Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 30, 2010
Great little knife.
I've been dubious of the neck knife concept for some time; while I still doubt it's usefulness in a self defense situation, I was pleasantly surprised at it's utility and convenience.

I wore it on a 2 day canoe fishing trip on a gutted 550 lanyard (you'll want to replace the flimsy, thin cord it comes with) and seemed to be using the thing every 5 minutes. In cramped quarters, unable to reach pockets, one handed, in the dark, it was always right where I needed it.

About the knife itself.

Pros:
-LIGHT. Even working and sweating, it was never uncomfortable; in fact I barely noticed it was there.
-Took a decent edge and held it better then I'd expected from the price range.
-Price - for the number of uses and the functional design, the the <$10 price is fantastic.
-Aggressive checkering gave me a secure grip, even when wet.
-Retention strength in the sheath is exactly where I wanted it - never came close to falling out, but don't have to lean on it to remove it.
-Great addition for a entry level go-bag; I'd grab it on my way out the door to a survival type situation.

Mixed:
-Handle is small enough to leave 2 fingers (of my large hands) behind. I added a knotted 2" cord to the hole at the base of the handle and it helps somewhat. For a fighting or utility knife this would be irksome, but for something intended to be concealable, it's the name of the game.

Cons:
-My greatest concern is the tang. It's hard to tell, but from the weight it seems that the tang doesn't extend very far into the handle. While it's hard to get a lot of leverage, I'm afraid eventually the plastic may fail and the blade and handle could separate. I'll report my findings if it ever does.
-Build quality is not fantastic - had to trim a few injection lines. For the price, entirely reasonable.
-Checkering and the lip at the opening of the sheath may dig into your skin if you wear it under a tight jacket or lay on it for extended periods. I shaved down the lip and smoothed out the sheaths checkering on the side I wear against my skin just in case, (took all of about 2 minutes and no tools) but even against bare skin it never gave me any discomfort.

Summary:
Extremely useful little knife.
Might make a great gift for a hard to shop for outdoorsy type, 'knife person' or someone interested in survival; it may be a useful little tool, or it may turn into one of the few things they never head to the country without.
on August 27, 2014
Small..... must be EXTREMELY careful your hand doesn't slide over the blade causing a emergency situation to become a life threatening injury to yourself. A injured hand in the wilderness could cause your quick demise. A good suggestion would be to change out the neck chord with parachord. Besides these concerns, the NeckLance does what it needs to do...... it waits silently, always ready to take care of business. Like the deadly Fer-de-lance.
on December 18, 2012
I carried this around as a necklance for quite a while. It's really good in that role. This knife isn't going to cut through anything so if that's why you're getting it, you should look around some more. This knife was made for stabbing and that's exactly what I bought it for. The sheath that it comes in holds it VERY securely. I've never once had it come out unintentionally, and to be quite honest, I've had to give it a second yank a couple times to actually get it out. Definitely no worries when it comes to it being secure. The only reason I stopped carrying it is because I switched over to a Ka-Bar, which I now carry as a necklance. This knife isn't bad, but when sheathed, it can seem a bit bulky at times. Not a good thing if you're looking for something concealable. Still, great for the price.
on May 4, 2010
I paid seven dollars for this knife, it was worth every bit of the price for what you get. It's 440 stainless around somewhat of Gerber's mystery steel but it auctally impressed me when I sharpend it how well it took an edge, I have mine sharper than a geek at chess convention (no offense). It is very thin and lightweight that's why I got it. I forget that I have it around my neck and there is no sharp edges on the sheath, speaking of the sheath, it does it's job perfectly, keeps it snug and secure and I have not had the knife fall out, but it is also not to hard to free the blade. The only thing that I think is worth changing is the handle, it is a little slick with it's plastic checker pattern, but i put some athletic tape on it and that fixed it right up. Overall I would recomend this blade to anyone that is seeking an effective "last ditch knife" for a good price. Just buy it, if you say you can't afford it then don't eat that cheeseburger all the time!
on February 13, 2016
I love this knife, the knife is simple usefull and sharp and the sheath design is very unique, it has sort of a 2 stage tension lock, the first is rather loose and could be shaken out if you shake it hard enough but it's great for if you just need your hand for a moment mid project. The second stage is very tight almost too tight, you can chuck it and the floor and I think the plastic would break before it budged. The only downside of this product is that it comes with a cheap string, however it has a belt clip and you can easily put leather string, a ball chain or paraccord through to resolve this
review image review image
on December 13, 2012
This is advertised as double edge, it is not! it is the single edge version, shame on charlie! Not worth sending back, so why the four stars? Because it is still a Blackie Collins design and a good neck knife, very sharp. I can always use a good knife and it will find a spot in my tool bag. If you need a single edge neck knife I recommend this one, lite and easy to ware.
on February 19, 2016
What a piece of junk! I own several Meyerco Knives, and even though they are cheap and made in China, many of them are quite durable and able to be a dependable blade when used correctly. The problem here is the knife wouldn't even stay in the sheath, so it was basically useless. I decided to heat up the opening of the sheath a bit to squeeze the sides in, bad move. The sheath is plastic not kydex, so after it cooled down, I pushed the knife in the sheath and it broke. The knife is now a letter opener sitting in my pencil holder.
on April 21, 2014
I originally found this knife in a random knife bin at the Army Surplus store. I liked it enough to order two more. My original I use as a normal neck knife and it is fine and holds an edge quite well. The other two were put into survival kits in my pack gun and other full length single shot H&R's. The only downside to this knife is that it doesn't have a full tang, but with a knife this size I have no intentions of putting it through abuse where that would be an issue, but if it also wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a full tang Condor or other similar. I wouldn't recommend this knife for protection as the pommel and handle aren't large enough and I could see your hand very easily slipping off and up the blade in a protection scenario.
on October 18, 2015
I bought this already knowing what I was going to get because I have a similar one from Meyerco already. Really the only downside is that the handle (and likewise the sheath) is fairly cheap plastic. For that, I would say the quality is somewhere between Good and Okay. However...

That being said, the diamond cut grip isn't bad. The blade is good quality and it fits snugly into the sheath so I don't worry about the knife accidentally falling out. It also lays pretty flat underneath clothing. This a knife I could use and not feel badly if it happens to get scuffed up a little, simply because it costs so little. For that, I would say this is definitely a great knife when considering the price!
on October 29, 2012
I do like this knife, i want to like it more, but it has some issues. As a lot of others have said, the retention on the sheath is somewhat lacking. Actually, i had to peel some plastic out of mine as it was too narrow for the knife to lock all the way in. Once that was fixed, retention was acceptable.

Sturdy blade, sturdy handle, light, grippy. Not very sharp. haven't sharpened it or used it much yet, so not sure of ease of sharpening or edge retention. I bought the regular Necklance as well as the double edge version and both are about the same quality-wise. One thing i did notice on both was that the blade was not perfectly straight in the handle. when the knife is in the sheath, it cants off to one side a bit. Not a big deal as it doesn't seem to affect retention or functionality.

Handle is a tad short to ensure a super-great grip, but it is grippy and somewhat comfortable. My first neck knife and i will call it acceptable for the price. That is key. for the price. As long as you don't expect perfection you'll be happy. It is fun to haul around though!

See 1 answered question