Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on February 16, 2013
Delivery was quick and the 'chains' seem to be well made. I did a practice install right away to make sure they fit and they did. I wouldn't say installation was easy, wheel clearance on my PT Cruiser is very tight, but it wasn't too bad - about five minutes per wheel. I appreciate the thought regarding the gloves included with the chains because installing these in the snow, on the street, is going to be a messy job. But really, the gloves are just thin plastic. I'd be surprised if they held up to one installation so I'll be looking for some heavy duty elbow length gloves. A little more practical is the instructions that came with the chains. They're printed on a sheet of thick plastic that I'll use for a ground cloth when installing the chains in the snow. Of course, there's been no snow since I got them so I can't say yet how well they work. I'll update after I've used them.

UPDATE 1

OK, we've had our first real snowfall this week and I got to try out the chains. Our driveway is dirt, 80-100 feet and about a 30 degree slope, so this is where I really need traction help. With these chains on the Cruiser I went from a dead stop at the bottom of the driveway straight up with no problem at all. These things really work! I don't drive a lot, and won't need to drive in the snow very much at all, so durability probably won't be a problem, but I'll update again if there's an issue.

UPDATE 2

At the start of my second winter using these the first real problem has come up. Got some wheel spin going up the aforementioned driveway and the car started to slide sideways, causing one of the chains to to slip toward the inside of the wheel and get caught on the suspension. Did a good job of destroying the chain but no damage to the car. So I'm trying a second set, and this time I went one size larger. MUCH easier to put on and seem to fit much better too. The inner elastic belt now sits well up on the sidewall, whereas with the smaller size it barely fit inside the tread surface and sometimes would be on the tread. I think the lesson to be learned here is DO NOT, as much as you can possibly control it, allow any wheel spin with these chains.
33 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2013
Do not get these as a substitute for chains if you intend to travel in the mountains where chains might be required (ex: Mammoth, Lake Tahoe, Big Bear, etc.). These are not intended for travelling, but for short distance emergency use only.

The descriptions now says: "Not yet approved by the California DOT as a chain substitute for maintain pass travel"

I wish I had seen that before. Mine fell off on first travel to Big Bear.
Yes they were easy to install, but I never had a chance to try the removal. They also had a ton of grip, much more than metal chains. Though I would say that's a negative as it makes the car feel too imbalanced in corner entry, as the rear tires have way less grip and it makes the rear end loose. You will spin entering corners if your car don't have a good traction control to catch the massive oversteer you're going to get with the Easy Grip. The oversteer is less pronounced with metal chains.

In fact, I don't know why anyone would want to bring those for "emergency use", as they cost more and the box is bigger. The extra 5 min it takes to install real reliable chains is well worth it. Don't be lazy and get real chains.

Pro:
- Easy to install
- More grip than metal chains
- Look cool I guess

Con:
- Not for travelling
- Not approved for California
- Fall off too easily
- Too much grip, imbalances the car handling too much
- Cost more than real reliable metal chains
- They take about twice more storage space than metal chains
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
Well, yes, they work. But they were clearly designed for guys not girls because getting them on the tires is almost impossible. The bands are very tight and very difficult to stretch out far enough to get over the tire and I'm pretty strong for a girl! So ladies, my advice if you buy these, prepare to arm yourselves also with a pair of sturdy work gloves, a mat to put down on the ground to save your knees/toes of your shoes/boots, some brute strength and at least 20 minutes. I bought these for my mini-clubman solely so that I could get up the 30 degree icy driveway of the new house in a Maine winter and basically, that's all I'll be able to use them for. No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't get the band completely over the tire. So about 1/4 of the band was left sitting on the tread, which is what the instructions tell you not to do. Consequently I won't be driving anywhere far with them as either they'll come off or cause other damage to the car from flapping around. I'd hoped that these were going to be an easy, fast solution, especially since the wheel clearance on the mini is too small for regular chains. Honestly though, they're so hard to put on, they'll be a last resort only.
44 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2014
You must know the size of your tires before ordering this item. It is fairly easy to slip on, easy to slip off, and actually does provide decent traction on slippery snowy/icy roads. You cannot drive over 25 MPH with these. My car is a front-wheel car with a VERY light back end. Because of this, I need TWO sets of these. Your mileage may vary.
55 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2013
The metal clip came apart after 3 miles in the snow. You can guess what happens when there are loose parts flying around on your tire.
I will try to return the part as soon as I can.
on February 17, 2015
I bought a pair of these chains for my grandson a year ago for Christmas. He finally had the occasion to use them last night. One chain fell off after he made it over the first hill and somewhere along the way home the other one fell off. When he got the chains he read the directions, put them on and took them off so he would make sure he knew how to put them on correctly when the time came so I'm sure he had t hem on correctly. Prior to this set he had the regular metal chains and they worked Great for 8 years and are still working great. He had given his old car and chains to his brother and when he bought a new car we bought these chains thinking they would be so much easier to put on. They are easy to put on and take off but do not stay on, I DO NOT recommend these chains and the next pair will be metal like his old ones.
on March 21, 2015
l purchased these after using the spring metal ones and have to say once they are on they are wonderful. l could not handle the noise and rumble from the old ones. l have survived 23 years in the baltimore city fire department and do not consider my self weak but l had trouble getting them on with out jacking up my car and l suggest checking the back cord before every trip on the road. lt can move after they have been used and mine slipped off after the cord broke using it on some partially covered roads. l think that they are awsome in a storm when on and l traversed some rough hills with eight inches of snow no problems. l would like to see some improvements made in the install area maybe with a rear tire side self tentioner system that would solve the hard install and keep it from breaking and coming off. This will eventually be a five star product for car owners if they address a few issues. l also have to mention that after 80 miles on partially covered roads the tread area is still great
on January 21, 2014
Purchased these in 2011 and put them in the trunk "Just in Case". Well, I just used them in a surprise snow storm, 2014. Started out without them and slid all over the place, then pulled over and put them on, in the snow. It was like I installed 4 wheel drive. The traffic conditions were at less than 25 mph. One spot on my route was a small hill where front wheel drive cars were sliding and had difficulty getting up the hill. I was able to go right past them without sliding and no problems. I have a Cadillac CTS with rear wheel drive (that's why I purchased the chains). Great insurance policy. Must have for all rear wheel drives.
on December 3, 2013
I could not get these chains onto my tires. One must need the strength of a gorilla and I 'work out' 6 days a week. They are a wonderful concept, but Michelin needs to redesign for earier installation. I would hate to try to put these on in a blinding snow storm.
on February 3, 2014
Pros- Light Weight, No Rust, Durable. You can stop on a dime even when on solid ice. Big 4WD trucks were in the ditch, spinning in the middle of the road. I went straight up a steep snow/ice covered hill and never even spun a wheel. One guy followed me to ask what I had on my tires. He wanted a set. He drove a snow plow truck....

Cons- Actually just one. When brand new they are very stiff and hard to get on. After the first use they go on easy.