on February 24, 2001
This is a review of the VHS video "Michael Jackson: Video Greatest Hits HIStory" Vol. 1. Whether or not you are a fan of Michael Jackson, this is an essential video because it shows how good music videos can be. BILLIE JEAN is a striking video that broke down color barriers on MTV; THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL has a loose improvisational feeling to it which makes it fun to watch; BLACK OR WHITE is modern masterpiece complete with morphing and the controversial "panther dance" sequence. In the original version of this video, Michael smashes in a car windshield that has racist grafitti on it... he is fighting back against the racism. However, in the version included on this tape, the grafitti is edited out, so we just see Michael smashing a window for no apparent reason. Even so, the video is still an amazing experience! ROCK WITH YOU takes us back to 1980 before Michael's plastic surgery; BAD and BEAT IT include some of the best choreography even seen in music videos, although the version of BAD on this tape is the short version, not the full version with Wesley Snipes. This tape also includes the videos for Thriller, Remember The Time, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough and Heal The World in their entirety. This video is a powerful mix of music, dance, and film. Even if you don't think Michael is the King of Pop, this collection proves he is the King of VIDEO!
on April 25, 2005
This is an excellent DVD. The sound and picture quality is brilliant and the songs and music videos are some of the best around. The King Of Pop is great!
Brace Yourself - A good intro to the DVD showing clips of Michael performing live in front of many fans. "Brace Yourself"...
Billie Jean - This is one of the best Michael Jackson videos ever released. A highlight.
The Way You Make Me Feel - This nine and a half minute version is great and also rarely seen!
Black Or White - My all-time favourite Michael video. It made me laugh at the beginning and the rest of it was brilliant!
Rock With You - Not keen on the song but I love the video!
Bad - The full-length 18-minute version is a must-have! It shows Michael as a young school boy at the beginning.
Thriller - Possibly the most popular Michael video. It needed to make this collection!
Beat It - A great video and a great song. Another highlight.
Remember The Time - I just love this video! Not only is the song good, but it includes a great egyptian-style video!
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Not one of my favourites, but not bad either.
Heal The World - This song and video end the DVD nicely!
Overall, this may not be as good as History On Film: Volume 2 or Dangerous: The Short Films, but it's still worth the money.
on March 20, 2001
This spectacular compilation of Michael Jackson's music videos is a must-see for all MJ fans, and anyone else who enjoys good music and dancing. This tape includes the videos:
-Billie Jean -The Way You Make Me Feel -Black or White* -Rock with You -Bad (shortened version without Wesley Snipes) -Thriller (entire video with credits) -Beat It -Remember the Time -Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough -Heal The World
This is a great video that shows not only the evolution of Michael Jackson's music, but also that of his appearance. Co-stars include Eddie Murphy, Iman, Magic Johnson, McAuley Culkin, Bart and Homer Simpson, and others. An exceptional video!!! *In the video Black or White, Michael appears to be furiously smashing the windows of a car for no reason. In the original, racist graffiti is painted on the windows. This was edited out in this version. Relax, Michael is not crazy. Or at least not that crazy.
on January 5, 2002
Ok, I love Michael Jackson like the next fan. Having that established, my review is not like some of the others who use this as an opportunity to say how great he is. Let's talk about this DVD as a product. It's horrible. The quality is so grainy and you see digital blips at a distracting rate (Especially in The Way You Make Me Feel). Sure we have longer versions and other videos that are rarely seen - good keepers for our children and our children's children (yes, I'm mocking that line in Heal the World), but we also bought the DVD hoping to see DVD quality. Watching some of these videos on regular TV would be more clear than watching it on the DVD. I was very disappointed. One time I wondered if I was viewing the result of a video camera taping a movie screen. History part II on DVD is incredible (MTV music awards performance being the best I have ever seen and seen and re-seen!) So I was expecting at least the same level of picture and sound quality like its later release. Also, there is no surround sound (5.1) on History Part I like there is on History Part II. On a few songs, it sounds like they added the voice track over the regular sound track to give it a sense of "surround." Horrible sound production. I'm not being picky here, it sounds like you're in a cave with so much echo (For those of you who have it, listen to Black or White in 5.1 mode, for example). And why do we need Thriller on History part I and II? Why not include that "Making of Thriller" documentary that we all remember on MTV and HBO in the 80s? Nothing. Just the Thriller video that is redundant with the Part II DVD.
