deterred me from buying a nice flash for a long time, but I've had this one for over a year and am still think it was a good purchase. I take a lot of unposed indoor photos of friends, and before I had to choose between grainy (high ISO speeds), out-of-focus (slow/inaccurate autofocus in low light combined with the shallow depth of field of a wide-open lens), dark (exposure adjustment), or lit in unnaturally shadowless cool light with reflective foreheads (on-camera flash). This is particularly true with the aging K100D, but even more modern cameras with better autofocus and high-ISO performance have the same problem to some extent. With the Mecablitz's tilt and swivel, I can easily bounce the flash off the ceiling to provide more natural-looking yet bright light. I also added a velcro strap and gels to provide warmer light when desired (often). My photos are much better as a result. The modeling light feature also comes in handy to see the light produced with my own eyes rather than through the relatively small camera back LCD. I use the other, fancier features rarely but they appear to work as advertised.

This flash is well-built and seems to have all the features of the more expensive Pentax AF360FGZ and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice flash, April 9, 2012
GNG "George" (M.Grove ILL USA) - See all my reviews
The flash is nice and strong build with metal shoe. It has enough power and futures. Thanks to the others reviewers, who said about the Pentax flash that it is little flimsy build, and it is not chip as well, I bought this one instead of Pentax 360 FGZ.
If you buy it you will read the book, but to chose some of the options from the menu,(and there is the most important for me - the wireless operation), has to be pressed the two buttons "+" and "-" at ones, which was hard for me with one or two hands. I mean the buttons are small and too close for thicker fingers. I wish to have one more button for this menu, or set up this function on the two end buttons.
I did not study it well, but one thing I was not able to figure is - when the flash is of camera and set in wireless mode it dos not zoom. It stay only on 24mm focal length.
Going to contact to the company.
Also for the owners, hos going to remove the flash for the first time from the camera - push the flash down to to the camera shoe, and then pull it out. It is not written at the manual.
Will get back if any updates.
George

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to start with, January 28, 2013
Kelly G Hawthorne (Fort Payne, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I had some good luck with the flash to start with, so much so I bought an identical version for my Canon. But the experience is not identical. The main difference in this one is with off camera flash. With this unit it defaults to TTL, which is the film version of Pentax TTL, the digital camera version is called PTTL. When you start the camera in any format, it starts out in either manual or TTL. To go to PTTL, which you have to use in any Pentax made in the last 8 years or so, you have to mount the flash on the hotshoe and turn on the camera and press the shutter button halfway down. This puts it in PTTL mode, but if you are using it off camera, you still have to mount it, put it in PTTL mode, and then unmount it and then put it on your bracket. You have to make sure the flash doesn't go into sleep mode while off the bracket or you have to start all over again. This process is tedious and should be streamlined. I have had problems with it communicating properly even while on the hotshoe with my camera when the flash batteries get low. I have had none of these issues with the Metz made for my Canon. Overall though it has made some fine exposures, and when PTTL works it blasts TTL out of the water. Pricewise, this is middle of the pack for Pentax digital flashes, and this is the only one I have had, so I cannot compare it to another Pentax ready PTTL flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelente, December 26, 2012
A really good flash for your money, I just update the firmware up to 3.0, is working just fine with my k5

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for the price, November 12, 2012
Although it is intended to interface with the Pentax K series of digital cameras (among others), the TTL (through the lens) functions do not seem to work as well as the Pentax AF540-FGZ dedicated flash that it replaced. I bought it as a replacement at the last minute, and may still not have figured out all the ins and outs, so I'll leave my remarks at that.

It's a heckuva flash at the price, however, and I'm sure I'll find it satisfactory once I get used to its quirks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great flash, except for firmware update issue, January 26, 2012
I got this Metz 50 AF-1 (Pentax) Mecablitz flash for my Pentax K-5. Other than the following issue, this flash is excellent, well-made, and worked as designed, being compatible with the K-5. However, when attempting to update the firmware (via a mini-USB cable), I had this issue: After downloading/unzipping the Metz 50 AF-1 Firmware Update Pentax (Windows), and d-clicking the Driverinstall.exe., I got a "Successful" message in the DOS window. Per instructions from Metz, I then attached the flash (with charged Sanyo Ni-MH 1.2 V eneloop batteries) to my PC via a mini-USB cable, turned it on, and ran the update. I got the error msg: "No FDTI drivers installed! Please install these first this driver". Contacting Metz/Manfrotto about this, they requested I send the flash to them for testing, but since it was within the 30-day return policy, I decided to return the unit. Now, I am debating on getting the same unit again, versus a different brand, however, I did like the functionality, power, and versatility of this Metz flash!

Rate and Discover Movies