Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Deal of the Day

on November 14, 2010
When I ordered the Micca Mplay, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I wanted to make this video review so that other Amazon shoppers could see what they're getting. All in all, I do like it and I'm glad I made the purchase. With that being said, it's not a perfect device but it does the job:

Pros:
* The price was reasonable.
* Plays most of the Standard Definition file types (I use it mainly for AVI files)
* Fast startup time.
* Plays MP3s.
* The remote control has been responsive. Great for when you don't feel like getting off the couch.

Cons:
* I've had problems with the fast-forward/rewind features. Once in a while this will actually cause the file to stop playing, which is annoying when you're already 20 minutes into a video.
* It doesn't play High Definition file types. I knew this when I bought it, but it would be a nice feature to have.

I would highly recommend this device to anyone who wants to easily play video files on their TV. If you have a High Definition TV, spring for a player that supports high definition files and HDMI.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was looking for a simple & inexpensive player for a family member so they could watch various videos and digital pictures on their TV. This player did the trick. It doesn't play mkv files, but I realized that from the start & was more interested in something cheaper that would simply & mainly play AVI files. For the price of around $30, you can't beat it & it has performed well. I personally have a Western Digital & Seagate media player and they play a lot more formats as well as being able to connect to my home network via an ethernet connection, but they also cost substantially more so its all relative.

This player also doesn't have full HDMI capability (like my Seagate or WDTV have), but my family member doesn't have an HDTV anyway. Rather, they have an old "tube" TV with several RCA inputs so HDMI would be useless for their needs anyway. Again, its all relative as the price reflects its features.

I like the fact that it allows media to be played from either a SD or USB device. This gives it a little more flexibility as SD cards can be gotten for cheap these days as well as easily being able to view digital pictures since a lot of cameras use SD cards.

Another feature I like is the fact that it will resume videos when powered on. This is useful so you don't have to worry about trying to fast forward & figure out the point where you stopped watching.

As mentioned before, it does initially start up in Chinese so you have to do a few key strokes on the remote to get it to switch over to English. It would have been better if it defaulted as English, but this wasn't a deal breaker for me. Its not hard to do & once converted over to english, you are good to go for the rest of its use (unless you totally reset it).

If you are looking for a "simple" non-networkable, non-HDMI capable player that plays limited formats (no MKV) compared to other more expensive players, but for a low price, then this little device will satisfy your needs. Simple & cheap is the motto here and accomplished rather well.

*****UPDATE 10/23/12*****
Since some people have requested how to change it from the default Chinese to English during initial startup, here are the instructions I got directly from the manufacturer. Hope this helps:

Power the unit on then navigate to settings (gear icon). If you do not have type of memory plugged it, it should be the only option. The first setting is the Language settings. It should already be highlighted so just hit left or right on the remote control and you should see "English." Press OK to change the player back to English mode.

44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2010
This device is exactly what I needed. The price is definitely the main selling point of any electronic device to me these days, but obviously functionality and quality are close behind. I can't find a device that can really compete with this one, for my needs, without spending $70+. Most of this is just the reasons why I ordered it though.

It deserves 5 stars because it definitely lived up to all of my expectations. It showed up 4 days from ordering it, and worked right from the box. It booted right up in English, but I did have to change the output setting from NTSC Composite to HDTV for it to look good on my tv. After that 15 second setup I plugged in my hard drive, navigated through my folders to see how smooth it was, and then watched a movie. It's as simple as I want it to be, and the video looks GREAT for not even connecting with hdmi. I'm using it on a 46" flatscreen and it looks way better than any DVDs I've played on it, and I can't really afford Blurays anyway.

The one problem I had was with the remote, because it didn't seem to get good range at all. My couch isn't that far from the tv, and I'd have to walk closer to easily use the remote. For the price, I honestly didn't have a problem with that, and I'm usually too lazy to complain or write reviews. I decided I might as well send an email to customer service though when I got an email asking for feedback, and to my surprise I got an email within 5 minutes. They said it's definitely a faulty remote, and they sent me the tracking number for the new one they shipped out later that night.

While I'd definitely consider this a budget media player, that's some 5 star service, and everything else works just as expected. I've only been using it 3 weeks now, and I'm sure they'd be helpful if I had any trouble down the road. I'd definitely recommend this product, and it's the first one I've bothered to review on Amazon.
on February 21, 2011
I was looking for something like this and when I saw my options, I chose the Micca because it was very affordable and did everything I wanted it to. I ordered it and when it came the first thing I noticed was that it was so amazingly light weight. The other thing I was surprised by is that the remote control is operated with one of those flat batteries (like a watch battery) but they give you the battery and claim that it works for a year approximately. I've been using it for over a month and haven't had a problem so far so hopefully that's true. I'm planning on ordering a back up battery though, just in case.