I'd seriously consider NOT buying this one if I were you. Try to rent it or borrow it first so you know what you're going to get. Don't get me wrong, he's the KING OF POP, blah blah, blah, but I do have technical standards now that DVDs are the norm.
on September 9, 2000
This video is 10 great short films of Michael Jacksons career spanning from 1979 to 1992. The videos are Billie Jean, The WAy You Make Me Feel, Black or White, Rock With You, Bad(shortened version), Thriller(yes, the whole thing), Beat It, Remeber the Time, Dont Stop Till You Get Enough, and Heal the World. The best ones are the ones that actually have a little bit of acting in them like The Way You Make Me Feel, Black or White, Thriller, and Remeber the Time. This video is great for any Micael fan and any music fan considering it contains 7 # 1 HIts.
on April 21, 2001
Easily the most signifigant home music DVD release ever, this one has got all the major hit videos for the fans. Michael Jackson (with Madonna) is the most prominant artist making music videos (he will be back, watch out!) and this DVD collection only proves that fact over and over again.
What more can I say? This DVD is slammin'. Right from beginning to end.
Black Or White
The Way You Make Me Feel
Remember The Time
Rock With You
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
and other cool videos and clips.
This things got it all for the small Michael Jackson fan and for the major Michael Jackson fan.
In fact, I'm so sure you'll enjoy this DVD, I'll pay you to buy it!!! :)
Five out of Five
on January 3, 2004
You'll like him once you get your hands on this plethora of Michael Jackson's greatest and most well-known short films of the 80's and 90's, simply titled "Video Greatest Hits: HIStory". Michael Jackson, with his outstanding efforts in music and entertainment, stands tall as one of the pioneers of music and music videos, and this immaculate collection of short films proves just that.
This DVD (or VHS, whichever you may have) features 10 of Michael's top short films, all in their full-length, uncut entirety!!!
The lineup of short films include:
1. Brace Yourself (A Kaleidoscope of Michael Jackson HIStory) : Although it is not a short film, it does give you a taste of Michael Jackson's impact on the world of music, the fans, and the world, and puts out a simple message: Brace Yourself.
2. Billie Jean - The popular video that single-handedly broke the barrier between not only man and music, but also the color barrier on MTV, as he became the first black musical artist to have a video shown on MTV.
3. The Way You Make Me Feel - A great video all by itself, this video, which lasts nearly 9 1/2 minutes, features Michael at a high point in his career, with his innovative dance moves and impeccable standards for music!
4. Black Or White - This video, aired in 1991 on many broadcast stations around the nation, started the beginning of Michael's music onslaught of the 90's...and a lot of controversy as well. This video, featuring dance moves galore and a kaleidoscope of nations around the world, also featured a scene at the end, most commonly called "the panther scene", as it features a panther who morphs into Michael Jackson and then dances in the street, ravaging a car with gang and racist graffiti sprayed on the windows, and sexy yet somewhat disturbing gyrations with his crotch. This scene sparked outrage, but no matter what, this is one of his best short films.
5. Rock With You - A video made in 1979 features Michael Jackson dancing in a sparkling jumpsuit, singing. It doesn't seem like much, but the countless lights and other special effects you will see definitely make it worthwhile
6. Bad - Directed by world-renown director Martin Scorsese, This full 18 minute long version follows a high school kid (played by Michael) who goes to a private school. When school lets out he then goes home to visit his friends, who get the feeling that he has changed, and he's not "bad" anymore. Michael proves that he is, though, by showing off many mezmorizing dance moves. The choreography in this short film is just too good for anybody but Michael to perform. This video is probably one of his greatest.
7. Thriller - This short film showed that one man can indeed change the way people look at the connection between music and film. Michael does a fantastic job in this video, with the sometimes-crazy choreography and such. A must-see for any person, MJ fan or not. Directed by John Landis.
8. Beat It - Michael does it again with this music video, as it follows two gangs and their vendettas between each other. Again, the choreography is to die for, and the layout is just spectacular!
9. Remember The Time - Michael will blow you away in this short film featuring Michael, comedian/actor Eddie Murphy, supermodel Iman, and basketball legend Magic Johnson. Set in Egypt, Michael dazzles even the faithless soul with dance moves, special effects, and anything you would wish for in a short film. Definitely one to see!
10. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson's first major music video features special effects and pretty good dancing. Good for its time, but unfortunately does not stand the test of time as well as people hoped. A good video though.
11. Heal The World - Not a short film, but rather a look into the heartache of sick and dying children around the world. Michael, in this video, hopes to touch your heart with this video and hopes that you can do what you can to "Heal The World".
