Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 20, 2012
In short, this bike is the absolute best electric bike I have ever ridden. R Martin has made a great product with the MiPower, and offers it for a very competitive price. It is much faster and more powerful than other e-bikes on the market, and as a medical student living in Houston, it has made my commute much more interesting and enjoyable. I would recommend it to anybody looking for a long-range commuter bike, or anybody who lives in an area with a lot of hills. Houston is fairly flat, but the throttle mechanism allows me to navigate through the Texas Medical Center and the residential roads near my home even FASTER than I did in my car! (lane sharing + taking the occasional sidewalk = NO MORE WAITING IN TRAFFIC).

There are a couple points that I would like to make about this bike, but these are intended to be helpful considerations and in no way detract from my satisfaction with this product:

1. First, a small amount of assembly is required when you receive your shipment. If you have ANY experience with bikes, this should be no problem. However, if you own literally ZERO basic household tools, you may want to pick up a screwdriver, etc. before setting up your bike (~25 minute assembly). The instruction manual included for assembly is not great (although it may be updated in the future) and could use some more detailed pictures. However, if you know some very basic things about bike assembly and you own basic tools, you shouldn't have any issues. Call customer service if you do, and they will definitely be able to help you. HINT: if you find you are having a difficult time reaching someone at the "service" number, just call the "sales" number instead and they will transfer you to a very knowledgeable service rep.

2. Second, this bike is heavier than most road bikes. It seems like a pretty obvious statement, but adding a battery pack+controller+motor to an electric bike is going to add a little weight. In addition, the disc brakes and other components are all top-of-the-line, so don't expect cheap plastic (light-weight) components. The frame R Martin uses to support this additional weight is itself a little bit heavier than the usual bike, but is VERY strong and due to the powerful motor, this added weight will in NO WAY negatively affect your riding experience. The only point of consideration is when lifting/carrying the bike. If you are a very small person, and you are planning to carry your bike up the stairs to your third floor apartment every day, you will probably have some issues with this. For me, I only need to lift the bike a very short distance to bring it inside, so this is a non-issue.

3. Third, buy a helmet if you don't already own one. This should go without saying, but this is NOT an ordinary bicycle, and just like riding a motorcycle/scooter, you will want to be safe while getting accustomed to your machine. I'm NOT saying that you will crash your bike, but bear in mind that this is a MOTORIZED vehicle and is capable of going VERY fast, so take it slow at first.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2011
WHAT A GREAT BIKE. I have had this bike since June, and ride it almost every day, wether to my office or for fun. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy riding this bike. I had knee surgery a few years back and could not ride my regular racing bike, and I missed it very much. Now I go everywhere and feel great. I have lost over 15 lbs and still going. The sales and service people have been wonderful and stand behind the product. I wish I had done this years ago. On low select I have had over 60 miles range with moderate pedaling. Thank you RMartin. I will be happy to even tell you personally about my experience. My email is smasoudi@zorostar.com

S
on June 5, 2012
I traded in an adequate but lackluster Chinese import for this MiPower (Taiwanese?) bike and there is quite a difference in quality and handling. I should mention that I purchased my MiPower from a local dealer; R Martin imports but does not manufacturer this e-bike.

The bike is direct drive which means that it is nearly indestructible but does not have the advantage of geared hubbed ebikes in climbing hills. I have a hilly commute route and this bike makes it possible. There is sufficient power that pedaling on hills with the bike being on the flat, only faster. I have one short section of 15% plus grade and the ebike plus my pedaling get me to the top, but not without some effort. One catch is that if progress uphill is too slow, the motor gets cut, at least in ped-assist mode.

