5.0 out of 5 stars Embrace Your Inner Carnivore!
Chef Michael Symon is serious about meat...and 100+ recipes on the topic proves it!

Published 21 months ago by Josh Howard

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more.
Not at all what we expected, not the kind of recipes we see on his show. We returned the book shortly after we got it.
Published 8 months ago by Pete Stadler

5.0 out of 5 stars Embrace Your Inner Carnivore!, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers (Hardcover)

I am really enjoying the book and the layout of it. It is broken down by the different meats: Beef, Pork, Lamb & Goat, Poultry, Game, and a section on side dishes to accompany the various meat dishes. I was especially pleased to find the game section, as venison is one of my favorite meats. At the start of each section there is a guide for selecting the meat, and then a guide to proper cooking temperatures (safety first!). It's great that these are included, as they speak to cooks of all backgrounds, especially those that may not be as familiar cooking a particular type of meat.

The recipes are great (I have tried two so far, but read ALL of them), and I have recommended it to at least 3 friends already in the few short days I have had it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Carnivore!, November 5, 2012
So far we have tried about five different recipes from this book and each one has been great! They are not too complex to make, and the flavors are out of this world! We just tried the pork and beans recipe and oh my goodness was it delicious! Definitely not what you are thinking when you hear pork and beans. This book is full of great recipes that I can't wait to try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meat lovers go-to guide for both weeknight and special occasion cooking., October 22, 2012
Between this newly-released cookbook and the recipes that have already been shared on Symon's Suppers, we have already made a number of the selections and each one is top notch.

Michael Symon really knows how to present food in an approachable way offering solid tips on selecting and preparing quality meats. He has a genuine respect for quality ingredients and encourages getting to know your local meat purveryor and the folks at your local farmer's market.

The flavors in each recipe are well balanced and it's easy to see why he has earned the title of Iron Chef. I love how the cookbook is laid out by meat category and, like the previous reviewer, enjoyed reading through the entire cookbook and taking in the wonderful photos of prepared dishes. This will be our "go to" cookbook for weeknight meals as well as special occasions and relaxed weekend cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Symon and meat. Enough said., January 13, 2013
My first encounter with a Michael Symon recipe was last Thanksgiving when his recipe for Brussels Sprouts appeared in a food magazine. I made it and was rewarded with a side dish of such indescribable deliciousness that it has become a fixture on our Thanksgiving menu... and every other menu, for that matter. My second encounter was a few months ago when I went to Cleveland and had dinner at one of Symon's restaurants. It was amazing and prompted my son to give this book to me for Christmas. In short order, it has become one of my favorite cookbooks.

So far, I have only made a few of the recipes, but what recipes they are!
-- The Pan-Roasted Sirloin with Chanterelles and Soy was easy and massively flavorful, and I have also made it with a mix of different, less expensive mushrooms than chanterelles with equally good results.
-- The Brick-Grilled Chicken was equally easy and so delicious that my husband refuses to order chicken in restaurants anymore since he'd rather have this one. Since it's currently not outdoor grilling season where I live, I made the chicken in a grill pan and can't imagine that it could have turned out any better. Wonderful flavor with the crispiest skin I've ever managed to get on a chicken. So, so good.
-- There's a recipe for wings with a delicious dipping sauce that can go with so many other things. I didn't make the wings, only the sauce which is simply equal parts sriracha sauce and honey is just too easy to be so good... but it is.
-- One disappointment was the Lamb Bolognese. Not that it wasn't good. It was as good as any truly good, rich Bolognese sauce, but it did not go beyond that in the way that I have come to expect from Symon. I would say that it's on par with Ina Garten's sinful Bolognese, only without the cup of cream (and attendant calories - Yikes!) she puts in hers. Another thing I should mention is that I used half lamb/half beef in the recipe instead of all lamb, because my family finds ground lamb dishes to be a bit too strong-tasting. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly as written.

In addition to the carnivorous selections, there is also a section on Sides that includes a variety of recipes for vegetables, salads, pasta, polenta, tortillas and condiments.

This book is beautifully designed and filled with gorgeous full-page color photographs, including those of most of the finished dishes. The recipes are not for utter beginners in that directions assume some knowledge of cooking and are not elementarily step-by-step. Neither is the book for engineers or other perfectionists who prefer to have very specific instructions and amounts of food given in weight, rather than "6 chicken thighs" or "2 racks of lamb" as Symon does on occasion. While that attention to detail is necessary in a baking cookbook, it is not as crucial here, where the quality of ingredients and a watchful eye toward "doneness" are what make the difference.

To be realistic, there are a number of recipes that I don't think I will ever make: Liverwurst, Head Cheese, Tripe (which, to my taste, I don't think even Michael Symon can redeem), Veal Hearts and some of the game, like elk, which I've never seen in any of my markets (but which I might be tempted to order over the internet because the recipe sounds so darn good). But I will try tackling some of the sausages, the homemade bacon, and some other things that I have not attempted before simply because Symon makes me trust that the outcome will be worth the effort.

As a side note: I generally don't judge cookbooks by how many recipes I think I will make. I judge them on how good those are that I do make, and whether or not I will make them again. And I will most certainly make these recipes again and again and again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 25, 2012
I like this book a lot. It's got great tips on cooking every different kind of meat. There are great recipes and pictures to follow along with. What I like most is that not all the recipes are super complicated. I'm just learning to cook and I feel I could tackle some of these recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best meat lover's cookbook ever!, November 24, 2012
Annette Macintyre (Roaming Shores, OH USA) - See all my reviews
To begin with, I just like Michael Symon. I lived in Cleveland and ate at his restaurants. The book is good because it covers all the basic types of meat, offers easy to follow recipes and also has detailed photos of them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cookbook!, December 27, 2013
This cookbook is great for the Man Chef in your life! And all other men you know to get them inspired! I highly recommend this cookbook to anybody who loves cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!!, June 29, 2013
De-mystifies the preparation and cooking of any meat or meat dish. The addition of less commonly served meats and easy home preparation of commonly purchased meat preparations such as bacon and sausage will painlessly expand your horizons out of the average comfort zone.

5.0 out of 5 stars lizzy, March 21, 2013
I love this book & have made many recipe's from it. Easy to follow instructions & not alot of fancy ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook, January 2, 2013
I really enjoy this cookbook. It has flavorful...unique...easy to follow recipes that are also easy to make. The pictures are also great. His prior cook book is also excellent as it has wonderful everyday cooking tips and techniques that will make you a better cook.

Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers
Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers by Michael Symon (Hardcover - October 16, 2012)
$35.00 $22.49