In closing, Michael Jackson proves to be the single greatest musical icon that the world has ever seen, and not a single person can make the same impact that Michael has made in music!
on July 2, 2004
Honestly, I love Michael Jackson's music and have purchased History 2 on VHS (the gold box) and Dangerous: The Short Films before I got this. I was excited because I thought I would see some things different on this DVD, but it's all the same! You're better off purchasing Dangerous: The Short Films or History 2 because most of the same material on this video is on the others, and the others have some new added footage.
on March 1, 2002
No one has as much great music videos or "Short Films" as Michael Jackson has. This DVD shows that MJ is a "Trend Setter" and not a "Trend Follower". Michael's videos are very original and different. Here are the 10 videos:
1) BILLIE JEAN - This video is great. It goes very well with the song. I'm sure you all saw it.
2)*THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL (Long Version) - This is a rarely seen 9:30 min. version of this video. It has a whole beginning when MJ tries to fit in with hoodlums.
3)*BLACK OR WHITE - The Best Video on here!! The Complete Version, with the ending, when MJ is dancing in the alley, and smashing the windows with the car. This is the uncensored version, with the bad words spraypainted on the car. It ends with Bart and Homer Simpson.
4) ROCK WITH YOU - This is so Old School. Michael is dancing in this really tacky suit, with all these lights on him. Klassic MJ video!
5)*BAD (Long Version)- This is the 2nd best video on here!! It's like a movie!! Michael plays a character named Darryl in this video. The long version has never been released on TV. Only on this DVD and MJ's Website.
6) THRILLER - You guys have seen it tons of times. You know how good it is!
7) BEAT IT - This video is pretty cool. The dancing at the end is good.
8) REMEMBER THE TIME - This video takes place in Egypt, when Michael entertains the queen. The dance break in this video is sweet.
9) DON'T STOP 'TIL YOU GET ENOUGH - like "Rock with you" this video is klassic! Michael dances while different backgrounds are behind him.
10) HEAL THE WORLD - This is the reason why I onle gave this DVD 4.5 stars. Why is this video on here? I understand that Michael wants to heal the world, but couldn't he do it somewhere else? He could've put something better on here (along with the HIStory CD), like "Smooth Criminal", or "In The Closet". I'm sorry, this video does NOT fit in with the rest.
The DVD also has the lyrics that can go along with the video, and it show MJ's discography, also.
Besides "Heal the World" this DVD is awesome. Especially since all of the videos are full length and some are not the short ones that they play on TV. Get this DVD!!! It's Worth it.
* "Bad" and "The Way You Make me Feel" were not full length on the VHS version of this video, so that is why it is listed as "long version". Also, on the VHS version of this video, at the end of the "Black Or White" video, there is no spraypaint on the car, because of the bad words.
on November 25, 2001
I've been a big fan of Michael Jackson ever since I heard the "BAD" album for the first time in the early '90s. I've heard his music before hand of course, but never really paid much attention. When I bought my first video from Michael called "Moonwalker", I was hooked. This video was amazing and I was highly impressed with his dancing especially with "Smooth Criminal". I love to dance today, because of Michael Jackson's music videos like "Billie Jean : Motown 25 Performance", "Thriller", and "Smooth Criminal". After I purchased "Moonwalker", I bought all of Michael's solo albums on tapes at first then on CDs, than I bought Jackson 5 (Motown) / Jacksons (Epic) albums on CDs and tapes, than I ventured on to buy as many music videos of him as I can find. At the time I was a fanatic, I couldn't find his best music videos on film in one collection, so when the "Michael Jackson: Video Greatest Hits - HIStory" came out on VHS, I was highly excited and bought it the first day it was released on VHS in 1995. I was very happy with this video, but a little disappointed that the "BAD" music video was shortened. Now in 2001, I bought the DVD version and I'm happy to say that "BAD" video is in it's entirety, with Wesley Snipes and all the drama.
The DVD features:
- Brace Yourself
- Billie Jean
- The Way You Make Me Feel (complete version)*
- Black Or White (complete version)
- Rock With You
- BAD (complete version)*
- Beat It
- Remember The Time
- Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
- Heal The World
* In it's entirety, unlike the VHS version
If you have the VHS version, getting the DVD would still be highly worthwhile just for "BAD" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" short films. I can't wait for the next Michael Jackson music video to come out, it's probably going to have "You Rock My World" music video, I know it's going to be phenomenal.