After hooking this up (super simple) it took me about 30 seconds to figure out how to operate it. I have been so impressed with it, that I ordered another one for my bedroom (the first one is in the living room).

I mainly use my Micca for watching shows and movies that I've downloaded. I love being able to watch my favorite shows on a big TV instead of my small laptop screen.

Pros:
- great price, lots of uses (can view photos, videos,etc...)
- lightweight remote with plenty of functions
- You can use a flash drive or an external hardrive (I can probably hook my laptop up directly but I haven't tried it yet)
- Saves money since I don't need to use DVD's anymore!

Cons:
- The power cord is a little short, but fine really

I seriously love my Micca and would recommend it to anyone! All you need to know how to do is plug in a power cord and you can figure out the rest!!!!!!!! Great product!
on April 24, 2010
Having now worked with Jack at Micca, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed with this company. I originally left a bad review, but Jack at Micca swapped out for a new unit at their expense and this one worked very well! I think the problem with the old was just a bad cable. The updated manual can now be downloaded from their website, and that helps a lot.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2011
This is a very compact media player that works very well. I carried it to my brothers and to a friends IN MY POCKET to watch a movie and now they are both buying their own.I know I will be saving a lot of money not having to burn my movies on to a DVD. I put them on a Flash drive and watch them off of that. I plan to put all my movies on a portable hard drive and use it. Good Times.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2010
it does play mp4's i had no problem playing the mp4's i made with nero recode(standard)

for those of you with non english boxes on remote hit "set" then "right arrow" then "ok" this should change to english...this is the 1st thing it says on the online manual.

i think the updated HD version plays more files and bigger resolutions (like 60 bucks) the one by asus even has ethernet port but it's more(99+ bucks)

had this unit about a week and i think it was a good purchase...cheap as a dvd player but it can do so much more. i hooked up a 1tb drive full of mp4's and it works just great. looks really good even on composite connection. i am planning to buy one for each room.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2011
I recently purchased the MPlayer. In testing the unit out I tried to use my own 3.5 to RCA I had already connected to a TV and noticed it didn't work. I then unplugged it and used the one that came with the unit, it worked. Thinking my other cable was bad I tried another 3.5 to RCA cable I had and again it didn't work.

So it appears the cables are proprietary and perusing their website I found no option for ordering replacement ones. So if this little cable goes bad or gets lost I'm screwed.

I intend to use this unit a lot and with a variety of TVs. Unplugging and replugging cables is a hassle so if the cable is proprietary I might need to make my next purchase be the NBox. Other than that I like the system I just wish a standard 3.5 to RCA worked.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 10, 2012
I love this media player, I use it alot, but it doesn't play MP4 files...meaning I have to convert my .mp4 videos to .avi files which double in size on my hard drive I use to store my TV Shows to play them! I still love the player despite that! I will probably be upgrading to a better Micca player soon (one that plays mp4's of course)...I see the new Micca Players can store a 2.5 hard drive inside...woo hoo!

UPDATE: still have & still using my Micca player everyday since my purchase in 2011...still pleased with this purchase & the Micca brand!! Definitely worth the money!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2010
At the start, let me just say....I love this device. Simple and very effective. As with my CDs, I've been converting my DVD collection over to digital files for the better part of the last year. Mainly for the benefit of space,conservation,and watching what I wanted while on the go, whether on PC or portable media player. But sometimes I just don't feel like watching everything I have on a compact scale.

Honestly, I didn't know that there were products such as this, but with some investigating discovered that media players like this have been available for a couple of years. So enoungh of the personal matters and on to my review.

Delivery: Ordered this right before Christmas and got it less than a week later with free shipping. Very impressed.

Price: Paid $28, which is a steal, and it works better than some DVD and media players I've had at two or three times the price.

Hook Up: From box to TV took honestly about 30 seconds. Started right up w/o any hassle.

Performance: Had files ready on a flash drive and plugged it right in. Played AVI and MP4 files with no problem and picture looks great.(depending also on how your files look as well). JPGs and GIFs look very crisp and clean (also depending on the files, too).The layout for the menus are plain, but easy to follow. File search is simple and in alphabetical order (as long as files are labeled for easy review).
Only complaint, if any, is the reach of the remote to the player that some reviewers have complained is to short. My TV in the room is about 10 feet away from my bed and did have to stretch out my arm a little to get the connection.

Extra: Before it's delivery, went to the Micca website and downloaded the update and the manuals to brush up on it before it got here.It did help out a lot just in getting it going w/o any fuss when I hooked it up.

So, in short, quick delivery, good price range, and very effective for what its purpose is. Hope you enjoy the one you get.