Another issue is that the controller limits speeds to 20 mph (standard setting to meet US regulations and qualify as a bicycle) and will provide a sort of electric braking/resistance on descents, which is disappointing, since it means you actually end up going *slower* than you would on an unassisted bike. I believe that the regulations regarding ebikes differ by state and can be rather vague in places, but I would think that the restriction to limit speeds to 20 mph would only apply when the motor is assisting. This e-braking is actually a hazard. There is a section on my route which is single lane, no shoulder, downhill. On a street bike, I could keep up with the flow of traffic (30 mph) with no problem, but with this ebike it is difficult with frantic pedaling to maintain the 25mph speed limit, because of the unwanted braking of the motor. I end up with a pile of irate drivers behind me until I can safely get out of the single lane. I doubt that this problem is unique to this ebike, but high system integration of the battery, motor, and pedals seem quite specialized. I don't think that the controller can be reprogrammed or replaced to avoid this problem, unfortunately. The battery pack is a sealed unit, containing part of the control electronics (effort level setting, charge LEDs).

I have been very happy with the bike during the 6 months I have had it. There are lots of nicely engineered details and nothing has gone wrong at all. OK, the brakes squeak and need some adjusting from time to time, but that it about it. Of course, it is not a perfect bike, but is pretty amazing for the price.
on August 26, 2013
I owned this bike for about 3 years. From my standpoint I thought it was an amazing bike when I first got it. I think that had to do with electric bikes being somewhat new and I was unaware of what is out there now days. It ran average and steady so that part of it is good. But after 3 years I started to understand that the battery and motoro were decent but the bike itself was kinda not the best. The breaks started giving me problems and the disks breaks squeeked and then fell off totally. Also another thing the peddles started not working, they shifted and got off centered and started to wobble, so that every time I pedaled 1 side would hit the frame and stop the pedal totally. After while the pedal started falling off from the frame so that was a big issue. So all in all if your in city or place where you can ride it smoothly without putting your bike through any kind of stress and you don't plan on peddling or going to fast then you should be ok. As I stated above, the battery and motor seems very reliable and very consistant but If your looking for a more durable bike and more rugged bike, or your have many hills, I would suggest getting a normal bike and buying the motor and other parts separate, then build it yourself. That's what I did with my new one and its much more reliable from that standpoint.
on May 11, 2012
Performance is as specified. Frame could be larger for me (5'11"). Components are very good quality, and the electrical connections, cables, charger, etc. are excellent. Discs easily adjustable, as are the shocks, which can be locked out.
My Bionx PL350 has the advantage of a handle bar mounted console control/computer, but it has failed 3x's while under warranty, and dismounting/packing/mailing costs and remounting have been issues. The performance of the MiPower compares quite favorably with the Bionx PL350.
on May 10, 2012
I bought this MiPower e-bike but it does not go more than 12 miles on a charge. The top speed is not 20 mph no pedaling, but rather about 17 mph. To get 12 miles even I must ride it at about 14 mph. If I ride it full speed I get about 9 miles per charge. The bike is heavier than they stated ! Weighs in at about 66 lbs. They said they had best warranty in industry which is 1 year but not true, Busettii e-bikes has a 3 year warranty and so does Velocity e-bikes. I also bought the Busettii Big 50 mile bike and it has a much bigger battery (52 volts 15ah) about 35% bigger and goes faster and over 300% farther per charge For just $1790. I feel bad that I paid $2300 for a bike that is not performing even close to what they promised. Been trying to get my money back but its hard to deal with R martin they think if it stills runs at all then its not broken. If something doesn't even go 25% as far as they claim then it is broken. I had none of these problems with my Busettii. It really does give me 50 miles a charge. The 12 miles on the Mipower is just not worth the $2300. Buyer beware !
88 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
I have strong desire to ride a bicycle more often but what discourages me from doing so is lack of secure bicycle parking. While it is very exciting to watch continued development of electric bicycles, I still dont buy one at all. I want to but I am so worried about having my bike stolen . I just dont understand why there is so little activity on increasing availabilty of secure bicycle parking. Can it as simple as advocating for a new law mandating all stores to make it available. Can we require stores to make bicycle parking available with survelliance cameras inside the stores or other similar secure arrangements instead of simple racks outdoor ? Can't owners of strip malls be required to make secure bicycle lockers available as well? Cant the bicycle associations see why more people are hanging on older and older cars ? Isnt it because they cannot afford to buy another car , dont they ? Does it mean that they are hunting for alternative means of traveling like electric bikes ? Does this mean that we should act fast on the secure parking for ebike owners right now?