After finding a manual typewriter in the basement of a friend's house, Michael J. Sullivan inserted a blank piece of paper and typed: It was a dark and stormy night. He was just eight years old and mimicking the greatest (or only) writer he knew at the time...Snoopy. That spark ignited a flame and the desire to fill blank pages would become a life-long obsession. As an adult, Michael spent more than ten years developing his craft by studying authors such as Stephen King, Ernest Hemingway, and John Steinbeck. During that time, he wrote thirteen novels but found no traction in publishing. He did the only sane thing he could think of (since insanity is repeating the same act but expecting a different result), he quit and vowed never to write creatively again.
Michael stayed away from writing for a decade and returned to the keyboard in his forties...but with one condition: he wouldn't seek publication. Instead, he wrote a series of books that had been building in his head over his hiatus. His first reading love was fantasy, and his hope was to help foster a love of reading in his then thirteen-year-old daughter, who struggled due to severe dyslexia. After reading the third book of this series, his wife insisted the novels needed to "get out there." When Michael refused to jump back onto the query-go-round, she took over the publication tasks and has run "the business side" of his writing ever since.
Michael is one of the few authors who has successfully published through all three routes: small press, self, and big five. Some key accomplishments of his career include:
* Named to io9's Most Successful Self-Published Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors
* Sold more than half a million English copies
* Been translated into twelve foreign languages
* Spent more than a year on Amazon's Bestselling Fantasy Author's list
* His Death of Dulgath Kickstarter is the third-highest funded fiction project of all time.
* Had his books named to more than 100 "best of" or "most anticipated" lists including those compiled by Library Journal, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads.com, and Audible.com
Today, Michael continues to fill blank pages with nine released novels, six awaiting publication, and a new series in the developmental stages. These include:
* 2011 - 2012: His six-book self-published series, The Riyria Revelations, were re-released through Orbit (the fantasy imprint of Hachette Book Group).
* 2013: The launch of his Riyria Chronicles series with two additional books released with Orbit.
* 2014: Hollow World, a sci-fi novel released by Tachyon Publications (print) and self (ebook)
* 2015: The scheduled release for The Death of Dulgath (third Riyria Chronicle novel).
* 2016: The scheduled release for The Age of Myth, the debut novel in The First Empire series from Del Rey (fantasy imprint of Penguin Random House).
* 2017 - 2010: The scheduled release of three more books with Del Rey. This will be a mixture of First Empire titles and other books in "Elan" such as a Riyria story or a spin off with other characters from the Riyria books.
* Riyria Blog: www.riyria.com
* Hollow World Blog: www.hollowworldnovel.wordpress.com
* First Empire Series Blog: www.firstempireseries.com
* Twitter: @author_sullivan
* Riyria Facebook: www.facebook.com/riyria
* Author Facebook: www.facebook.com/author.michael.sullivan
THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS (Omnibus Editions)
* Theft of Swords: contains The Crown Conspiracy & Avempartha
* Rise of Empire: contains Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm
* Heir of Novron: contains Wintertide & Percepliquis
THE RIYRIA CHRONICLES
* The Crown Tower
* The Rose and the Thorn
* The Death of Dulgath (coming Nov 2015)
* Blood of Thieves (Omnibus that contains The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn)
THE FIRST EMPIRE (signed to Random House's Del Rey imprint)
* The Age of Myth (coming Summer 2016)
* The Age of Swords (release TBD)
* The Age of War (release TBD)
* The Age of Legends (release TBD)
* The Age of Empire (release TBD)
* Hollow World (time-travel science fiction)
* Hollow World sequel (in development)
ORIGINAL BOOKS OF THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS (out of print)
* The Crown Conspiracy
* Nyphron Rising
* The Emerald Storm
* The Viscount and the Witch: A Riyria Short
* The Jester: A Riyria Short
* Professional Integrity: A Riyria Short
* Greener Grass (time-travel science fiction)
* The Riyria Sampler (compilation of several Riyria short stories)
* Traditions: (traditional fantasy, coming soon)
* God's Game: (contemporary fantasy, coming soon)
* Burning Alexandria: (dystopian science fiction, coming soon)
* Autumn's Mist (contemporary fantasy, coming soon)
SHORT STORIES IN ANTHOLOGIES
* Unbound (coming soon)
* The End - Visions of Apocalypse
* Triumph Over Tragedy
* Help Fund my Robot Army